Personal Finance

Tax Question - RE: Milage, vehicle costs, etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2020 12:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3189 posts
890 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Tax Question - RE: Milage, vehicle costs, etc.

My co-worker and I were talking about taxes and he claims I've been missing out on a deduction but I disagree can not seem to confirm through my research if I am correct or not.

We are electricians and work for a company. The company has a head office, but we work on job sites. Every day I drive from home to the day's worksite in my personal vehicle. We are hourly employees.

I do not believe we are entitled to claim our vehicle expenses and he thinks we can. Who is correct here?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1221 posts
1297 upvotes
BC
Yes, you may claim for travel and motor vehicle costs if your company provide Form T2200 where they certify that:

1. You are required to pay your own travel and motor vehicle costs
2. You are ordinarily required to carry on your duties away from the employer's place of business
3. You do not receive an allowance for travel costs

Allowable Motor Vehicle expenses
Last edited by WetCoastGuy on Mar 18th, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3189 posts
890 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I wish I'd figured this out years ago!

So the fact I'm hourly doesn't matter? For some reason my reading lead me to believe it only applied to salaried or commission based employees.

Also if my site is the same place 99% of the time does that matter? Or as long as my drive is not to the address of the business I'm fine?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1221 posts
1297 upvotes
BC
Applies if you are an employee (no stipulation how employed). Commissioned employees are entitled to other deductions besides travel and motor vehicles, Form T2200 covers all those other situations so can confuse people who think that they must answer all questions.

Only says that you "must ordinarily required to carry on duties away from the employer's place of business". Not sure how CRA would interpret that but doubtful the other site as long as it's a third party site could be considered the "employer's place of business".

If you missed out in prior years, get the Form T2200s certified by your employer and then send in adjustments to all prior year's returns (can go back 10 years for expenses that are missed).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3189 posts
890 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Thanks @WetCoastGuy for your advice thus far! It is greatly appreciated. As much as I would love to do the previous years it would take me a lot of work to calculate, and probably not amount to a ton of return. If it was something I did a lot of I would probably tackle it but I doubt it is worthwhile in my case.

I file using TurboTax and am a little stumped on where to enter this expense. Any chance you would know where? I think I have narrowed it down to the proper page but can't figure out which box specifically. In my case after doing a lot of reading I have gone and used the .58/km calculation as it was only over the course of 10 weeks before going on parental leave. My calculation was as follows:

(2255/3,055) * 3055 * 0.58 = 1307.90

Is that the correct calculation? 2255 being my calculated KMs for the travel and 3055KMs being my total KMs during the 10 week period.

So I think I enter 1307.90 as my deduction but I can not seem to figure out which spot to enter it. Any thoughts?
Images
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 11.52.09 AM.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)