Investing

Tax strategy for: Couple no kids, 3 properties (1 as main residence plus 2 invested)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2016 10:39 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1573 posts
371 upvotes
Montreal

Tax strategy for: Couple no kids, 3 properties (1 as main residence plus 2 invested)

Hello,
We will be hiring a tax expert in the next 2 weeks but wanted to get a high level view of what our tax strategy will be down the road from the RFD community.

We are a couple with no kids living in Montreal. Here is our property ownership status:

-As a couple: Principle residence in where we live
-Him: Condo downtown currently rented
-Her: Condo in the suburbs currently rented

My question here is from a tax-efficiency perspective, should we be leveraging capital from the two investment properties and apply that sum towards the mortgage of our principal residence? Do tax rules (assuming Federal since provincial might vary) allow us to do this and allow us to deduct mortgage interest from our rental property?

I'm not sure if this is in fact what we know as the famous Smith Maneuver or not.

Like I said, just trying to get a feel but we know the real answer will come from the tax experts we will be hiring.
1 reply
Sep 25, 2010
219 posts
58 upvotes
The simple answer is to write off the interest payments, the borrowed money must be invested into an income property. The intention must be to earn an income from the investment.