• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2020 3:31 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2019
95 posts
20 upvotes
Steeles, ON

Taxes shipping personal items from Canada to US

I'm visiting Canada for a few months and now need to ship a computer I bought here to my house in the US. It is worth about $1500CAD.

It's too big to fit in my car so I wanted to ship it, but it looks like UPS/FedEx will charge me duties on the item.

Am I required to pay taxes on this item since it a personal belonging and I'm shipping it to myself?
Last edited by yojowo on Apr 26th, 2020 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10722 posts
13021 upvotes
Vancouver
You're importing goods you bought while visiting a foreign country into the USA, why wouldn't there be taxes and duties? Best to ask your question on a US forum, I doubt there are many RFDers knowledgeable about US residents importing stuff into the US.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2019
95 posts
20 upvotes
Steeles, ON
Kiraly wrote: You're importing goods you bought while visiting a foreign country into the USA, why wouldn't there be taxes and duties? Best to ask your question on a US forum, I doubt there are many RFDers knowledgeable about US residents importing stuff into the US.
Interesting point, I didn't think of it as importing a foreign purchase. I guess if it thought of as a foreign purchase it is below the import limit for foreign purchases from Canada to the US. Not sure if I can say that to UPS or FedEx.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1045 posts
638 upvotes
Vancouver
If it's below the limit, then no duty. The shippers (FedEx, UPS etc) will ask for a customs declaration + some other docs, which they will provide to the customs officers. The officers will then decide as per the law, what rate will be charged. UPS or FedEx has nothing to do with it.

Though do be aware of this - https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex ... mation.pdf - there are fees for Canada-to-US customs clearance

Might be better to use post, to avoid such charges.

Also, since you were here for a few months, it may be considered a "Change of residence", in which case the customs limits I believe are much higher