Cell Phones

Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2024 11:27 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
Gee wrote: $10 is not a lot of money and if you want to tie it up for a year, that's up to you.

If it makes you sleep better at night, then by all means....
I read the memo, lol. In fact, $ were consumed making a few phone calls. Just saying it is nice to know there isn't a death clock hanging over the account if the dollars went to zero.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
will888 wrote: I read the memo, lol. In fact, $ were consumed making a few phone calls. Just saying it is nice to know there isn't a death clock hanging over the account if the dollars went to zero.
I use mine strictly for data

I have them in all my tablets. Calls don't apply
Oct 2, 2009
162 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I have a newbie question: I'm planning to buy a LG G3 dual sim for my wife. She's using non-data Roger plan. Is it okay to get a tbaytel sim for the data as the second sim? TIA.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
newbp wrote: I have a newbie question: I'm planning to buy a LG G3 dual sim for my wife. She's using non-data Roger plan. Is it okay to get a tbaytel sim for the data as the second sim? TIA.
I don't see why not.

But I think you can only use one SIM at a time, you basically have to swap lines on the phone to use the other SIM
Mar 9, 2015
5 posts
BC
So from reading the past 20 pages or so, to use this plan in Vancouver i would need to:

1) Get someone in TB to buy the prepaid sim (requiring an IMEI) and ship it to me
2) I would need to load up ~$150, for 20gb data, and text
3) Select the right addons for the data and text

Any rogers compatible phone works, but does rogers LTE work?
I would be able to use the data and text as long as I am on the rogers network, but any calls would be 40c/min.
Can i reload the 20gb of data/text anytime? Or only when close to using it all up?
Oct 2, 2009
162 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: I don't see why not.

But I think you can only use one SIM at a time, you basically have to swap lines on the phone to use the other SIM
Thanks for you reply. So you're saying we can't use both sim cards (one for call and one for data) at the same time? Eg browsing internet while receiving a phone call?

Also, how do we switch the card? Via an app or setting? Anyone is using such dual sim for call and data? Any detailed comment or recommendation is appreciated!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
newbp wrote: Thanks for you reply. So you're saying we can't use both sim cards (one for call and one for data) at the same time? Eg browsing internet while receiving a phone call?

Also, how do we switch the card? Via an app or setting? Anyone is using such dual sim for call and data? Any detailed comment or recommendation is appreciated!
According to the data on gmsarena, it is dual SIM standby. Both SIM slots can be loaded at the same time. When on a call, the data SIM does not work and vice versa.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3_dual_lte-6764.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_SIM
Oct 3, 2005
479 posts
31 upvotes
Edmonton
audit13 wrote: Does the SIM have a phone # assigned to it? If it does, sign into the prepaid site and log in using 1234 as the password.

https://prepaid.tbaytel.net/mhspaprepaid/login.aspx
Unfortunately it does not have a phone number assigned to it. They said they were just handed the SIM card and that was pretty much it, didn't have to set up an account or anything (which is weird).
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10229 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
cyberg4 wrote: Unfortunately it does not have a phone number assigned to it. They said they were just handed the SIM card and that was pretty much it, didn't have to set up an account or anything (which is weird).
Try this:
Call TBay Tel Customer service toll free phone number on this page:
http://www.tbaytel.net/personal/mobi...formationplans
to activate this sim on prepaid plan and ask them to completely block the SMS and Voice Mail on this account. Just leave it for Data only. Ask your phone number and online password.

Goto your online account at :
https://prepaid.tbaytel.net/mhspaprepaid/login.aspx
and login into your account to purchase prepaid credit and activate it on Data plan. There are many options and different expiry dates on each purchase amount. Make sure to plan ahead which option you want to take before buying prepaid credit because you are not using left over amount for any other services i.e. Talking or Texting which will be roaming outside of Thunderbay area. I like to buy $100 for 20 GB Data which is cheapestand good for 365 days.

From this thread (I left out step one since you have the sim):
canadas-cheapest-mobile-data-plan-20-gb ... r-1692705/
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga
hahhaha will this plan get audit cuz i see its in the hot deal section @.@.....
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
Lol cats out of the bag boys and girls. Hurry and update those contact details in your profiles ;)

The hot deal thread is getting ppl to call into tbaytel to activate their sim. I'm sure some idiot is going to call in and start asking dumb questions like i live in toronto not tb can i port my number
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1712 posts
647 upvotes
[QUOTE]i live in toronto not tb can i port my number [/QUOTE]

Would they really care? I mean if they are offering this deal they obviously feel there is some profit in it?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
jg123 wrote: Would they really care? I mean if they are offering this deal they obviously feel there is some profit in it?
You can't port your number... These types if questions to tbaytel will screw us all
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10323 upvotes
Toronto
I had a legitimate problem with my account and called customer service using my cellphone that had the TBaytel sim card inside so the CSR could see that I was calling using my Tbaytel sim.

If someone really needs to contact by telephone, I think it is best to call them using the sim, not a Toronto-based land line or cell without a Tbaytel sim.
Oct 3, 2005
479 posts
31 upvotes
Edmonton
Jimboski wrote: Your SIM must be unactivated then, you have to activate it yourself.
Yeah, it seems to be that way, although to activate it I need to go to Thunder Bay, which is a bit of a trip for someone in Edmonton. :facepalm:
It really is too bad that no other company even comes close to this type of deal. Even their $10 for 512mb is unheard of with other providers.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
+1,
That's why it's best to get an activated SIM so you dont need to ever call Tbaytel.

unfortunately you and I both know this not going to happen now that it's Hot Deals section :(

Someone, if not many ppl, will call the TBaytel call centre from non TB number to activate their SIM because they want to save that 40 cents per min. Same mentally of why the thread was posted in Hot Deals after 3+ years of flying under the radar. All to save a 1 time cost of obtaining an activated SIM for ongoing lifetime huge savings, with the potential negative outcome of us all getting shutdown.

I understand why the Hot Deal poster posted the thread to save ppl money on the sim cost. Not sure if everyone thought out all of the outcomes and consequences. Some ppl might call it fear mongering. Up to them how they feel
audit13 wrote: I had a legitimate problem with my account and called customer service using my cellphone that had the TBaytel sim card inside so the CSR could see that I was calling using my Tbaytel sim.

If someone really needs to may contact by telephone, I think it is best to call them using the sim, not a Toronto-based land line or cell without a Tbaytel sim.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga
Hahahha this is what is in my mind this morning when I saw it on the hot deal section

Let's just hope they do nothing but I am sure they will notice when a bunch of ppl start to call and activating their sim

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)