Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2024 11:27 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1505 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AsianXL wrote: Wouldn't Fido's 3GB for $15/month be a better deal this?
It would be if it was $100/12=$8.33 (which it can be if discounted but unfortunately we can't rely on that)
-------------
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
English is a difficult language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
treasureseeker3 wrote: It would be if it was $100/12=$8.33 (which it can be if discounted but unfortunately we can't rely on that)
The discounts have been pretty reliable since I gave up my Tbaytel service. I can sell the tablet to offset the monthly costs.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: I switched from TbayTel to Fido 4GB $15/mo. Then after a 3 months or so you can call retentions and they'll offer you 50% for 1 or 2 years, not sure if this promo is available anymore.
The half off offer is still around. The 100% discount is gone. At the moment, it is $15/4GB with free cheapo tablet on 2 year term. Or skip the tablet and go month to month. I prefer to get the tablet, sell it and use the proceeds to pay for the plan.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
will888 wrote: The half off offer is still around. The 100% discount is gone. At the moment, it is $15/4GB with free cheapo tablet on 2 year term. Or skip the tablet and go month to month. I prefer to get the tablet, sell it and use the proceeds to pay for the plan.
Is SMS still broken on the Fido 4GB plan?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8737 upvotes
Toronto
yuprules wrote: Is SMS still broken on the Fido 4GB plan?
Yes, for the Fido 4Gb plan - SMS incoming & outgoing is blocked.

The OG Fido $15/3Gb allows incoming & outgoing SMS........only reason why I'm holding onto my 3Gb plan and not changing over to the 4gb plan...willing to lose the 1Gb for SMS ability....
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
Just note, the $10 Fido 4GB plan (with blocked SMS) is BACK today for those looking to switch and don't need SMS. Some Free tablets too for 24 month plans.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
yuprules wrote: Just note, the $10 Fido 4GB plan (with blocked SMS) is BACK today for those looking to switch and don't need SMS. Some Free tablets too for 24 month plans.
So do you have to go into B&M store to get this? i don;t see it on their website.
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
townie22 wrote: So do you have to go into B&M store to get this? i don;t see it on their website.
Click Shop at the top
Tablets
Scroll way to the bottom, you'll see $10 4GB data plan for existing monthly customers.

More info there, there are some $0 tablet if you sign up for a 24 month contract. Edit: Apparently not Locked to Fido anymore (post below). If you just want the SIM, call or in store only.
Last edited by yuprules on Jun 11th, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
yuprules wrote: Click Shop at the top
Tablets
Scroll way to the bottom, you'll see $10 4GB data plan for existing monthly customers.

More info there, there are some $0 tablet if you sign up for a 24 month contract. Locked to Fido of course :) If you just want the SIM, call or in store only.
Thanks Yup :)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
Tablets

More info there, there are some $0 tablet if you sign up for a 24 month contract. Locked to Fido of course :) If you just want the SIM, call or in store only.
Are you sure that the tablet is "Locked to Fido"? AFAIK it is legal to sell wireless network locked devices in Canada since 2017.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
2628 posts
3024 upvotes
Canada
Tablets

All are now unlocked....I sold mine...kept the plan lol, it paid for the plan for the whole year....why is this TbayTel deal even relevant today? Besides being Prepaid....it really offers no value.

For $120/Year I am getting 48GB....so why would anyone want 20GB?
USA eSIM Free Trials Telus: $30/75GB CA/US x4 • $0 X00GB Bonus • $0 AW x2 • $0 CA/US Tablet SIM(x4) | Freedom: $27.50 30GB CA/1GB USA • $25/Year Unlimited T/T/7GB/Mo Data
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1505 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Samshares wrote: All are now unlocked....I sold mine...kept the plan lol, it paid for the plan for the whole year....why is this TbayTel deal even relevant today? Besides being Prepaid....it really offers no value.

For $120/Year I am getting 48GB....so why would anyone want 20GB?
1. Because I only use less than 10GB a year and can get that from tbaytel for $100/yr with credit left over. I don't know what I'll use the credit for, maybe some year I'll have need to go crazy with data usage and can just use my credit on account with no extra cost
2. Fido still calls it a "promotion" rate which makes it sound temporary, not the "normal" rate
3. I already have Tbaytel SIMs and if I risk Fido and they stop "promo" offer, switching back to Tbaytel is going to be a PITA

So, Fido may be more attractive to a new user, but not so to a low usage existing tbaytel user
-------------
English is a difficult language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
treasureseeker3 wrote: 1. Because I only use less than 10GB a year and can get that from tbaytel for $100/yr with credit left over. I don't know what I'll use the credit for, maybe some year I'll have need to go crazy with data usage and can just use my credit on account with no extra cost
2. Fido still calls it a "promotion" rate which makes it sound temporary, not the "normal" rate
3. I already have Tbaytel SIMs and if I risk Fido and they stop "promo" offer, switching back to Tbaytel is going to be a PITA

So, Fido may be more attractive to a new user, but not so to a low usage existing tbaytel user
I'm exactly with you, in fact I'm using the $85 data plan a year, that's how little I use. Plus it can receive sms shortcodes unlike the Tablet Fido plan that SMS blocked.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
yuprules wrote: I'm exactly with you, in fact I'm using the $85 data plan a year, that's how little I use. Plus it can receive sms shortcodes unlike the Tablet Fido plan that SMS blocked.
I'm also a light user, i have 10 GB that expires on August 7 and $87 in my bucket :) Guess i'll have to top up with 10 GB more in August.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
townie22 wrote: I'm also a light user, i have 10 GB that expires on August 7 and $87 in my bucket :) Guess i'll have to top up with 10 GB more in August.
Do you still have to add $100 to the account, to extend the data one more year? TIA.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1505 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto, ON
andrew4321 wrote: Do you still have to add $100 to the account, to extend the data one more year? TIA.
You have to add a minimum of $100 per year to keep the account active. That $100 can be left as credit n your account until you use it for a service (eg one of the data add-ons)
-------------
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
2628 posts
3024 upvotes
Canada
treasureseeker3 wrote: 2. Fido still calls it a "promotion" rate which makes it sound temporary, not the "normal" rate
After like 4 years, you going to still question the promo rate?

After them throwing 100% off for 1-2 years at a time for the entire 4 years or so of that plan being available you still going to be concerned of price hikes?

lol
USA eSIM Free Trials Telus: $30/75GB CA/US x4 • $0 X00GB Bonus • $0 AW x2 • $0 CA/US Tablet SIM(x4) | Freedom: $27.50 30GB CA/1GB USA • $25/Year Unlimited T/T/7GB/Mo Data
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1505 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Samshares wrote: After like 4 years, you going to still question the promo rate?

After them throwing 100% off for 1-2 years at a time for the entire 4 years or so of that plan being available you still going to be concerned of price hikes?

lol
While they continue to call it a promo rate (and offer it to some people but not others)
-------------

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)