• Jul 3rd, 2020 10:59 pm
[OP]
Sep 6, 2016
302 posts
381 upvotes
Calgary

Tax on buying a used car privately in BC, then registering it in AB

Hi,

I've seen the reverse situation explained on this forum, but not this one.

I live in AB and want to buy a used car in a private sale in BC. Transaction value is less than $55,000 (say, 30k). Will I have to pay any BC taxes even though I will be registering the car in AB?

TIA
6 replies
Apr 27, 2009
284 posts
104 upvotes
West Vancouver
PST is paid when you register the car in BC. I had a quick look at the pst refund guide and you should be eligible to get a refund of the pst you paid.

If you can avoid registering the car in BC, then you will not have to pay PST.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1415 posts
388 upvotes
GVRD
Randy6560 wrote: PST is paid when you register the car in BC. I had a quick look at the pst refund guide and you should be eligible to get a refund of the pst you paid.

If you can avoid registering the car in BC, then you will not have to pay PST.
This is correct. If you're driving the car back to AB, then there's no need to register the vehicle in BC or pay our 12% PST rate on used vehicles. You can even purchase a Temporary Operating permit if needed, so that you can drive back to AB.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37162 posts
5166 upvotes
Winnipeg
chenwaa123 wrote: This is correct. If you're driving the car back to AB, then there's no need to register the vehicle in BC or pay our 12% PST rate on used vehicles. You can even purchase a Temporary Operating permit if needed, so that you can drive back to AB.
Why not just have the seller drive it to AB while registered, then switch over to the buyer's registration once paid for?
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1415 posts
388 upvotes
GVRD
divx wrote: Why not just have the seller drive it to AB while registered, then switch over to the buyer's registration once paid for?
I doubt that the seller would want to drive to AB to sell a car. How would they get home? I think that would only work if the seller was really desperate to sell their car.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37162 posts
5166 upvotes
Winnipeg
chenwaa123 wrote: I doubt that the seller would want to drive to AB to sell a car. How would they get home? I think that would only work if the seller was really desperate to sell their car.
of course the seller have to be paid for the effort, either that or get it shipped somehow.
WTB amazon gc @90%

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)