Personal Finance

Taxation for Sole Proprietorship

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2020 11:13 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 12, 2011
142 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga

Taxation for Sole Proprietorship

My wife is Sole Proprietorship of a business and has business bank account that is used everything business.
Now she wants a personal bank account for her personal expenses. (she would pay herself I think from the business account)
So my question is how does taxation work here, do we have file tax for both business and personal? or we just file for business ?
This is for Ontario.

Thanks for any input
4 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2007
1651 posts
2038 upvotes
BC
gaphys wrote: So my question is how does taxation work here, do we have file tax for both business and personal? or we just file for business ?
This is for Ontario.
What taxes are you referring to?

For Income Tax as a self-employed person she would report the business income using form T2125 Statement of Business or Professional Activities in her personal tax return.
For HST she would file the return for the business to report the sales and input tax credits
Member
User avatar
Feb 16, 2014
481 posts
394 upvotes
WetCoastGuy wrote: What taxes are you referring to?

For Income Tax as a self-employed person she would report the business income using form T2125 Statement of Business or Professional Activities in her personal tax return.
For HST she would file the return for the business to report the sales and input tax credits
Exactly.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 9xkL8FyzoA
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2171 posts
2822 upvotes
gaphys wrote: My wife is Sole Proprietorship of a business and has business bank account that is used everything business.
Now she wants a personal bank account for her personal expenses. (she would pay herself I think from the business account)
So my question is how does taxation work here, do we have file tax for both business and personal? or we just file for business ?
This is for Ontario.

Thanks for any input
As a sole proprietorship any business income (net) IS personal income. Having separate bank accounts is a convenience and keeps the business side and personal side of finance clearer but makes no difference as to taxes for a sole proprietorship.

Top