Cell Phones

Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

  • Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2020 8:43 pm
Newbie
Jul 6, 2015
24 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON
will888 wrote: When everybody is migrated over to the latest calling plans that includes Canada wide calling, the use of a Thunder Bay area code will become less of an issue. For now, I think most people will get the most benefit from buying cheap data. With dual SIM devices like the zenfone 2, the option of getting a speakout SIM for slot 2 is viable.
Is this deal still available? Hope it is not too late to get on the boat...

Also... How are people in Toronto getting their sim cards?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19318 posts
7421 upvotes
Toronto
HPTOUCHPAD10 wrote: Is this deal still available? Hope it is not too late to get on the boat...

Also... How are people in Toronto getting their sim cards?
Did anyone report the deal is over? If not, just read the thread, follow the instructions. The how to has been discussed many times over. Enjoy the savings.
Jr. Member
May 23, 2015
151 posts
25 upvotes
Surrey, BC
If I have Whatsapp associated with a plan that doesn't have data, can I still receive those messages when using Tbaytel data?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1665 posts
580 upvotes
Oakville
As per usual the lte sim i got came already activated (within the Thunder bay area) in the mail. No need to call in.

Not sure if activating outside of the Tbaytel network (ie roaming on Rogers) has any future impact if they ever wanted to crackdown on users vs strictly looking at whether data was used within Tbaytel network at all. Just a thought and speculation.

As for tethering my source had to get tbaytel to enable. They've put a note down for me to make sure they get them enabled going fwd.

Seems as others have experienced, new lte sims have tethering disabled.
Kursor17 wrote: Just got some activated LTE SIMs in the mail the other day. The micro and regular SIMs now come in dual SIM format. It doesn't solve those who need a nano SIM, but at least you can interchange between micro and regular.

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/x43xh1.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
iamanagram wrote: If I have Whatsapp associated with a plan that doesn't have data, can I still receive those messages when using Tbaytel data?
Of course.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1665 posts
580 upvotes
Oakville
iamanagram wrote: If I have Whatsapp associated with a plan that doesn't have data, can I still receive those messages when using Tbaytel data?
Yes. Whatsapp along with other instant messengers that can be tied to a phone number has a feature that allows you to enter a diff phone number other than the one assigned to your sim card. Enter in the other phone number and the app seems a sms to verify and register.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1961 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
Kursor17 wrote: As per usual the lte sim i got came already activated (within the Thunder bay area) in the mail. No need to call in.

Not sure if activating outside of the Tbaytel network (ie roaming on Rogers) has any future impact if they ever wanted to crackdown on users vs strictly looking at whether data was used within Tbaytel network at all. Just a thought and speculation.

As for tethering my source had to get tbaytel to enable. They've put a note down for me to make sure they get them enabled going fwd.

Seems as others have experienced, new lte sims have tethering disabled.
Does your source have any extra?
Zoomer Wireless [on Rogers Network] $36 - 400 Canada Wide Minutes + 2GB LTE data
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
can anyone receive SMS text msgs from other carrier besides rogers/speakout? ie, using other text apps like textme,textplus, etc?
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 19, 2010
14571 posts
2202 upvotes
Toronto
mikka1989 wrote: can anyone receive SMS text msgs from other carrier besides rogers/speakout? ie, using other text apps like textme,textplus, etc?
It can receive text messages from Wind.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
15913 posts
2598 upvotes
Toronto
I use next plus and get text from all carriers on my iPad.
Sr. Member
May 22, 2012
761 posts
37 upvotes
MONTR
If you have unused data, can you purchase more voice? I have $10 on voice but it seems it's used for both tbay calls and sms, right? I don't use the sms there much other than activation so it would be nice if I could use leftover data towards more voice or whatever it's called.

I use all messenger apps for text, images and I still have 19.88, because some of it is wifi. Very good deal :)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1665 posts
580 upvotes
Oakville
It's just like any other prepaid plan. No real diff from other carriers in terms of terms of service, rules, account behaviour.

jksp22, would you be so kind as to update the faq to Petro and 7-11 Unofficial website faq for those that have prepaid questions.

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/questions/138.aspx

http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/

lachdanan
You top up your account balance.
You decide what plan you want. Eg pay by min, monthly voice and txt plan.
You buy add ons like data and txt packages.
Remaining account balance is charged at the default rate

lachdanan wrote: If you have unused data, can you purchase more voice? I have $10 on voice but it seems it's used for both tbay calls and sms, right? I don't use the sms there much other than activation so it would be nice if I could use leftover data towards more voice or whatever it's called.

I use all messenger apps for text, images and I still have 19.88, because some of it is wifi. Very good deal :)
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
i did a speedtest indoors in a building and i got 73ms ping and 13.5Mbps! not bad lol ... i had to quit the testing because the upload took forever, don't think it would stop the test

im using a rogers aircard with LTE simcard from fred
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Sr. Member
May 22, 2012
761 posts
37 upvotes
MONTR
Also do you guys get the issue where pressing the Send button in Fongo texting does nothing so your text stays in the typing section, i.e. never sent even after you click many times. Not sure if it's to do with Fongo authentication stuff.

Top