• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2020 9:22 am
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2231 posts
177 upvotes
Mississauga
Yup
It's very choppy sometimes if you are in the building or have only few bars of signals
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8970 posts
1555 upvotes
Montreal
lachdanan wrote: Why do you need that when you can use fongo? Or is it because fongo sometimes doesn't get quality calls sometimes?
Many texts and calls vanish on Fongo, it isn't 100% reliable even if you have full signal.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10682 posts
2904 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
yuprules wrote: Many texts and calls vanish on Fongo, it isn't 100% reliable even if you have full signal.
...sounds just like Rogers.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51946 posts
16526 upvotes
lachdanan wrote: Why do you need that when you can use fongo? Or is it because fongo sometimes doesn't get quality calls sometimes?
Fongo on iOS is superior. My daughter's calls are almost crystal clear.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1257 posts
810 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm testing out Fongo on wifi (on an Android phone) while deciding whether to go for this tbaytel deal.

I'm able to call from the phone to a landline but when I text the fongo number from my Rogers cell service, Rogers thinks the fongo is a landline and it needs to convert the text to English. Is this normal?

I haven't added any money to my fongo account yet while I'm testing .. but fongo says incoming text messages are free.

Added note: texts from a Speakout service are coming through. Is anyone else having trouble with texts from Rogers services?
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Nov 27, 2013
308 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
- With the help of RFD users (especially Kursor17)
- PM me to add to the list (or modify existing item)
- if you were the first to figure out the answer to something below, let me know through PM and I can thank you in this post
- give me a like if this post is useful (that tells me it is needed and we will continue to update the post)

Who do I contact to get the SIM card and get it activated if I'm not in Thunder Bay?
You'll need to do your own research in this thread to find out how to get the sim. Please see question about why this deal should be kept quiet. Sorry, PMs asking me will go unanswered.

Why do you want to keep this deal quiet?
Tbaytel expects mostly local Thunder Bay customers and low percentage of data usage on Rogers network; higher than expected roaming data usage may cause tbaytel to investigate and then kill or change the deal. The point of RFD is to save ppl money. Either max # of ppl getting on a deal or max $ total savings as a collective. After 1 day posted in Hot deals the 'heat' is on and tbaytel is cracking down VS flying under radar for YEARS and continuing to save ppl money slowly but surely to not arouse suspicion from tbaytel. This thread in Hot Deals not only threatens new users but existing users who are enjoying it. Slow, steady, and controlled in Cell Phones section is what has made this deal have staying power. -ssiu, Kursor17

How can I help keep this deal quiet and low profile with Tbaytel?
Minimize or dont call the Tbaytel call centre. You should be able to fully setup and maintain your account online without ever calling the call centre. Calling them simply raises suspicions.

Some of the past deals were killed because of massive abuse. For example...
- Wind Mobile Unlimited Data
- 7-11 Speak Out Unlimited Web Browsing
- Kindle Keyboard 3G Unlimited Data Worldwide

These are just a few out of many deals that were killed due to overexposure. -Kursor17

Why is this so great?
Best value for mobile data. 20GB for $100 with 1 year expiry ($5/GB). Since it's prepaid, if you use up the 20GB before the year is up, you can always buy more data. Next best are Tablet Flex LTE Data Plans from the Big 3/Flankers at 1GB for $20-25/month, 5GB for $35-40/month. -Kursor17

I'm going to Thunder Bay or have a friend there. How can they get a Prepaid SIM for me?
Get them to go to a Tbaytel store. Tbaytel will require: Full Name, IMEI, and Phone Make and Model. Phone Make and Model MUST match to the IMEI you give them. Please don't be stupid and give them a blacklisted IMEI/Phone. -Kursor17

Can I port my number to Tbaytel (eg GTA number into my Tbaytel)?
No. -Kursor17

That sucks, if I can't port my current number into Tbaytel, this plan is useless to me since people would pay long distance to call me.
Go to each of the Big 3 & FLanker's web-sites. Most if not all offer Nationwide calling. Long Distance charges is a thing of the past. -Kursor17

What do I do with my current phone number (eg GTA #), since I can't port it into my Tbaytel account?
Some people port their current phone number to a VOIP provider like Fongo or VOIP.MS. Then use their phone number over data.
Others use a dual SIM phone and port their number to 7-11 Speak Out (25 cents/min incoming/outgoing). -Kursor17

Is Fongo or VOIP reliable for voice calls?
That's up for debate. Dedicated voice will always be more reliable over VOIP over mobile data. VOIP will be unreliable in highly congested areas/times and while driving. -Kursor17

