Cell Phones

Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2020 9:22 am
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
51945 posts
16524 upvotes
mikka1989 wrote: i did a speedtest indoors in a building and i got 73ms ping and 13.5Mbps! not bad lol ... i had to quit the testing because the upload took forever, don't think it would stop the test

im using a rogers aircard with LTE simcard from fred
So it's still non-LTE speed you are achieving? In Oakville/Burlington, I don't think I've seen 10 Mbps at all, haha.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1961 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: So it's still non-LTE speed you are achieving? In Oakville/Burlington, I don't I've seen 10 Mbps at all, haha.
Heard LTE is not available for prepaid subscribers
Zoomer Wireless [on Rogers Network] $36 - 400 Canada Wide Minutes + 2GB LTE data
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
15620 posts
2408 upvotes
Toronto
Many users with prepaid LTE sim cards have not been able to connect to the LTE network.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19293 posts
7410 upvotes
Toronto
The legacy bell prepaid data plan doesn't offer LTE either. Good 3G with reasonable latency is plenty adequate for mobile data.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
51945 posts
16524 upvotes
will888 wrote: The legacy bell prepaid data plan doesn't offer LTE either. Good 3G with reasonable latency is plenty adequate for mobile data.
Says us, the people who don't have LTE! :)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
15620 posts
2408 upvotes
Toronto
Kursor17 wrote: Not one person has gotten a LTE connection
It's certainly not due to a lack of effort
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19293 posts
7410 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: Says us, the people who don't have LTE! :)
Yes, we are all too proud to say we don't have what we need.
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
239 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
alanbrenton wrote: Says us, the people who don't have LTE! :)
I have LTE on a Bell plan, but except when I'm tethering, I ALWAYS leave it on 3G lol since it's more than good enough
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
51945 posts
16524 upvotes
eeeaddict wrote: I have LTE on a Bell plan, but except when I'm tethering, I ALWAYS leave it on 3G lol since it's more than good enough
I had one too on a tablet plan but it was too expensive at $35/month for 5GB. So I moved to Thunderbay to save on rental and wireless mobility costs. :)
Jr. Member
Nov 26, 2014
180 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I had the BELL prepaid SIM for several years and I was able to get 22-25Mbps on HSPA in Scarborough / Markham.

What are the top speeds we're getting on this plan on HSPA?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19293 posts
7410 upvotes
Toronto
at416905 wrote: I had the BELL prepaid SIM for several years and I was able to get 22-25Mbps on HSPA in Scarborough / Markham.

What are the top speeds we're getting on this plan on HSPA?
That was probably back in the day when people were happy sending SMS all day. It is hard to top 10 Mbps anywhere. I would say 5/1 is where the expectation line should be placed. Latency is not bad and so the data is totally usable. I am not saying this proudly because I don't have LTE. In fact at work, Rogers LTE is way slower than 3G. The LTE signal is a lot weaker due to the higher frequency.
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
239 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
will888 wrote: That was probably back in the day when people were happy sending SMS all day. It is hard to top 10 Mbps anywhere. I would say 5/1 is where the expectation line should be placed. Latency is not bad and so the data is totally usable. I am not saying this proudly because I don't have LTE. In fact at work, Rogers LTE is way slower than 3G. The LTE signal is a lot weaker due to the higher frequency.
When I try with my rogers sim 7/1 or 8/1 is about the best you can expect on average. Bell is ALWAYS over 15 and often over 20 for me. LTE speeds are a crapshoot though my phone (ONE PLUS) seems to do better on BELLTE :P
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19293 posts
7410 upvotes
Toronto
eeeaddict wrote: When I try with my rogers sim 7/1 or 8/1 is about the best you can expect on average. Bell is ALWAYS over 15 and often over 20 for me. LTE speeds are a crapshoot though my phone (ONE PLUS) seems to do better on BELLTE :P
The places I frequent must not be cellular friendly. A Faraday cage follows me where ever I go. At home, the strongest signal for me is actually Mobilicity if you can believe that. Generally Rogers and Bell 3G are virtually identical in performance. I am not so picky about sheer download speed. I am happy with 3G and descent latency. I would rather have more data than faster data. The fact that all of us are on this plan says we place greater emphasis on quantity of data rather than excessive quality. This being RFD, it goes without saying that value is important too.

Top