Investing

Tax benefits of Canadian dividended investments??

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2021 12:12 pm
[OP]
May 27, 2013
470 posts
39 upvotes

Tax benefits of Canadian dividended investments??

Is there more benefits or credits etc from investing in Canadian dividends vs US stocks??
24 replies
Jun 28, 2018
974 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
Canadian Dividends you get the Dividend Tax Credit.
US Dividends there is a withholding tax applied, which you should be able to recover most during tax time. However, the differences:

Non Registered: Yes, but can recover most of the withheld tax.
RRSP: None.
TFSA: Yes, but cannot recover the withheld tax.

More info:

https://www.taxtips.ca/divtaxcredits.htm
https://www.moneysense.ca/save/taxes/fi ... ts-canada/
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
[OP]
May 27, 2013
470 posts
39 upvotes
johnnychi wrote: Canadian Dividends you get the Dividend Tax Credit.
US Dividends there is a withholding tax applied, which you should be able to recover most during tax time. However, the differences:

Non Registered: Yes, but can recover most of the withheld tax.
RRSP: None.
TFSA: Yes, but cannot recover the withheld tax.

More info:

https://www.taxtips.ca/divtaxcredits.htm
https://www.moneysense.ca/save/taxes/fi ... ts-canada/
When u give ure examples which type of stocks r u talking about. Not sure what u r saying yes to ....
Jun 28, 2018
974 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
wantboost1 wrote: When u give ure examples which type of stocks r u talking about. Not sure what u r saying yes to ....
Yes: there is withholding in Non-Registered and TFSA. No: no withholding in RRSP.

As for specific stocks, to generalize if you buy a stock that pays a dividend on a US stock exchange then you will be hit with withholding tax. If you buy from a Canadian exchange then no withholding.
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
[OP]
May 27, 2013
470 posts
39 upvotes
So for long term dividend investing its better to use tfsa and Canadian stocks /etf???
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21328 posts
9760 upvotes
Toronto
wantboost1 wrote: So for long term dividend investing its better to use tfsa and Canadian stocks /etf???
Use this article to sort out the most tax efficient investments for the various accounts. With respect to your original question, the only way to get a dividend tax credit on eligible dividends issued by Canadian companies, you need to hold the investments in a non registered account. In registered accounts, there are no immediate taxation for the dividends and so no tax credit.

https://www.finiki.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_investing
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
[OP]
May 27, 2013
470 posts
39 upvotes
will888 wrote: Use this article to sort out the most tax efficient investments for the various accounts. With respect to your original question, the only way to get a dividend tax credit on eligible dividends issued by Canadian companies, you need to hold the investments in a non registered account. In registered accounts, there are no immediate taxation for the dividends and so no tax credit.

https://www.finiki.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_investing
So I ll get a tax credit in non registered Canadian dividends stocks but then it will be seen as capital gains and then it be will taxed ?? Am I correct here or is the credit higher than the tax for capital gains ?

On the most part what do people usually do with can stocks ?if there's not much difference maybe stay with USA stocks for long term passive income?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1872 posts
1475 upvotes
Montréal
wantboost1 wrote: So I ll get a tax credit in non registered Canadian dividends stocks but then it will be seen as capital gains and then it be will taxed ?? Am I correct here or is the credit higher than the tax for capital gains ?

On the most part what do people usually do with can stocks ?if there's not much difference maybe stay with USA stocks for long term passive income?
No, dividends and capital gains are two completely different concepts: Canadian dividends are taxed at a preferential rate (compared to income such as interest because of dividend tax credit) and you are taxed the year you receive the dividend.

US dividends, unless in an RRSP (not TFSA), are subject to 15% witholding tax for which you get a credit on your return but these are still taxed at higher rate than Canadian dividends. This is why it is preferable to hold Canadian dividend equities in non-registered account.

Capital gains (or losses) occur when you dispose of the stock in a non-registered account, take 50% of it and apply it to your taxable income. You can carry losses forward or backward 3 years. Nothing to do with dividends.

US equities are purchased for diversification and more growth stocks are available south of the border.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21328 posts
9760 upvotes
Toronto
wantboost1 wrote: So I ll get a tax credit in non registered Canadian dividends stocks but then it will be seen as capital gains and then it be will taxed ?? Am I correct here or is the credit higher than the tax for capital gains ?

If you are dividend income harvesting, then Canadian stocks are the way to go as they pay a higher yield plus the dividend tax credit offers a bit of tax relief. With respect to dividend vs capital gains, the quarterly payout that your receive will be taxed as dividend income with a dividend tax credit to offset some of the taxation. In the future when you sell the stock, any gains in value relative to the cost of buying the stock will be taxed as capital gains with an inclusion rate of 50% (as of today anyway).
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21328 posts
9760 upvotes
Toronto
admiralackbar wrote: No, dividends and capital gains are two completely different concepts: Canadian dividends are taxed at a preferential rate (compared to income such as interest because of dividend tax credit) and you are taxed the year you receive the dividend.

