None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20563 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto

Tax on Sushi

So I got Sushi from No Frills and they sell it for $4.99. I didn't realize it until I got home that they charged 8%+13% tax so 21% tax. This doesn't make sense. Is this some error? Shouldn't it be just 8% tax?
20 replies
Feb 5, 2007
824 posts
402 upvotes
Mississauga
I know that prepared foods (hot foods) get taxed but sushi is served cold.... This was all I found to a broken link. I think you shouldn't be charged but everyone does it anyway.

I would refund since the max should be 13

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/tax/hst/
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4893 posts
3414 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Special Sushi tax'll get ya every time.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
Go back to No Frills and point out the 21% tax mistake. Ask for SCOP to be implemented (ie. full refund).
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4421 posts
1887 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
It IS a prepared food, even if it's served cold.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20563 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote: Go back to No Frills and point out the 21% tax mistake. Ask for SCOP to be implemented (ie. full refund).
That's a good idea. Have to get groceries anyways.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4301 posts
1908 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote: So I got Sushi from No Frills and they sell it for $4.99. I didn't realize it until I got home that they charged 8%+13% tax so 21% tax. This doesn't make sense. Is this some error? Shouldn't it be just 8% tax?
Somehow, I really don't think a 21% tax is your biggest problem with this purchase.....
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20563 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto
repooc wrote: somehow, i really don't think a 21% tax is your biggest problem with this purchase.....
lol.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4049 posts
1479 upvotes
Ontario
Becks wrote: Go back to No Frills and point out the 21% tax mistake. Ask for SCOP to be implemented (ie. full refund).
SCOP has nothing to do with taxes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9148 posts
2815 upvotes
This came up a few months back on another prepared food dish at loblaws. loblaws cust service initially told him it was correct, so he emailed ellen roseman at the star. Loblaws then admitted it was a mistake and gave him a $25 gc
http://imgur.com/74z23hK

Its not a scop situation
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20563 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto
Got back the 13% tax when I went to get my groceries. They said "computer glitch".
Penalty Box
Oct 17, 2012
2689 posts
124 upvotes
t&T done the same thing

mother shop at food court section while paying her groceries . the taxes added 8%+13% =21%
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
zoro69 wrote: This came up a few months back on another prepared food dish at loblaws. loblaws cust service initially told him it was correct, so he emailed ellen roseman at the star. Loblaws then admitted it was a mistake and gave him a $25 gc
http://imgur.com/74z23hK

Its not a scop situation
Why isn't it a SCOP situation? The scanner had the incorrect tax. The spirit of SCOP is to correct scanner errors.

BTW, I had a problem with the REal Canadian Superstore overcharging taxes on Restoralax. Took over a month with emailing, and I am not even sure if head office corrected the taxes in the system. My local RCSS got an internal note to refund me the amount for the purchase.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26804 posts
24264 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Becks wrote: Why isn't it a SCOP situation? The scanner had the incorrect tax. The spirit of SCOP is to correct scanner errors.
Because SCOP is about discrepancies between the advertised price as shown on the shelf or in flyers (or on the price sticker, if any) and the price charged at the register. The intent is to instill confidence that the price you're charged at the register matches the price you see advertised in the store or in flyers.

In this case there's no indication that there was any discrepancy over the $4.99. The OP hasn't mentioned it. His issue is over how the item is taxed. That has nothing to do with SCOP or its intent.
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
Is the problem not the overly convulated tax scam set up by 2 levels of government with rules set in place to confuse us? I mean these stores are in the business of charging taxes, have dedicated staff to do so and still can't get it right...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26804 posts
24264 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Cas77 wrote: Is the problem not the overly convulated tax scam set up by 2 levels of government with rules set in place to confuse us? I mean these stores are in the business of charging taxes, have dedicated staff to do so and still can't get it right...
IMO, yes.

"Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made." Otto von Bismarck

(And he was talking about a single level of government, not two levels trying to merge already too-convoluted sales tax regimes.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Penalty Box
Oct 17, 2012
2689 posts
124 upvotes
but honestly the taxes? goes where? the accountant fix the problem and down to their pocket or is it really going toward the government
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5995 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
It happened to me once with an item and it was said to be a computer error. What caused the error is the item not being in the stores file from head office so the store had to manually add it. It was dried sausage and non taxable.

If the store person adds it and doesn't do it properly ie describe it properly they will miss critical information. It's one of those things that someone managing stock might not know that someone managing finacials would.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26804 posts
24264 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TripleTAP wrote: but honestly the taxes? goes where? the accountant fix the problem and down to their pocket or is it really going toward the government
That concern applies to all sales taxes, not just in this situation.

Most retailers engage independent accounting companies to audit their books and ensure that they comply with tax legislation. This is a requirement for publicly listed companies like Loblaws (Weston) and Sobeys (Empire.)

In addition governments engage their own auditors to double-check the tax accounting and compliance of companies that collect sales taxes on their behalf.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)