Personal Finance

Tax filing and OHIP card - Any relationship

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2018 10:58 am
Jr. Member
Jan 19, 2018
105 posts

Tax filing and OHIP card - Any relationship

My mother-in-law who is from Quebec, is here with us in Ontario helping us in taking care of kids.
In past 2 years she has stayed almost 18 months in Ontario and only 6 months in Quebec.

Because Quebec health does not work in Ontario, we have to pay $50 each time she needs medical need.
We were thinking to get her OHIP card and let go of her Quebec health card.

Though she will still file taxes in Quebec and was concerned that this change in health card might impact her tax filing in Quebec.
Does anybody knows anything about Tax and health card dependency...

She will be staying here with us, so having OHIP card is more convenient though we dont want to mess up her Quebec tax filing.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7617 posts
Victoria, BC
If she's living with you I don't understand why she wants to pay taxes in Quebec and keep her health card there? Here in Ottawa, lots of people that live on the Quebec side come here to get health care as theirs sucks.
Jr. Member
Jan 19, 2018
105 posts
My Father-in-law is in Quebec and they have always filed together and he shows her dependent.
At that age they are not looking for any change and want to keep status quo...

I had a discussion but they want to keep on filing their taxes in Quebec...
Feb 7, 2018
11 posts
No relation whatsoever.

No need to cancel her Quebec Health Card either, if you don't want to. Technically you have to, but they won't find out if you live somewhere else, so most people keep it anyway. Lot of people go to other provinces , like Alberta for work, don't bother telling their home province & come back and start using their home province health card all over again.

You will need to bring these documents with you:

A. A completed Registration for Ontario Health Insurance Coverage form

B. Three separate, original (not photocopies or printouts of electronic documents) identification documents:

1. One that proves your Canadian citizenship or OHIP-eligible immigration status (e.g. Canadian birth certificate, Permanent Resident Card )
2. One that proves you live in Ontario (e.g. Ontario Driver’s Licence, income tax assessment)
3. One that supports your identity (e.g. credit card, passport from any country)

She already has 1 & 3 . Try to get something that shows she lives in ON - to prove 2 . An ON Drivers license, Utility bill, Credit card bill, Rental agreement, Bank statement etc, anything with an ON address or your home address on it & your name.


Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)