Shopping Discussion

Targets stores in the USA, are selling banana for 0.29 each

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2020 11:55 pm
24 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15885 posts
21654 upvotes
Vancouver
Whole Foods used to sell green peppers for $3.99 per pound, and organic green peppers for $2.99 each. That made the organic price appear lower, which of course it wasn’t. I complained to the store manager several times before they stopped doing this.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17328 posts
15204 upvotes
GTA, ON
Are you sure that isn't a printing typo? I can't imagine they'd charge by the unit (each), that would be crazy expensive.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Banned
User avatar
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: Are you sure that isn't a printing typo? I can't imagine they'd charge by the unit (each), that would be crazy expensive.
LOL at being "expensive" when its a fruit that comes from 5,000 miles away, it was planted in hot weather by a farmer, is cutted manually by someone, sent to a warehouse, then a distributor, then loaded manually into a ship and then to a port, and then carried by truck to the store and then put on the shelf by an employee and then kept refrigerated for 2-3 days by the store, and you call it expensive at 0.29 cents? Buddy, a Kit-Kat is $2.20 and its made in a factory in Mississauga. People nowadays are ungrateful cheapskates.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17328 posts
15204 upvotes
GTA, ON
MusicBox wrote: LOL at being "expensive" when its a fruit that comes from 5,000 miles away, it was planted in hot weather by a farmer, is cutted manually by someone, sent to a warehouse, then a distributor, then loaded manually into a ship and then to a port, and then carried by truck to the store and then put on the shelf by an employee and then kept refrigerated for 2-3 days by the store, and you call it expensive at 0.29 cents? Buddy, a Kit-Kat is $2.20 and its made in a factory in Mississauga. People nowadays are ungrateful cheapskates.
Considering stores tend to sell it at 59cents/lb, yeah, 29c/each is pricey, unless everywhere is planning to start charging $1+ per pound.

Take a chill pill.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Member
Feb 3, 2019
232 posts
152 upvotes
GTA
MusicBox wrote: LOL at being "expensive" when its a fruit that comes from 5,000 miles away, it was planted in hot weather by a farmer, is cutted manually by someone, sent to a warehouse, then a distributor, then loaded manually into a ship and then to a port, and then carried by truck to the store and then put on the shelf by an employee and then kept refrigerated for 2-3 days by the store, and you call it expensive at 0.29 cents? Buddy, a Kit-Kat is $2.20 and its made in a factory in Mississauga. People nowadays are ungrateful cheapskates.
Gotta love perspective
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20564 posts
9083 upvotes
Toronto
Starbucks sells bananas for $0.99 each or something.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
21057 posts
5667 upvotes
Poormond Hill
This is meant for those people who just want one banana. Instead of the customer breaking up a bunch for just one, this forces them to buy the bunch. All stores should implement it to reduce unnecessary waste.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Banned
User avatar
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote: Starbucks sells bananas for $0.99 each or something.
So does Coffee Times and I gladly buy them at .99 cents, its cheaper and healthier than a $2.50 chocolate bar.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15885 posts
21654 upvotes
Vancouver
sandikosh wrote: This is meant for those people who just want one banana. Instead of the customer breaking up a bunch for just one, this forces them to buy the bunch. All stores should implement it to reduce unnecessary waste.
What unnecessary waste? The receipt printing?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
18956 posts
6130 upvotes
London
The answer is in the reddit thread


1d
Because this one probably isn't a grocery store. It's probably a Target that got a makeover and remodeling.

Target's like these are glorified convenience stores with slightly lower prices.

5
scfleads1d
One reason is likely because their registers are not equipped with scales. I don't think there are any items they do sell that would need to be weighed at the register.



Looks like not all target stores sell traditional groceries (aka Super Target). These particular Target stores have convenience sections that sell per item
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1821 posts
812 upvotes
GTA
My one friend used to walk to the grocery store everyday and buy 1 banana or 1 apple. It was their excuse to get out of work and go for a walk...

I used to tease them and join on their lunch break. Walking to a Longos and buying 1 apple.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7569 posts
8335 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
chimaican wrote: Considering stores tend to sell it at 59cents/lb, yeah, 29c/each is pricey, unless everywhere is planning to start charging $1+ per pound.

Take a chill pill.
Who's selling bananas for $0.59/lb these days? They're $0.77/lb or $0.78/lb everywhere here.

Anyways, this doesn't seem that expensive considering I specifically remember going to Safeway in the early 2010s and buying one single banana for $0.26, and the only reason I remember it is because that's the smallest charge I've ever put on my debit card.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20564 posts
9083 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote: Who's selling bananas for $0.59/lb these days? They're $0.77/lb or $0.78/lb everywhere here.

Anyways, this doesn't seem that expensive considering I specifically remember going to Safeway in the early 2010s and buying one single banana for $0.26, and the only reason I remember it is because that's the smallest charge I've ever put on my debit card.
Every single place in Ontario and even cheaper at other stores.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
872 posts
807 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: Who's selling bananas for $0.59/lb these days?
My local no frills, for one. $0.59/lb for conventional and $0.89 for organic.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
872 posts
807 upvotes
Anyways, depending on the size, 2 bananas can weigh just about a pound. So $0.29 cents each isn’t that insane...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17328 posts
15204 upvotes
GTA, ON
chemicalxv wrote: Who's selling bananas for $0.59/lb these days? They're $0.77/lb or $0.78/lb everywhere here.
The other two posters just answered the question. Smirking Face
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17328 posts
15204 upvotes
GTA, ON
lemmiwinks wrote: Anyways, depending on the size, 2 bananas can weigh just about a pound. So $0.29 cents each isn’t that insane...
Yeah, but it's Target, so that's $0.29 USD or $0.38 CAD. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2006
2179 posts
2094 upvotes
US 29 cents is no surprise for one banana.
I saw CAD 49 cents for one banana at a local Pharmaprix where it also sells 3ib bundle (average 8 bananas) for $1.99 side by side on the same shelf.
Likely priced due to high spoilage and for people who just want one with 'take-out' cold meal (sandwich and beverage).
Life is full of twists.
Stay flexible.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7746 posts
4516 upvotes
Shoppers Drug Mart sells the same thing too. Have you checked out the store lately? It is targeted to single persons who doesn't buy a lot of fruit and veg.

Top