Shopping Discussion

Target, Mexx, Sony, Jacob.... What's next to go?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2016 1:28 am
Tags:
None
Apr 22, 2015
388 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I noticed a toysrus closed down in cedarbrae mall, I hope that isn't a sign they are heading out
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: They trimmed the fat by getting rid of their highest rent locations first. (ie Downtown Toronto-Eaton Centre)
God only knows if they'll be able to keep the remaining locations open much longer.
I keep going into Sears in hopes of finding something to buy that I want and keep walking out empty handed.

Oddly enough they sell some stuff I would buy on their website but to go to the trouble of ordering online I have to really want it or it has to be substantially cheaper than a retail store however, neither is the case for Sears.ca

With Target and Zellers gone you'd think it should be shooting fish in a barrel for them to be the alternative to Walmart but it's like they're trying to fail.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
JACKIE26 wrote: Please no more dollar stores there is one on every corner already. We need something more middle of the road like a Target format. there are enough cheap junk stores around already. Kohl's would be nice but after seeing the Target experience I am sure they have thrown out any plans they had to come here. I do miss Target especially the nice summer stuff they have patio furniture etc. loved bargain hunting there last summer. I may have to a trip to Buffalo to get my Target fix in.
Dollar Tree just bought Dollar General in the U.S. which sells items up to $10. Since DT seems to have done well in Canada I could see them expand the DG brand into Canada.

It's no Target (I miss them too) and would like Kohls (but agree it's not a realistic hope) but it's something.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
NG wrote: Dollar Tree just bought Dollar General in the U.S. which sells items up to $10. Since DT seems to have done well in Canada I could see them expand the DG brand into Canada.

It's no Target (I miss them too) and would like Kohls (but agree it's not a realistic hope) but it's something.
We might be barking up the wrong tree by wanting us retailers to come back after we collectively pissed off one of the bigger ones. Maybe a european retailer would have more success? tesco anyone?

Although supply chain would be a nightmare for them early on...but Costco is in Spain, UK, France so there is hope...
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: That article is an interesting read... the dominos that fall when one company is in trouble.
Landlord Cadillac Fairview stepped in to help, providing a $10 million loan to Laura, at 12 per cent
interest, to help them meet payroll and continue operating.
That move was in Cadillac Fairview’s interest — Laura pays the company annual rents of $20 million.
“They’re probably one of the largest, if not the largest, independent private retailers in Canada, so it
would have been a shame if they would have gone out of business if there was a chance of saving
them. I think that Cadillac Fairview is certainly helping out the company in a time of dire need,” said
Avram Fishman, of Fishman Flanz Meland Paquin LLP, counsel for KPMG, the court-appointed monitor
in the case.
This is good to hear as a general idea. I've been thinking smaller mall owners, or even REITs, should start to be more involved in the retail industry beyond renting space.

More malls are starting to have a least a few stores that have been empty for months, if not years. Sometimes it's small stores but other times it's anchor stores like old Target locations nobody wanted.

Deadmalls.com has a huge listing of malls that's died. Unless current mall owners want their locations added to the site they need to do something. Perhaps even build a back end supply chain for franchised stores to fill all this newly vacant space.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: We might be barking up the wrong tree by wanting us retailers to come back after we collectively pissed off one of the bigger ones. Maybe a european retailer would have more success? tesco anyone?

Although supply chain would be a nightmare for them early on...but Costco is in Spain, UK, France so there is hope...
Two of the bigger ones if you include Big Lots. However, the only reason I mention Dollar Tree/Dollar General is that

a) They seem to have done well in Canada thus could be less risk adverse to the Canadian market.

b) As part of the merger agreement being approved by the U.S. government they had to divest itself of a number of stores.

Expanding in Canada would still allow corporate growth while avoiding U.S. regulatory concerns.

However, I'd be all for Tesco Canada if they'd be interested.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
^Would Liquidation world still be around today if the original Calgary founders didn't sell the business to an American company?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
AgentRoyal wrote: I noticed a toysrus closed down in cedarbrae mall, I hope that isn't a sign they are heading out
Honestly, I thought when they opened @ Cedarbrae mall that the location @ Victoria Park & Lawrence was going to close down. The two locations were pretty close together.
The lease @ Cedarbrae has expired and it was not worth it for them to renew. (mall has crazy idea that they can get a lot more rent money for that space...)

Keep on mind that the location @ Victoria Park & Lawrence can survive because it is also a Babies r us, so they have an extra business to help cover rent costs etc...
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: ^Would Liquidation world still be around today if the original Calgary founders didn't sell the business to an American company?
They were in pretty bad shape forwards the end financially. I'm not sure they had much choice in the matter.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
NG wrote: They were in pretty bad shape forwards the end financially. I'm not sure they had much choice in the matter.
Okay, I think you mean the company was already a mess, and therefore a sale to Big lots was necessary to survive, but it still could not.