• Jul 16th, 2020 12:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4179 posts
986 upvotes

Tarion New Build - Uneven sod installation

Hi,

My builder installed sod and it's a bit bumpy/wavy/uneven left to right. It does not tilt towards the house.

My "lawn" is not a big patch of grass so I'm not super fussed but I was curious if there was any Tarion or "code" requirements where they would be required to flatten it out.

I took a look at the tarion site and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9753 posts
4054 upvotes
Vaughan
Wait for the sod to grow, don’t forget to water (lots) or the sods would dry up.

Of-course you won’t find anything in Tarion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4179 posts
986 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Wait for the sod to grow, don’t forget to water (lots) or the sods would dry up.

Of-course you won’t find anything in Tarion.
Ya watering lots! Been able to bring back virtually all the dried out parts back to life!

Are you saying that Tarion won't have anything bc it's cosmetic or because it's outside?

In any case, my question is whether I am left on my own to deal with the bumpiness or if there is some regulation (Tarion or other "code") that would require it to be smoother (I understand that grading may not mean level)
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4400 posts
25908 upvotes
Did you complain about it on your 30-day PDI? If not then you probably have no choice or ground to stand on.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37412 posts
23485 upvotes
Center of Universe
Wait until the 1yr mark, as grading is covered.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4179 posts
986 upvotes
markopas wrote: Did you complain about it on your 30-day PDI? If not then you probably have no choice or ground to stand on.
Those are two different forms. A PDI is before possession and 30-day tarion is after possession.

It's common for people to get grass more than 30 days after possession. I took possession in the fall and there was no grass. The sod was installed at the start of this summer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9753 posts
4054 upvotes
Vaughan
markopas wrote: Did you complain about it on your 30-day PDI? If not then you probably have no choice or ground to stand on.
Not true. Lots of new houses get their sods and paved driveways after 30 days. They have a chance to put on 1 year list.
Feb 11, 2009
381 posts
126 upvotes
Why would you want the sod to tilt towards your house? Shouldn't the slope/water be tilted to drain away from your house?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2237 posts
1262 upvotes
GTA
steph3n wrote: Why would you want the sod to tilt towards your house? Shouldn't the slope/water be tilted to drain away from your house?
Bingo, it's supposed to slope AWAY from the house for drainage or else you'll have flooding issues in the house.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4179 posts
986 upvotes
I dont' want it to slope towards the house. I was trying to make it clear that my issue is left to right facing my house.

It does not tilt towards the house but there are a few low spots.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
2010 posts
647 upvotes
Toronto
I bought house from stateview and Tarion are warranty people?

My house is on ravine.

I will let you know if they complete my Sod - closing is July 31st.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)