Cell Phones

Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 10:44 am
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 30, 2012
106 posts
32 upvotes
It seems I cannot add the $150 option to my account ( and couldn't even see what was remaining in the data bucket in my account). Therefore I topped up with a minimum data option that was good for a year .My data bucket wont be rolling over ..it expires in June 2020 and the extra data I bought expires in a year from today's purchase. Guess I will just top up as needed till I find another good plan for my needs.
For those left with money in account and who don't want any renewals ..as company (Rogers ) wont give money back can donate to charity.
https://www.mobilegiving.ca/en/current- ... n-options/
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19321 posts
7427 upvotes
Toronto
Lol, it's interesting that there remains interest in this plan. It was good for a while. Fido data plans made this rather obsolete.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2018
1224 posts
1320 upvotes
will888 wrote: Lol, it's interesting that there remains interest in this plan. It was good for a while. Fido data plans made this rather obsolete.
Mostly obsolete but still has some use. Some people don't care bout the speed and latency and just want a lot of data. 3G is still enough for a lot of things.

I do have to say I'm struggling to find good reason to keep using tbaytel data plan when Fido tablet data is much cheaper and significantly faster. Using more than 4 GB a month but under 20GB a year is a rather niche scenario, and even then it is not *that* good.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4126 posts
1052 upvotes
Charlottetown
will888 wrote: Lol, it's interesting that there remains interest in this plan. It was good for a while. Fido data plans made this rather obsolete.
for people with sporadic use or light users, A) no monthly payment B) no monthly unused data that you pay for regardless.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19321 posts
7427 upvotes
Toronto
townie22 wrote: for people with sporadic use or light users, A) no monthly payment B) no monthly unused data that you pay for regardless.
A) The no monthly payment is replaced by a yearly angst about cash and data carrying forward or not. If a top up is missed and the account deactivates, all is lost.
B) The Tbaytel plan is not the panacea as it is like a savings plan with no withdrawals allowed. There is no benefit when an account has hundreds in stranded funds and GBs unused data, yet you have to do the annual top up to keep the account alive. The bottom line is this service cost $8.33+HST per month whether you use it or not.

Plans from the tier 3 brands are pretty close in price. Recently Public Mobile offered a promo that drops their $15 plan down to $8 per month with auto payment. For that you get unlimited text, 100 minutes of calling and 250 MB data every month. This is ideal for the light user. I have ditched my Tbaytel plan long ago in favor of Public Mobile.

Another option is the Fido tablet data plan which can be as cheap as $0 if you are lucky enough to get the loyalty discounts. This plan is data only. Use of minutes and SMS is expensive.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1264 posts
817 upvotes
Toronto, ON
will888 wrote: A) The no monthly payment is replaced by a yearly angst about cash and data carrying forward or not. If a top up is missed and the account deactivates, all is lost.
B) The Tbaytel plan is not the panacea as it is like a savings plan with no withdrawals allowed. There is no benefit when an account has hundreds in stranded funds and GBs unused data, yet you have to do the annual top up to keep the account alive. The bottom line is this service cost $8.33+HST per month whether you use it or not.

Plans from the tier 3 brands are pretty close in price. Recently Public Mobile offered a promo that drops their $15 plan down to $8 per month with auto payment. For that you get unlimited text, 100 minutes of calling and 250 MB data every month. This is ideal for the light user. I have ditched my Tbaytel plan long ago in favor of Public Mobile.

Another option is the Fido tablet data plan which can be as cheap as $0 if you are lucky enough to get the loyalty discounts. This plan is data only. Use of minutes and SMS is expensive.
I'm glad you found something suitable for you. I use about 0.5 to 1.0 GB per month so your PM plan wouldn't work for me but Tbaytel's $100/year suits since I can buy the 10GB data add-on for less than the $100/yr to keep the account alive.

I had thought of switching to Fido but: 1. increased cost ($15x12=$180 if no discount) 2. no idea if discounts will continue from year to year and 3. I already have tbaytel sims and credit on account

We actually have 5 active tbaytel SIMs for 5 family members
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 19, 2005
9009 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
treasureseeker3 wrote: I'm glad you found something suitable for you. I use about 0.5 to 1.0 GB per month so your PM plan wouldn't work for me but Tbaytel's $100/year suits since I can buy the 10GB data add-on for less than the $100/yr to keep the account alive.

I had thought of switching to Fido but: 1. increased cost ($15x12=$180 if no discount) 2. no idea if discounts will continue from year to year and 3. I already have tbaytel sims and credit on account

We actually have 5 active tbaytel SIMs for 5 family members
I also agreed with you! Everyone has their different requirements. Point #1 and #3 are stopping me to move to Fido as well.
If we can't use up the Fido 5G per month, it is also waste money.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4126 posts
1052 upvotes
Charlottetown
i'm not trying to start trouble, i'm just saying this plan is still beneficial to some, i'm in the same boat as treasureseeker3 so it works out great for me, pay once a year, some months i use less than 1 GB, some months 1 or 2 GB.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 19, 2005
9009 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
townie22 wrote: i'm not trying to start trouble, i'm just saying this plan is still beneficial to some, i'm in the same boat as treasureseeker3 so it works out great for me, pay once a year, some months i use less than 1 GB, some months 1 or 2 GB.
Don't worry, we are just discussing. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2018
1224 posts
1320 upvotes
treasureseeker3 wrote: I had thought of switching to Fido but: 1. increased cost ($15x12=$180 if no discount) 2. no idea if discounts will continue from year to year and 3. I already have tbaytel sims and credit on account
Been using Fido, almost never not have the discount. On average between 50% to 100% off, I am getting around $5 a month on two different sim over the least 3 years.

Also it is much faster. If you haven't used LTE before I suggest you try it out. After using LTE I can't stand going back at all even if it is free. YMMV of course.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1264 posts
817 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cucumference wrote: Been using Fido, almost never not have the discount. On average between 50% to 100% off, I am getting around $5 a month on two different sim over the least 3 years.

Also it is much faster. If you haven't used LTE before I suggest you try it out. After using LTE I can't stand going back at all even if it is free. YMMV of course.
The speed increase isn't enough of a factor for me but if they would commit to $7.50/mo I'd switch.

If only you could get Fido to commit to lowering their price instead of it being a guess every year.
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2018
1224 posts
1320 upvotes
treasureseeker3 wrote: The speed increase isn't enough of a factor for me but if they would commit to $7.50/mo I'd switch.

If only you could get Fido to commit to lowering their price instead of it being a guess every year.
I would agree with that. If the speed isn't important and you have to make your dollar count with no uncertainty whatsoever. Tbaytel probably still wins by a hair.

That is really it though. As soon as you are open to a tiny bit of risk. Fido wins by a landslide.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1665 posts
581 upvotes
Oakville
Added bonus is voice calling (for emergencies) Tbaytel Prepaid is 30¢/min and free incoming text messages. And other benefits others have already mentioned for some users.

I Agree with previous posts with the value proposition and use cases of Tbaytel Prepaid is reduced with the aggressive Fido Tablet deal.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4126 posts
1052 upvotes
Charlottetown
i had been keeping half an eye on the Fido thread, and considering it now and then, but now they recently changed the offer (less GB+more money) and it's now not such a hot deal anymore. i'll continue to monitor it , perhaps next good deal.......

Top