Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2020 9:22 am
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19313 posts
7418 upvotes
Toronto
Kursor17 wrote: Logic Does not apply to internet discussions.

Example:
"The point of RFD is to save ppl money. Either max # of ppl getting on a deal or max $ total savings as a collective. After 1 day posted in Hot deals the 'heat' is on and tbaytel is cracking down Vs flying under radar for YEARS and continuing to save ppl money slowly but surely to not arouse suspicion from tbaytel. This thread in Hot Deals not onky threatens new users but existing users who are enjoying it. Slow steady controlled in Cell Phones section is what has made this deal have staying power"
Definitely, maximum benefit comes from a controlled use of this plan. With savings being blood sport like for some RFDers, things can get out of hand pretty fast.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
4005 posts
6924 upvotes
Ottawa
Might add to FAQ that if you're not planning on using 20 GB of data, you better choose 10 GB for 55$ and leave 45$ on account. I believe those 45$ can be carried over after 1 year and used towards calls or sms.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1664 posts
576 upvotes
Oakville
seafish wrote: Might add to FAQ that if you're not planning on using 20 GB of data, you better choose 10 GB for 55$ and leave 45$ on account. I believe those 45$ can be carried over after 1 year and used towards calls or sms.
This was discussed many pages back already. It doesn't make financial sense unless youre a heavy voice user since youll keep carrying large balances over year after year to keep the $100/1year expiration
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
4005 posts
6924 upvotes
Ottawa
Kursor17 wrote: This was discussed many pages back already. It doesn't make financial sense unless youre a heavy voice user since youll keep carrying large balances over year after year to keep the $100/1year expiration
So it make sense to loose your data for nothing? OK....
Because I know that I won't use more then 1 GB a month and I don't want to loose 45$ which I could use for something.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1664 posts
576 upvotes
Oakville
seafish wrote: So it make sense to loose your data for nothing? OK....
Because I know that I won't use more then 1 GB a month and I don't want to loose 45$ which I could use for something.
Up to you...

Top Up Amounts - Expires
$10 - 30 Days
$25- 60 Days
$50- 90 Days
$75 - 150 Days
$100 - 365 Days

jksp22 can you add chart to your faq. Don't give me credit for this one. It's on tbt website
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
4005 posts
6924 upvotes
Ottawa
Kursor17 wrote: Up to you...

Top Up Amounts - Expires
$10 - 30 Days
$25- 60 Days
$50- 90 Days
$75 - 150 Days
$100 - 365 Days
Top up amount is not relevant here. You still top up 100$ but use 55$ towards 10 GB leaving 45$ for a 1 year with option to carry over.
I just saw some posts here where people were using like 5 GB by the time their account expires wandering what to do with this data. The answer is - don't buy that much data if you're not going to use it. If you end up using more then 10 GB you can still add 5 GB for 35$ afterwards.
Nov 27, 2013
308 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
seafish wrote: Top up amount is not relevant here. You still top up 100$ but use 55$ towards 10 GB leaving 45$ for a 1 year with option to carry over.
I just saw some posts here where people were using like 5 GB by the time their account expires wandering what to do with this data. The answer is - don't buy that much data if you're not going to use it. If you end up using more then 10 GB you can still add 5 GB for 35$ afterwards.
I'm actually one of those people. I will have 18GB left at least.

Now tell me if I'm missing anything.

1) $100 top up + 10GB. Left-over money ($45) to buy three Canadian 5000 texts

2) $100 top up + 10GB. Left-over money carryforward. Top up $100 for another year, now you have $145. Buy 10GB. Now you have $90. Continue doing this for benefits of calls or mix with texts.

3) $100 top up + 20GB. Rinse and repeat.

Aren't all those option equally good based on usage? This discussion is not valid if the top up amounts ALSO expire in one year. Has anyone been able to confirm that your top up money carryforwards?
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14570 posts
2194 upvotes
Toronto
The only way to use this deal is to buy 20GB. Any other method and you aren't maximizing your savings.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
4005 posts
6924 upvotes
Ottawa
wilsonlam97 wrote: The only way to use this deal is to buy 20GB. Any other method and you aren't maximizing your savings.
No. What's the point of buying 20 GB if you're not going to use half of it?
I'm still paying just 100$ a year, have 10GB(and I'm confident that I won't need more then that) + I have 45$ on balance to use towards occasional calls and texts.

There is no any other option to do this on the market. So, I am maximising my savings.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14570 posts
2194 upvotes
Toronto
seafish wrote: No. What's the point of buying 20 GB if you're not going to use half of it?
I'm still paying just 100$ a year, have 10GB(and I'm confident that I won't need more then that) + I have 45$ on balance to use towards occasional calls and texts.

There is no any other option to do this on the market. So, I am maximising my savings.
If you don't mind, you can call using data with Fongo. 1MB/minute = $0.0049/min

That's cheaper than PAYG rates which is 40¢/min on the Rogers network.
Nov 27, 2013
308 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wilsonlam97 wrote: If you don't mind, you can call using data with Fongo. 1MB/minute = $0.0049/min

seafish is of course counting in the usage of fongo in 10gb. Let's not ignore his post, it's a valid point.

Let's say you are given a cake and a bottle of coke. You can take the coke if you only eat half of the cake. You know you will only eat a half of it. Will you take the whole cake without coke, then throw away the uneaten half? Or will you also take the coke as well because you just want half of the cake. That's all you need anyways.

$100 is a sunk cost if we just purchase 20gb. But if we know we will use only half, then we can make the sunk cost $55 on data. The $45 can be saved for extra features WHILE enjoying all of fongo/wechat/etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1664 posts
576 upvotes
Oakville
Yes, account balances carry fwd if you top up before your expiration date.

Data and txt packages DO NOT carry over.

These rules are the same across all carriers wrt Prepaid services.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm
jksp22 wrote: I'm actually one of those people. I will have 18GB left at least.

Now tell me if I'm missing anything.

1) $100 top up + 10GB. Left-over money ($45) to buy three Canadian 5000 texts

2) $100 top up + 10GB. Left-over money carryforward. Top up $100 for another year, now you have $145. Buy 10GB. Now you have $90. Continue doing this for benefits of calls or mix with texts.

3) $100 top up + 20GB. Rinse and repeat.

Aren't all those option equally good based on usage? This discussion is not valid if the top up amounts ALSO expire in one year. Has anyone been able to confirm that your top up money carryforwards?
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
239 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
wilsonlam97 wrote: If you don't mind, you can call using data with Fongo. 1MB/minute = $0.0049/min

Fongo is less than ideal on Rogers HSPA. It will usually work but I've noticed it tends to mess up when I needed it most. LTE never had problems for me though!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19313 posts
7418 upvotes
Toronto
When everybody is migrated over to the latest calling plans that includes Canada wide calling, the use of a Thunder Bay area code will become less of an issue. For now, I think most people will get the most benefit from buying cheap data. With dual SIM devices like the zenfone 2, the option of getting a speakout SIM for slot 2 is viable.