Taxes for wife - First time supported by spouse

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2018 12:34 pm
Jun 7, 2015
105 posts
7 upvotes

Taxes for wife - First time supported by spouse

Hello everyone,

I am utterly confused and went into a rabbit hole for finding information, hoping someone can help. My wife moved to Canada in 2016 and will be filing for her taxes for the first time this year for 2016 and 2017 I have previously used H&R Block to file my taxes (I have been here for a decade now).

We want to file out taxes as a couple, she didn't have any income and I supported her, she was in school last year and got her T22A. My question is do I file my taxes as I would and claim spouse basic income transfer + tuition credit (with her consent) and she would file a paper return for 2016 and 2017? or can we file taxes together online?

Any help is appreciated
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Everyone files their own returns. There is no such thing as a joint return.

Yes, you can claim the spousal amount and a part of her tuition amount (to the maximum allowed).
Jun 7, 2015
105 posts
7 upvotes
don242 wrote: Everyone files their own returns. There is no such thing as a joint return.

Yes, you can claim the spousal amount and a part of her tuition amount (to the maximum allowed).
Thanks for the reply don242. Oh I see, I always thought it was a joint return :P It says the maximum allowed is $5,000 for the tuition transfer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
draxz12899 wrote: Thanks for the reply don242. Oh I see, I always thought it was a joint return :P It says the maximum allowed is $5,000 for the tuition transfer.
Thats the federal portion. Theres also a provincial amount that is higher.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10054 posts
6146 upvotes
draxz12899 wrote: Hello everyone,

I am utterly confused and went into a rabbit hole for finding information, hoping someone can help. My wife moved to Canada in 2016 and will be filing for her taxes for the first time this year for 2016 and 2017 I have previously used H&R Block to file my taxes (I have been here for a decade now).

We want to file out taxes as a couple, she didn't have any income and I supported her, she was in school last year and got her T22A. My question is do I file my taxes as I would and claim spouse basic income transfer + tuition credit (with her consent) and she would file a paper return for 2016 and 2017? or can we file taxes together online?

Any help is appreciated
Yes, Netfile is still open for tax year 2014 & after. Just download free tax software Studiotax & file as linked couple returns. The software will take care the spousal amt transfer to you. Also the tuition amt too.
Were you married before she moved to Canada? If yes, did you claim the spousal amt for those years before she came?
Also don’t forget to fill out form RC151 for the first year of GST credit for new immigrant. You have to find it on CRA site, fill it out online, print it and send to CRA.
Jun 7, 2015
105 posts
7 upvotes
dutchca wrote: Thats the federal portion. Theres also a provincial amount that is higher.
I understand the more amount we claim the more refund but how do you guys determine how much to claim since I read that if you over claim it will only go to waste.
Jun 7, 2015
105 posts
7 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Yes, Netfile is still open for tax year 2014 & after. Just download free tax software Studiotax & file as linked couple returns. The software will take care the spousal amt transfer to you. Also the tuition amt too.
Were you married before she moved to Canada? If yes, did you claim the spousal amt for those years before she came?
Also don’t forget to fill out form RC151 for the first year of GST credit for new immigrant. You have to find it on CRA site, fill it out online, print it and send to CRA.
Wow that's very informative, we will also send the RC151 form along. We got married in 2014 and she moved in 2016, I don't remember claiming the spousal amount for the years before but we did that for 2016.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
draxz12899 wrote: I understand the more amount we claim the more refund but how do you guys determine how much to claim since I read that if you over claim it will only go to waste.
It will use the amount needed to bring your taxes to zero. Any extra is carried over for your wife. She will only transfer over the amount you can use, otherwise it will be wasted since you cannot carry over transferred credits.

If you are using software, it should do this for you when you optimize the returns. If you are doing the paper return, it should be clear how it works as you go through the calculations.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10054 posts
6146 upvotes
draxz12899 wrote: Wow that's very informative, we will also send the RC151 form along. We got married in 2014 and she moved in 2016, I don't remember claiming the spousal amount for the years before but we did that for 2016.
There is a condition for claiming the spousal amt for the years when she was not a Canadian resident. You had to support her financially. Even though you don’t have to send in proof when filing your tax, CRA can ask for it later. All you have to show is some evidence to show you supported her before she came. Usually a copy of the money order or wire transfer to her should be enough.