I got a Tbaytel Prepaid account. Should I update my personal info under prepaid.tbaytel.net account management portal?
DO NOT add any further Contact details under 'Personal Info'. Eg Adding your Contact Number will get you banned at Tbaytel. You're basically telling Tbaytel, hey look at me, I'm not in Thunder Bay, please ban me. -Kursor17

When does data expire?
When the data bucket reaches zero or 365 days after subscription or account expiry, whichever comes first. No carryforward.
-tbaytel's website "EXPIRES: When applied to Minute or Day Plans, Text & Data Add-Ons are valid for one year from the date of subscription. Subscribing to Add-On packages is not recommended with 30 Day Plans."
-tbaytel's staff "You have one year from date of purchase to fully consume your Data or Text Add On.. However, the following rules override the one year period where your account balances can expire earlier; For Pay by the Minute plans with Data and Text add ons they can last 365 days if you Topped Up with $100 which also lasts 365 days. If lower Top Up amounts were purchased then the account would expire sooner, however, if you Top Up during the 7 day grace period, then you will extend the expiry date again. If you didn't top up in the 7 day grace period the account is swept and your add on balances are set to zero. The 7 Day Grace Period is a result of the CRTC's Wireless Code."

But wait! Try this! We have users who carryforwarded!

-BeaverLiquor (first user to discover on Dec '15)
So my balance was set to expire later today and I didn't use up all my data or balance for the year which I was expecting to lose but I logged onto my account just now to check if my data an balance expired, it didn't. However, the option to add data became available again and I was able to top up and my remaining unused data carried forward, so now I have 26.4 gb of data in my pool and $7 overall in my account.

-will888 - during grace period (and stacked data)
So, here are the exact details. I had 3.36 gigs left over from the original 20 gig purchase. I also had $7.80 left in the account. The expiration on my top up was January 16, 2016 at 09:30am. At 10:30am on January 16, 2016, I logged in and as expected the system says I have expired my account. I went ahead and added $100 ($113 with HST) and topped up 10 gigs of data (new total was 13.36 gigs) which changed my expiry to January 15, 2017, 10:33:38am (system is accurate to the second, took me about 3 minutes to complete the transaction). I have no clue why I lost a day but I am NOT going call in to complain given that it really doesn't matter. My cash total is now $37.80, which means the $7.80 carried over as well. So, for those who don't want to wait more than a second after expiry, you don't have to.

-sickens - before account expiry date
So my unused data totally rolled over.
I had almost 12GB left of the 20GB I originally purchased for $100 in March of 2015. I topped up with $100 for another 365 days on the expiry just a couple days before the account expiry March 2016, and my data bucket shows 11.94GB with an account expiry of March 2017.
I'm not even going to touch the $100 I topped up with and save it for next year or unless I run out of data this year.

-G0DKING - before account expiry date
My data expiry was today, but my account expiry is next month.

In the Add-On Packages tab, it doesn't mention my Data expiry at all; it just shows the Available Data & SMS options. Also, I can now buy more data; it says "Click To Add" instead of "N/A".

But in the Summary tab it still says:
"Account Information
[...]
Data Bucket: 12 (GB)
Expiry Date: 2016/05"

And in the History tab, at the exact time my data expiry was set to expire, it says:
Code:
Charge Type Origination Date-Time Duration (Sec or KB) Bucket Adjust ($) Balance ($)
Destination
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bucket Adjustment 2016/04-10:00:00 0 Data: 12582912KB 0.00 17.00

Are there roaming charges outside of Thunder Bay?
No, as long as you remain connected to the Tbaytel or Rogers network on this data plan (within Canada).

Give thanks to jksp22 for making this FAQ.

Do you get a LTE sim card?
Yes, from my own experience.

Does this plan allow access to LTE network?
No, it is HSPA. Around 10/1 speed. Note that LTE sim card does not mean you will get LTE speed.

Do sim cards only work on the phone’s whose IMEI was used to activate the sim card?
No, IMEI doesn’t affect the SIM card.

What are some of the fees are we talking about?
SIM(micro/nano) + mail + $100 + tax for plan (no other monthly fees like 911).

After I've bought my 20GB for $100+Tax, do I need to maintain a positive account balance? In other words, will accounts with $0 balance expire in 4 months?
No. Confirmed by 'Gee' that he left his account at $0 after purchasing 20GB data for greater than 4 months and his account was not closed. It's four months after expiry date. For example, if 20 gig data add on is purchased resulting in a $100 top up being completely used up, the 4 month clock is still pushed forward a year. This caveat will help to put at ease those concerned about the need to keep a positive monetary balance to stop the 4 month expiry clock. Although, there's no harm in adding another $10 top up, just to be sure. -Kursor17, will888

What is “add-on or account expiry date”?
Add-on expiry date removes any dollar balance and any data or text add-on balances and is set by the amount of your last top-up. In tbaytel's words, "After the Top-Up expires, there is a 7 day grace period to Top-Up again to retain previous balances, Add- Ons, etc.. If a Top-Up is not done within the 7 day grace period, the account will be cleared and Data Add-Ons will be lost. All time periods or references are in Eastern Time Zone (ET)."