US dividends, unless in an RRSP (not TFSA), are subject to 15% witholding tax for which you get a credit on your return but these are still taxed at higher rate than Canadian dividends. This is why it is preferable to hold Canadian dividend equities in non-registered account.

Capital gains (or losses) occur when you dispose of the stock in a non-registered account, take 50% of it and apply it to your taxable income. You can carry losses forward or backward 3 years. Nothing to do with dividends.

US equities are purchased for diversification and more growth stocks are available south of the border.
To be accurate, Canadian dividends (eligible dividends) are taxed even more than normal income due to the 1.38x gross up. However, the dividend tax credit offset makes the net tax rate lower. The reason why it should be viewed this way is that as taxable income increases, the merits of eligible dividend income decreases. In any event, dividends have a negative net tax at the lowest taxation rate and up at the highest tax bracket, dividend income offers about 14% tax relief.
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4480 posts
3072 upvotes
If there's any negatives to investing for Canadian dividends in a non-registered account when it comes to tax filing time I haven't seen them yet. The way things are going with our dividend income growth and moving forward with our annual government mandated withdrawals from the RRIF's, one day my wife and I will be going through the OAS clawback. Not a big deal. In our province taxtips shows that capital gains aren't a better option than Canadian dividends until the over $98,000 taxable income threshold per person is reached. A ways to go before we reach that and I much prefer buy and hold in Canadian dividend equities as the portfolio gets larger over time anyhow.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21328 posts
9760 upvotes
Toronto
Stryker wrote: If there's any negatives to investing for Canadian dividends in a non-registered account when it comes to tax filing time I haven't seen them yet. The way things are going with our dividend income growth and moving forward with our annual government mandated withdrawals from the RRIF's, one day my wife and I will be going through the OAS clawback. Not a big deal. In our province taxtips shows that capital gains aren't a better option than Canadian dividends until the over $98,000 taxable income threshold per person is reached. A ways to go before we reach that and I much prefer buy and hold in Canadian dividend equities as the portfolio gets larger over time anyhow.
Do you have other types of taxable income other than eligible dividends? The gross up pulls the other income up the tax scale.
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1063 posts
422 upvotes
Stryker wrote: If there's any negatives to investing for Canadian dividends in a non-registered account when it comes to tax filing time I haven't seen them yet. The way things are going with our dividend income growth and moving forward with our annual government mandated withdrawals from the RRIF's, one day my wife and I will be going through the OAS clawback. Not a big deal. In our province taxtips shows that capital gains aren't a better option than Canadian dividends until the over $98,000 taxable income threshold per person is reached. A ways to go before we reach that and I much prefer buy and hold in Canadian dividend equities as the portfolio gets larger over time anyhow.
One way to stay below the clawback threshold while still enjoying a steady stream of income from your investments is to switch to ETF returning mainly ROC. They are taxed at 0 %. However your ACB will be negatively impacted, so don't hold them too long.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4480 posts
3072 upvotes
will888 wrote: Do you have other types of taxable income other than eligible dividends? The gross up pulls the other income up the tax scale.
Income aside from eligible dividends would be the various pensions we have.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4480 posts
3072 upvotes
komodor wrote: One way to stay below the clawback threshold while still enjoying a steady stream of income from your investments is to switch to ETF returning mainly ROC. They are taxed at 0 %. However your ACB will be negatively impacted, so don't hold them too long.
I'll leave that kind of ETF to others. Not trying to escape the OAS clawback. I prefer to buy and mostly hold my own individual dividend growth companies in the non-registered. That one is portfolio 2 and got started in 2003. Portfolio 1 was completely sold off in 1999 and paid for most of our house. The timing was excellent since the house prices were pretty well stagnant for the previous decade and started rising again not long after we bought. The stock markets had their waterfall moment starting in 2000. The only ETF we own is in the registered accounts and is an all-in-one balanced global index.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
5638 posts
3152 upvotes
komodor wrote: One way to stay below the clawback threshold while still enjoying a steady stream of income from your investments is to switch to ETF returning mainly ROC. They are taxed at 0 %. However your ACB will be negatively impacted, so don't hold them too long.
Just a note that if the ROC reduce your ACB to below zero, all future ROC has to be reported as capital gain in the year the ROC are declared.
Mar 21, 2013
177 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
How are dividends taxed if recieved in a corporate account (Canadian Controlled Private Corporation)?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1063 posts
422 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Just a note that if the ROC reduce your ACB to below zero, all future ROC has to be reported as capital gain in the year the ROC are declared.
That's why I said not to hold them too long.
Feb 28, 2012
366 posts
240 upvotes
Vaughan
komodor wrote: That's why I said not to hold them too long.
Trying to piece it together. Is it then best to hold US dividends in RRSP's and CDN dividends in TFSA's? Or have I not understood it properly?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21328 posts
9760 upvotes
Toronto
jb10071 wrote: Trying to piece it together. Is it then best to hold US dividends in RRSP's and CDN dividends in TFSA's? Or have I not understood it properly?
I prefer Canadian (eligible) dividends in non registered account to benefit from the dividend tax credit.
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet