• Nov 2nd, 2013 2:50 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto

Tasteful mods for a Hyundai Sonata?

I would like to get matte black paint done professionally to the car. Should I go the matte black paint route or a plastidip route done professionally? What are the costs of actual matte black paint done to a mid size sedan? I know for the plastidip route it's around $750.

I would also like to lower the car and add some 20inch Vossen CV3 wheels.

I really like the look of this Sonata and my fiancee doesn't mind having it look this way.
The LED fog lights ca be had for $180, I already have the tints and the in channel visors. I could easily black out the chrome front with plastidip or I could purchase a matte black grille for $120 and easily install it myself

[IMG]http://media.supercharged.fr/2013/04/hy ... cv3-03.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://media.supercharged.fr/2013/04/hy ... cv3-02.jpg[/IMG]
105 replies
Apr 8, 2009
695 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
If you want a different look in terms of colour I'd recommend vinyl wrapping it. The Sonata is a pretty nice car. Look up he SFR reflash for the sonata. You'll thank me later.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13377 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
No one paints. They wrap. Matte wrap would probably cost you a pretty penny but at least you can peel it off in a few years when you want to sell or what not.

Tint
Drop
18-19" Wheels with offset and some dish
Matte wrap.

You know tho people will make fun of you because it's a modded Sonata no matter how good it looks. But people are stupid like that. Infact people will probably flame you shortly in this thread.

I wouldn't do 20" wheels they're very heavy and tires are $$$. You'll need to balance the wheel size and height drop.

Personally after using eibachs I would use Coil overs do the the drop since Hyundai Kia shocks aren't great for damping.

I have a modded KDM Car too very mild.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
pulpman07 wrote: If you want a different look in terms of colour I'd recommend vinyl wrapping it. The Sonata is a pretty nice car. Look up he SFR reflash for the sonata. You'll thank me later.
how good is vinyl wrapping? does it bubble over the long run? chip? discolor or ruin the paint underneath? What are the costs of getting it done professionally? We would either get matte black or matte dark grey.
Dec 28, 2012
47 posts
2 upvotes
Waterloo
trixstar wrote: how good is vinyl wrapping? does it bubble over the long run? chip? discolor or ruin the paint underneath? What are the costs of getting it done professionally? We would either get matte black or matte dark grey.
The costs depending on the material of the wrap you're using. I got quoted for the highest quality material on a bit smaller car (A4) for $3500 with labor
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13377 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
trixstar wrote: how good is vinyl wrapping? does it bubble over the long run? chip? discolor or ruin the paint underneath? What are the costs of getting it done professionally? We would either get matte black or matte dark grey.
They look really good if it's done well. There's a few places in TO. Go hang out at Eretfa or KC you'll see some guys with wraps and you can ask them about it.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: No one paints. They wrap. Matte wrap would probably cost you a pretty penny but at least you can peel it off in a few years when you want to sell or what not.

Tint
Drop
18-19" Wheels with offset and some dish
Matte wrap.

You know tho people will make fun of you because it's a modded Sonata no matter how good it looks. But people are stupid like that. Infact people will probably flame you shortly in this thread.

I wouldn't do 20" wheels they're very heavy and tires are $$$. You'll need to balance the wheel size and height drop.

Personally after using eibachs I would use Coil overs do the the drop since Hyundai Kia shocks aren't great for damping.

I have a modded KDM Car too very mild.
Thanks. I'll take a look at the wrapping. I currently have 18" wheels and it seems a bit small on the car. I'll go with either 19 or 20s. Good to know about the suspension setup. In terms of tasteful and clean mods, what other mods should I do to the car? SFR reflash? does this void warranty? Would an upgraded blowoff valve void warranty?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13377 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Upgraded Blow off
The Flash
will all void your warranty on the drivetrain especially the ECU flash.
Personally if you care for engine warranty I wouldn't go nuts.
New downpipes, upgraded exhaust, ECU flash would really free up power. There a group working on a new FM intercooler since the side mounts right now cause a lot of heatsoak over time but allow the engine to get up to operating temps faster.

Sorry you have the 2.0T right?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21166 upvotes
Toronto
wrap is a much better choice. Probably will cost you around $2500 range. Hexis brand is good
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2133 posts
128 upvotes
GTA
Have you or you fiancee ever driven a lowered car? In Toronto, it's not the greatest feeling.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: Upgraded Blow off
The Flash
will all void your warranty on the drivetrain especially the ECU flash.
Personally if you care for engine warranty I wouldn't go nuts.
New downpipes, upgraded exhaust, ECU flash would really free up power. There a group working on a new FM intercooler since the side mounts right now cause a lot of heatsoak over time but allow the engine to get up to operating temps faster.

Sorry you have the 2.0T right?
Yup I have a 2.0T . What are the pros of the new FM intercooler? does it cool down the air better for the turbo for more boost?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, she has driven a lowered wrx sti a few years back when her cousin had one. The pot holes don't feel great and even the minor imperfections feel rough. The car does look really good though. We'll take my Mazda 3 to toronto and drive the sonata in markham and surrounding areas.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21166 upvotes
Toronto
^ wow, if OP is doing all that plus the others mentioned, I can see $15K damage on his bank acct
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: ^ wow, if OP is doing all that plus the others mentioned, I can see $15K damage on his bank acct
Plus.... On a brand new car? What a waste of money if that is the case. IMO of course.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13377 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
If you look at the people who are trying to get more power out of the 2.0T you'll see that at this point it's not a super mod friendly engine due to the turbo being integrated in to the exhaust manifold. Parts are scarce but it's coming.

One issue people are seeing is in hot weather the engine is pulling timing because the Side mount OEM intercooler is getting heat soaked. It's still safe but killing power and it's really killing power if you're running regular gas. So they're looking at FMI to keep the engine from pulling timing combine with a tune for premium gas make more power and maybe tap in to the boost controller for more boost.

That was almost a year ago so I don't know how far they've gotten. You'll need to look between the Sonata and Optima forums seems like the Optima guys are more interested in power.

Poly engine mounts are a must apparently if you want to put the power down without the wheel hop.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: If you look at the people who are trying to get more power out of the 2.0T you'll see that at this point it's not a super mod friendly engine due to the turbo being integrated in to the exhaust manifold. Parts are scarce but it's coming.

One issue people are seeing is in hot weather the engine is pulling timing because the Side mount OEM intercooler is getting heat soaked. It's still safe but killing power and it's really killing power if you're running regular gas. So they're looking at FMI to keep the engine from pulling timing combine with a tune for premium gas make more power and maybe tap in to the boost controller for more boost.

That was almost a year ago so I don't know how far they've gotten. You'll need to look between the Sonata and Optima forums seems like the Optima guys are more interested in power.

Poly engine mounts are a must apparently if you want to put the power down without the wheel hop.
at this point in time, I will hold off on modding the internal components. If I were to do it, I would do it right the first time like this guy as he did a ECU flash, engine mapping, turbo upgrade etc. It's amazing how the stock tranny can handle it. I hope they make some nice parts for the sonata in a couple of years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Kc3dDiguE
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
A limited slip differential is a must do for any car with performance intentions.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1536 posts
778 upvotes
Yeah definitely wrap it and not repaint. I recommend restyle it they do a great job. Tint is a must.