What is “account deactivation date”?
Account deactivation date is 4 months of having a $0 balance and would be when tbaytel disables your number/account and possibly redistributes it to a new customer.

Will it work on Rogers locked phone?
It should.

If you top up twice (different amounts), when does it expire?
The longer of the two top up expiry dates. The longer expiry date will always be kept.

Does tethering work?
Yes, my oneplus works perfectly.

After top-up, what do I do?
Add the data add-on. Otherwise, you will be charged 1 cent per 100 kb.

Should I be reliant on this in the long run?
No. So if you want something in the long run, stop pursuing and move on. -will888

How much is it to make a call?
40 cents per min outgoing, 20 cents per min incoming. -Kursor17

I can't seem to add more data! Why is that? When can I add more data?
When you have 200mb left, you can start adding more.

Does roaming need to be on?
No.

Where do I add funds?
Here.

Top Up Amounts - Expires
$10 - 30 Days
$25- 60 Days
$50- 90 Days
$75 - 150 Days
$100 - 365 Days

*Account balances ($) can be carried forwarded if top up occurs before your expiry date as per the CRTC link. -Kursor17

What is the password?
Default password is 1234. -can2000

Can I use it on ASUS Zenfone 2?
Have tbaytel sim card in 3G slot. The other is 2G and is provided by Rogers.

How does this prepaid account work?
In general, prepaid accounts are the same across all carriers. Eg. account balances carry fwd if topped up before expiry date.
Check the two links below for general questions about prepaid accounts.
http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/questions/138.aspx
http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/

What's Fongo? How does it work?
Fongo thread: tbaytel-prepaid-data-125-20gb-365-day-e ... e-1139985/

I get calls from Thunder Bay (807 area code) phone numbers I DO NOT recognize. What should I do?
Don't answer. Ignorance is bliss.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
8988 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the FAQ post. I think it is better to put 100+ tax, instead of $100. So, $113 in Ontario.

Also, default password for new account is 1234.

People might be interested in knowing the ASUS Zenfone 2 with 2 activated sim slots :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1198 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
I think an FAQ should explain why we want to keep this deal hush-hush. (e.g. tbaytel expects mostly local Thunder Bay customers and low percentage of data usage on Rogers network; higher than expected roaming data usage may cause tbaytel to investigate and then kill or change the deal)

(Human psychology -- people are more likely to follow instructions if they understand why; otherwise some may react negatively "why should I do what you say, you are not the boss")
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1640 posts
558 upvotes
Oakville
Logic Does not apply to internet discussions.

Example:
"The point of RFD is to save ppl money. Either max # of ppl getting on a deal or max $ total savings as a collective. After 1 day posted in Hot deals the 'heat' is on and tbaytel is cracking down Vs flying under radar for YEARS and continuing to save ppl money slowly but surely to not arouse suspicion from tbaytel. This thread in Hot Deals not onky threatens new users but existing users who are enjoying it. Slow steady controlled in Cell Phones section is what has made this deal have staying power"
ssiu wrote: I think an FAQ should explain why we want to keep this deal hush-hush. (e.g. tbaytel expects mostly local Thunder Bay customers and low percentage of data usage on Rogers network; higher than expected roaming data usage may cause tbaytel to investigate and then kill or change the deal)

(Human psychology -- people are more likely to follow instructions if they understand why; otherwise some may react negatively "why should I do what you say, you are not the boss")
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19293 posts
7410 upvotes
Toronto
The expiry explanation needs to take into account the purchasing of one time add ons. For example, if 20 gig data add on is purchased resulting in a $100 top up being completely used up, the 4 month clock is still pushed forward a year. This caveat will help to put at ease those concerned about the need to keep a positive monetary balance to stop the 4 month expiry clock.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
if i top up 113$ and add the 20 gb data addon on aug 1/15 , NEVER use any data , so on july 30th 2016, i top up another 100$ and don't apply it to anything, will my 20gb addon rollover or it just dissapears aug. 1 ,2016

thx
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15622 posts
2411 upvotes
Toronto
Any unused data will not be carried forward.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2231 posts
177 upvotes
Mississauga
hahahah i thought that question is answered under the Q&A that jksp22 nicely put it together.....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)