Cell Phones

Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2020 9:22 am
Jr. Member
Nov 26, 2014
180 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yuprules wrote: Correct! one of the rare phones that let you use TWO SIMS at once.
And you can use 3G on both?

Most Chinese phones only allow 3G on one, and 2G on the other.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 4, 2004
9013 posts
1598 upvotes
Montreal
at416905 wrote: And you can use 3G on both?

Most Chinese phones only allow 3G on one, and 2G on the other.
Negative, Slot 2 is 2G only so you would use that for calls/texting. But this is ALMOST the only ACTIVE DUAL SIM phone out there for a decent price.

Why would you want data on BOTH sim slots? Seems a little silly. Should be talk/text in slot 2 (2g), and tbaysim in slot 1 for data.

If you are traveling, you would move your "Canada sim" to slot 2 so you don't miss any important calls/texts to your Canadian number and then use the Roam Mobility sim in slot 1 for data AND calling/texting :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 19, 2007
3539 posts
2087 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
Few questions. Does this still exist? I saw a lot of stuff early in the thread 2 years ago or so about Roaming in Ontario with Data plan.

This is what I have and what I want:
- Family in Thunder Bay
- I live in Ontario
- I have a Nexus 4
- I'm in the woods a lot outside Barrie the only good coverage seems to be Rogers (Wind no Bell some better)
- I use a lot of data
- I hardly touch text/calls but will do some.

What am I looking at cost wise? How would I also get my family member to help me get this. The main one I'm in contact with is elderly and does not have a cell phone. I don't want her to have to sign or go through any hassles.

Also how would she move the account to my name? As if she were buying it for my Birthday?


If there is a EASIER way of not dealing with her I rather do that even if it costs me a bit more. Overall this would save me 100's.
---
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1664 posts
576 upvotes
Oakville
If at all possible, get them to go to a Tbaytel store and ask for a Prepaid SIM pay per use.

Store will require:
-Full Name. Doesn't matter who's name is on the account.
-any Imei number (as long as it's not been blacklisted as lost stolen) that matches the size of the phone you plan to put it in. Ie Nexus 4 is a micro sim. So any imei number thst matches with a phone thst uses micro sim.
-Phone make and model that matches with the above imei.

kanechart wrote: Few questions. Does this still exist? I saw a lot of stuff early in the thread 2 years ago or so about Roaming in Ontario with Data plan.

This is what I have and what I want:
- Family in Thunder Bay
- I live in Ontario
- I have a Nexus 4
- I'm in the woods a lot outside Barrie the only good coverage seems to be Rogers (Wind no Bell some better)
- I use a lot of data
- I hardly touch text/calls but will do some.

What am I looking at cost wise? How would I also get my family member to help me get this. The main one I'm in contact with is elderly and does not have a cell phone. I don't want her to have to sign or go through any hassles.

Also how would she move the account to my name? As if she were buying it for my Birthday?


If there is a EASIER way of not dealing with her I rather do that even if it costs me a bit more. Overall this would save me 100's.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1664 posts
576 upvotes
Oakville
Crackerd wrote: No, actually its not that clear. Especially if your not familiar with prepaid policies.

Thanks for the answer though. I guess this is an amazing deal for people with less than 2 gb per month and/or an inconsistent usage amount.
It's prepaid. If you use up the 20GB before the year is up, you can always top up another 20GB for $100. Cheapest data per GB.
Member
Nov 27, 2013
308 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's been 2 months and 10 days and I still have 19.74GB (half of which has been used on speedtest and the other half for calling/texting/rfding).

It is indeed the cheapest as Kursor17 mentioned, and with my continued usage...I may end up with 18GB left at the end of the year (all down the toilet). This verifies that I have no friends, and my wife married a loner.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 6, 2008
3491 posts
1274 upvotes
BC
jksp22 wrote: It's been 2 months and 10 days and I still have 19.74GB (half of which has been used on speedtest and the other half for calling/texting/rfding).

It is indeed the cheapest as Kursor17 mentioned, and with my continued usage...I may end up with 18GB left at the end of the year (all down the toilet). This verifies that I have no friends, and my wife married a loner.
Hah! Do you even Reddit brah?

That'll help burn some data fo sho!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
A HD movie can set jksp22 back almost 10 Gb. Reserve that for the last few days of the year LOL
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
jksp22 wrote: It's been 2 months and 10 days and I still have 19.74GB (half of which has been used on speedtest and the other half for calling/texting/rfding).

It is indeed the cheapest as Kursor17 mentioned, and with my continued usage...I may end up with 18GB left at the end of the year (all down the toilet). This verifies that I have no friends, and my wife married a loner.
You can burn real fast with kids visiting you and watching movies or sports
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 19, 2005
9007 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
yuprules wrote: Negative, Slot 2 is 2G only so you would use that for calls/texting. But this is ALMOST the only ACTIVE DUAL SIM phone out there for a decent price.

Why would you want data on BOTH sim slots? Seems a little silly. Should be talk/text in slot 2 (2g), and tbaysim in slot 1 for data.

If you are traveling, you would move your "Canada sim" to slot 2 so you don't miss any important calls/texts to your Canadian number and then use the Roam Mobility sim in slot 1 for data AND calling/texting :)
So can I use the slot1 for tbaytel sim, slot 2 for wind or Rogers sim for call? Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
can2000 wrote: So can I use the slot1 for tbaytel sim, slot 2 for wind or Rogers sim for call? Thanks
All dual sim phones only allow 2G in the 2nd slot. Somebody mentioned that only Rogers still has 2G (not Wind). The info seems to be correct.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Jr. Member
May 11, 2015
102 posts
20 upvotes
Unionville, ON
danieltoronto wrote: All dual sim phones only allow 2G in the 2nd slot. Somebody mentioned that only Rogers still has 2G (not Wind). The info seems to be correct.
I won't be so sure about that. A lot of Chinese phones (where the majority of dual sim phones origin from) support dual standby and I really doubt one sim would be limited to 2G only.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
10392 posts
3021 upvotes
casperr wrote: On a zenfone 2 yes
yuprules wrote: Correct! one of the rare phones that let you use TWO SIMS at once.
Where can one buy a zenfone 2 for a reasonable price? And do they come unlocked? Maybe it's time to upgrade from my Nexus 4.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 22, 2008
3572 posts
891 upvotes
Calgary
Memoryexpress.com, NCIX.com and Newegg.ca
Member
User avatar
Sep 20, 2013
426 posts
99 upvotes
GTA
I have been using the zenfone 2 for several weeks now with a fido flexi data plan in slot 1 and a speakout sim in slot 2 without any issues. I use fongo for all my voice calls on the fido data whereas the speakout is for any occasions when the fongo call drops. It may be time to close the fido data and move over to tbaytel. Has anyone been using fongo on tbaytel in the GTA area and would recommend this combination?
Sorry....yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.

Top