Expired Hot Deals

[Target] Target Canada - iphone 5 $199 on a 2 YEAR!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2013 10:12 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1748 posts
1859 upvotes

[Target] Target Canada - iphone 5 $199 on a 2 YEAR!

On page 22 of the new TARGET CANADA flyer,

the iphone 5 is listed as $199 with a 2 year contract

This can be seen on their site.
41 replies
Aug 27, 2008
912 posts
608 upvotes
Ottawa
FYI Carrier is Rogers or Bell.

Nice to see a 2-year contract and not the usual 3.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10769 posts
3316 upvotes
Not really a savings or even hot. Might appeal to someone who hates 3 years for whatever reason.

With Rogers I can upgrade after 2 years on my 3 year contract anyway.
Jan 21, 2011
220 posts
51 upvotes
New Westminster
Wish all carriers did 2 year deals instead of stacking the remaining year onto your upgrade.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
Ummm, this is an AWESOME deal. People are STILL complaining that the hottest (subjective) phones on the market are going for a 2 year term LOL ETA: Would be an awesome deal if you can get a retention plan with it rather. Is this Canadawide?
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17994 posts
4533 upvotes
Toronto
Except, AFAIK, neither Bell nor Rogers have qualifying 2-year plans for the iPhone 5. So, I wonder if this is a typo. We'll see what happens though.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21536 posts
156468 upvotes
GTA
LostInTruth wrote: Ummm, this is an AWESOME deal. People are STILL complaining that the hottest (subjective) phones on the market are going for a 2 year term LOL
Considering how much we are gouged by the major carriers, I wouldn't blame them. Not an iPhone fan by any stretch, but with 5S around the corner, this doesn't look that great. Yeah, yeah, I know, there will always be something newer, but when you're about to lock yourself up for 2+ years, might as well get the latest heading into it.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
^^ Prices have dropped significantly and a lot of progress has been made to the networks. People will not care until they pay peanuts for cell service. With such a small population, you have to make up the cost somehow, it takes money to build things and employee people, and maintain equipment, and appease investors, etc etc
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10728 posts
2925 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
LostInTruth wrote: ^^ Prices have dropped significantly and a lot of progress has been made to the networks. People will not care until they pay peanuts for cell service. With such a small population, you have to make up the cost somehow, it takes money to build things and employee people, and maintain equipment, and appease investors, etc etc
All true but not at all relevant to the extreme costs for wireless in Canada. There is one reason and it is simple. It doesn't require any excuses about low population density, etc. Canadian wireless carriers are the most profitable in the world. That's it. Simple. That's why we pay more.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10728 posts
2925 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
x-batman wrote: It's a typo.
I think it must be. Unless Target somehow made a special deal with both Rogers and Bell. On the otherhand, if it is a typo and it is $200 on a 3 year, then they are selling it for $20 more than both of those carriers are, so it is actually a very cold, cold deal.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Jul 11, 2004
890 posts
155 upvotes
kool1 wrote: Not really a savings or even hot. Might appeal to someone who hates 3 years for whatever reason.

With Bell, I was told by the brick-and-mortar sales person that on a 3 year contract, that I would be able to do a hardware upgrade in 24 months as long as I signed up for another 3 year term. Sometime later, they yanked that and changed it to 30 months. At least for Bell, nowhere in the contract terms did it state that I was eligible for a hardware upgrade in 24 months. It's that Bell at that time was routinely allowing for an upgrade in 24 months. They pulled that because the cost of the 'Super Smartphones' were so expensive and they supposedly couldn't afford it anymore.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10728 posts
2925 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
kool1 wrote: Not really a savings or even hot. Might appeal to someone who hates 3 years for whatever reason.

Only if you are on a corporate account. Otherwise, it's been a long time since HUPs were allowed at 24 months.

That aside, if it is a 2 year instead of a 3 year, given the subsidy repayment is essentially a form of financing the product price, then a 2 year is 1/3 shorter financing term. That equates to much lower overall TCO.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)