Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2020 8:43 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2522 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yuprules wrote: or sign up for a FREE LOCAL NUMBER from the Citrix Convoi iPhone app (coming soon to Android) and use your tbaydata to send FREE North American Texts, Calls
(set the app to Internet mode or else it will try to use your tbay airtime/text):

ios-android-citrix-convoi-app-free-cell ... 1894099/4/

This is way better than the Fongo app (no ads and FREE SMS/MMS, Fongo is paid). You must use the Convoi number ONCE every 29 days or you will lose it. Low cost monthly subscription coming soon so you don't have to use it every 29 days.
It's already available on Android.

Have been using it since New Years eve or New Years day.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2522 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto, ON
audit13 wrote: It is best to contact Fred to get the price as he may not even be selling SIM cards anymore.
I've e-mailed him, and I know others have e-mailed him as well without reply.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9027 posts
1602 upvotes
Montreal
mobifree wrote: It's already available on Android.

Have been using it since New Years eve or New Years day.
They closed the Android Beta for Cirtrix Convoi, new users can't get the app anymore. I love it on my iPhone, I'd pay a small monthly fee to keep this number alive (coming soon).

It's also really cool that it can use AIR TIME and your TEXTING monthly plan INSTEAD of data (I have unlimited air time and texting) to MASK your number and show the Convoi number instead!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15915 posts
2599 upvotes
Toronto
mobifree wrote: I've e-mailed him, and I know others have e-mailed him as well without reply.
Maybe follow up the email with a call? It was approximately 32.50 sent via regular letter mail. I'm not sure Fred even does it anymore.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1614 posts
809 upvotes
yuprules wrote: or sign up for a FREE LOCAL NUMBER from the Citrix Convoi iPhone app (coming soon to Android) and use your tbaydata to send FREE North American Texts, Calls
(set the app to Internet mode or else it will try to use your tbay airtime/text):

This is way better than the Fongo app (no ads and FREE SMS/MMS, Fongo is paid). You must use the Convoi number ONCE every 29 days or you will lose it. Low cost monthly subscription coming soon so you don't have to use it every 29 days.
Thanks for this info & would keep an eye if/when it becomes available for android.
Oct 18, 2014
60 posts
8 upvotes
N/A
danieltoronto wrote: The question is "how inconvenient to GTA users when using #807".
Depending on the usage. For me, 807 doesn't make a difference; I use it for iPad purely for its data - no voice calling and no SMS.
Deal Guru
Jul 17, 2008
10470 posts
3155 upvotes
Kursor17 wrote: This shouldve been covered in the faq. BEFORE expiration date you can only add data if you're below 200MB.

Within 7 days AFTER expiration date you can add data and it'll stack if you're above 200MB.
Wait, are you sure data will STACK? Last time i heard, when you re-bought data, it would overwrite whatever you had left before.

Also, what do you mean AFTER expiration? wouldn't at expiration date you would lose all the remaining balance (and maybe even lose your service)?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31616 posts
5717 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
audit13 wrote: Maybe follow up the email with a call? It was approximately 32.50 sent via regular letter mail. I'm not sure Fred even does it anymore.
I have a spare micro SIM if anyone wants to buy it. No balance on it
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2522 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gee wrote: I have a spare micro SIM if anyone wants to buy it. No balance on it
<br />
<br />

I'm interested.
Where are you?
Apr 2, 2009
889 posts
177 upvotes
Markham
Gee wrote: I have a spare micro SIM if anyone wants to buy it. No balance on it
PM'd
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo

Interesting. Thanks for mentioning this.

I read the thread you linked, and I get the impression I will not be able to use my Fongo number to sign up for Convoi. My Fongo number has become my primary "cellphone" number since I have no airtime assigned to my Tbaytel number.

And I recently discovered my Fongo connectivity problems were caused by the Low Bandwidth Codec, which I disabled in my Fongo settings and now I'm getting awesome crystal-clear voice quality, and the other party no longer hears echoes of themselves. I don't mind that I'm now using more data per call because of the huge 20GB Tbaytel bucket that I'd otherwise struggle to deplete, and I rarely do voice calls anyway. And since I already paid Fongo to enable outgoing texts, I think I will stick with Fongo for the foreseeable future, but will keep an eye on Convoi to see if they will make their Android app available and if they will allow signing up using my Fongo number.

As an aside, even my Fongo voice quality (after disabling the Low Bandwidth Codec) surpasses that of my Google Hangouts Dialer quality. I had a Hangouts-to-Hangouts voice chat yesterday, with both myself and the other party connected to our home Wi-Fi networks, where I kept hearing the other party's voice signal getting muffled. It became indecipherable to hear him so we resumed our call on our landlines instead. I've never had this happen with Google Hangouts before, and it didn't even have anything to do with Tbaytel!
Nov 9, 2003
381 posts
88 upvotes
I also have a spare micro SIM for sale. There is aprox $45 on it. Please PM me.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9027 posts
1602 upvotes
Montreal
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: Interesting. Thanks for mentioning this.

I read the thread you linked, and I get the impression I will not be able to use my Fongo number to sign up for Convoi. My Fongo number has become my primary "cellphone" number since I have no airtime assigned to my Tbaytel number.

And I recently discovered my Fongo connectivity problems were caused by the Low Bandwidth Codec, which I disabled in my Fongo settings and now I'm getting awesome crystal-clear voice quality, and the other party no longer hears echoes of themselves. I don't mind that I'm now using more data per call because of the huge 20GB Tbaytel bucket that I'd otherwise struggle to deplete, and I rarely do voice calls anyway. And since I already paid Fongo to enable outgoing texts, I think I will stick with Fongo for the foreseeable future, but will keep an eye on Convoi to see if they will make their Android app available and if they will allow signing up using my Fongo number.

As an aside, even my Fongo voice quality (after disabling the Low Bandwidth Codec) surpasses that of my Google Hangouts Dialer quality. I had a Hangouts-to-Hangouts voice chat yesterday, with both myself and the other party connected to our home Wi-Fi networks, where I kept hearing the other party's voice signal getting muffled. It became indecipherable to hear him so we resumed our call on our landlines instead. I've never had this happen with Google Hangouts before, and it didn't even have anything to do with Tbaytel!
Number porting is coming soon to Convoi! I found the sound quality so much better than Fongo. I still can't believe it's free calling, free local number, MMS and SMS! I'd pay to port in my number if it's cheaper than Fongo.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31616 posts
5717 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
mobifree wrote: <br />
<br />

I'm interested.
Where are you?
Aurora

I paid $37.5 for the SIM originally and that is what I will sell it at. It is not from Fred
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3494 posts
1276 upvotes
BC
Gee wrote: Aurora

I paid $37.5 for the SIM originally and that is what I will sell it at. It is not from Fred
Guess it doesn't matter but it is registered under your devices imei?