Real Estate

Tarion - Still useless in 2021 - Your opinion?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2021 8:45 pm
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
839 posts
226 upvotes

Tarion - Still useless in 2021 - Your opinion?

Simple issues and going through hoops and I never hear any follow ups from them - I have yet to get an inspection done but already preparing for the worst.

Has anyone ever actually won a dispute against the builder via Tarion?
9 replies
Sep 27, 2020
6 posts
2 upvotes
Yes. Actually Tarion pays themselves if the builder doesn't complete on time. You just need to stick with it and follow all their deadlines.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3753 posts
3161 upvotes
Challenge is that during the pandemic Tarion has allowed the builder lots of leeway in their operations. Dealing with deficiencies is stressful enough but during a pandemic it must be a nightmare.
Apr 29, 2010
536 posts
831 upvotes
GTA
We bought a new build in 2019 and tarion worked great for us. Always came to fix whatever our complaint was and sometimes took care of other things we messed up ourselves (paint scratches etc)
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
839 posts
226 upvotes
lolbeast wrote: We bought a new build in 2019 and tarion worked great for us. Always came to fix whatever our complaint was and sometimes took care of other things we messed up ourselves (paint scratches etc)
Wow that is a new one - Tarion asked the builder to fix your paint scratches??? Did you put that in the PDI?

I am surprised that Tarion would ask the builder to repair client damage.
Apr 29, 2010
536 posts
831 upvotes
GTA
Cybersid wrote: Wow that is a new one - Tarion asked the builder to fix your paint scratches??? Did you put that in the PDI?

I am surprised that Tarion would ask the builder to repair client damage.
The inspector was nice and told me they’d cover it as a favor. We had a great experience with tarion every time
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
839 posts
226 upvotes
lolbeast wrote: The inspector was nice and told me they’d cover it as a favor. We had a great experience with tarion every time
Interesting, complete opposite for myself and the neighborhood so far.
Apr 29, 2010
536 posts
831 upvotes
GTA
Cybersid wrote: Interesting, complete opposite for myself and the neighborhood so far.
I guess it depends on the guy you get that day. Usually one guy covers an entire area.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13873 posts
10137 upvotes
That’s why it’s important to find a good builder with a good track record. Tarion is utterly useless. Massive conflict of interest.
Last edited by JayLove06 on Feb 1st, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
839 posts
226 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: That’s why it’s important to find a good builder with a track record. Ration is utterly useless. Massive conflict of interest.
Agreed, 2nd house new build - Tarion is still useless. The contractors working on the home were the bottom of the barrel . Everyone in the neighborhood complaining (All detached houses)