Cell Phones

Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2024 11:27 pm
May 29, 2005
158 posts
101 upvotes
audit13 wrote: With the sim in the phone, does the phone # according to the phone match the phone # when viewing the online account details?
it says "unknown" under phone number in the phone.
May 29, 2005
158 posts
101 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: In the summary on line, does it show the assigned 807#? There is no sim# in my "summary" at all.
Your phone does detect the SIM card when you boot it up. Search for tbytel/rogers network and register. I think that needs to be done the first time.
the summary online does show the 807 number. no sim# though. phone does detect the SIM and when i try to find and register to Tbaytel/Rogers, it gives me the error "SIM is not allowed connection to this network".
if i dont get any other suggestions here, i'll have to try Fred again to confirm sim# matches the cell number online and if so, then may need to contact Tbaytel tech support, although that is a last resort.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22161 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
When you first logged into the prepaid account, was there a name on the account?

It could be that:

1) the sim card is defective; or
2) the sim card is not provisioned properly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
keneng wrote: the summary online does show the 807 number. no sim# though. phone does detect the SIM and when i try to find and register to Tbaytel/Rogers, it gives me the error "SIM is not allowed connection to this network".
No harm done in trying to log on any other network that you can see. As you are in BC, it is remotely possible that you are to log on Rogers (not Tbaytel/Rogers network) instead.
Failing that get the Fred then
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
May 29, 2005
158 posts
101 upvotes
audit13 wrote: When you first logged into the prepaid account, was there a name on the account?

It could be that:

1) the sim card is defective; or
2) the sim card is not provisioned properly.
it does show my name online.
May 29, 2005
158 posts
101 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: No harm done in trying to log on any other network that you can see. As you are in BC, it is remotely possible that you are to log on Rogers (not Tbaytel/Rogers network) instead.
Failing that get the Fred then
available networks only shows Tbaytel / Rogers, Mobilicity, Bell, Telus, wind

and tried all individually just out of curiosity. how do i tell if my sim is activated? there is no signal, but does display "emergency calls only - Tbaytel / Rogers" so i assume its able to see the network but cant get on it for some reason.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22161 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like the sim is not activated. Call Fred first. If he can't help, call Tbaytel as it sounds like you have tried everything you can.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Can't wait to upgrade to Car Play or Android Auto (in 2020 perhaps) and I'll get one for each vehicle.
May 29, 2005
158 posts
101 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Sounds like the sim is not activated. Call Fred first. If he can't help, call Tbaytel as it sounds like you have tried everything you can.
thanks guys. the wrong sim was activated so its being straightened out for tomorrow.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5408 posts
11431 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: Can't wait to upgrade to Car Play or Android Auto (in 2020 perhaps) and I'll get one for each vehicle.
I don't think they need a separate sim cards but they get data from your phone.
And why would you need a separate sim even if they supported it. Aren't you driving with the phone all the time?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
seafish wrote: I don't think they need a separate sim cards but they get data from your phone.
And why would you need a separate sim even if they supported it. Aren't you driving with the phone all the time?
I'll probably just leave my used S3 in the car all the time and put in one of these SIM cards. That way there is no need to connect or reconnect the device.

You are right thought that our individuals phones, each with a SIM card, will do.
Banned
Aug 9, 2005
1478 posts
229 upvotes
Thanks all for all the info provided. Picked up my Tbaytel activated sim 3 months ago and finally topped it up and setup 20GB on it to replace my parents wind mobile rocket stick $15 1GB monthly plan. Using an old unlocked Huawei UMG587 hotspot from a friend. Just did a speed test w full signal and achieved
Latency 65ms
Download 16.9Mbps
Upload 1.38mbps
Almost tempted to get another setup for myself :P

Update: speedtest was done in late night after am. tried today and even with full signal only 7.7Mbps/0.92Mbps and in some instances 3-full bars (showing 4G connectivity) had 400ms+ latency and 0.69Mbps/0.1Mbps down/up stream. I hope that was because it was in that busy plaza but those are some very weak stats
Is it really so hard to just be humble and nice? Turn the web around and it starts with you
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
250 upvotes
Field BC
Mobi customers coming onboard to Rogers 3G mean potential for sucky speeds in the future in major cities. Especially if they keep offering unlimited plans (6 or 20GB cap)
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10230 posts
3143 upvotes
Montreal
MobiShopper wrote: Mobi customers coming onboard to Rogers 3G mean potential for sucky speeds in the future in major cities. Especially if they keep offering unlimited plans (6 or 20GB cap)
Lucky that there was no Mobilicity in Montreal :)
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
239 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
MobiShopper wrote: Mobi customers coming onboard to Rogers 3G mean potential for sucky speeds in the future in major cities. Especially if they keep offering unlimited plans (6 or 20GB cap)
lol in the 3 cities mobi operates in maybe, plus they get loowwww priority
Aug 22, 2015
48 posts
Is there a high success rate in terms of Tbaytel service working on Rogers locked phones? I have a Rogers locked phone and want to use Tbaytel.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22161 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
Should work with Rogers locked phones, even iPhone.
Apr 29, 2011
29 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone in Vancouver wants to try it PM me. I have a spare one with over 19GB expires in Aug 2016.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
You really think a handful of customers are going to bring down the network? It would be different if Rogers customers were migrating to Mobilicity.
May 28, 2004
851 posts
181 upvotes
how much do you end up to get this deal. if anyone don't mind sharing
one source I ask he wants
$25 for sim and activation , then $2 shipping (regular mail) ,
so
$25 + $2 + $112 , around $140?