Hot Deals

[TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card] Add authorized user for $50 AF and receive 5,000 Aeroplan miles YMMV

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1384 posts
3324 upvotes
Pawtucket

[TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card] Add authorized user for $50 AF and receive 5,000 Aeroplan miles YMMV

Received this email today. Add an authorized user ($50 AF) and get 5,000 Aeroplan miles. Not a bad deal if you are looking for some extra miles.

Terms:
This 5,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles offer is available for only one (1) new Authorized User Card (you can have a maximum of three (3) Authorized Users on your Account), that is set up and added to your TD® Aeroplan® Credit Card Account ("Account") between June 27, 2019, and August 24, 2019. Annual Fee for each Authorized User Card added to the Account will apply. Authorized User must call and activate their Card by September 30, 2019, and Account must be in good standing to receive this 5,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles offer. Please allow up to 8 weeks after the Authorized User has activated their Card for the 5,000 miles to be credited to your Aeroplan Member account associated with your Account. The Primary Cardholder is responsible for all charges to the Account, including those made by any Authorized User. This offer may be changed, extended or withdrawn at any time without notice and cannot be combined with any other offer unless otherwise stated. These miles are not eligible for Aeroplan status.
Capture.JPG
40 replies
Dec 28, 2018
25 posts
12 upvotes
Thanks OP. I received the same email but not sure it a good deal to earn AP miles or not?
Deal Addict
May 20, 2009
1048 posts
515 upvotes
Mississauga
ericdao wrote:
Jun 28th, 2019 6:54 am
Thanks OP. I received the same email but not sure it a good deal to earn AP miles or not?
Money wise, it sounds like a good deal.
If you use aero to buy commercial airline tickets, it is above 2c each aero.
If you buy normal tickets, it is between 1c to 1.5c
So $50 is a good deal exchange 5k aero.

However, for 2 reasons I won't do it.
1) money can buy lots of things, aero can't or needs to be significant devalued.
2) there are so many other ways to earn aero.

That said, if you are short of 5K aero towards a good purchase, this is a good deal and I think it is only good for those people.
PM $13/30 days, 250MB with unlimited incoming
Carrytel cable internet, 75m unltd, $35/30d
Zoomer $36/mo, 4gb loyalty plan
Dec 28, 2018
25 posts
12 upvotes
gardener28 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2019 7:46 am
Money wise, it sounds like a good deal.
If you use aero to buy commercial airline tickets, it is above 2c each aero.
If you buy normal tickets, it is between 1c to 1.5c
So $50 is a good deal exchange 5k aero.

However, for 2 reasons I won't do it.
1) money can buy lots of things, aero can't or needs to be significant devalued.
2) there are so many other ways to earn aero.

That said, if you are short of 5K aero towards a good purchase, this is a good deal and I think it is only good for those people.
Thanks for your opinions.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
2555 posts
620 upvotes
I wonder if the annual fee is reimbursed as a pro-rated amount if you cancel the authorized card a few months after activating (when you receive your miles obviously). Could definitely make this a deal worth participating in.
Jul 4, 2018
137 posts
199 upvotes
Got this as well. FYI - if you have the TD All-inclusive account, you get to add 1 authorized user for free
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1154 posts
591 upvotes
Conservatively at 1.4cpp (which is what various travel sites value AP at), 5k AP = $70.

The higher end of the "average" valuation I've seen is 2cpp for economy tickets, which puts 5k AP = $100.

Even at the low end of 1cpp, 5k AP = $50

So you can see this as "coming out on top" no matter what - you break even in a worst case. Caveat, I assume you're booking airline tickets... merchandise rewards yield < 1cpp.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
1900 posts
143 upvotes
TheLawB wrote:
Jun 28th, 2019 9:08 am
Got this as well. FYI - if you have the TD All-inclusive account, you get to add 1 authorized user for free
Really? I did not know this...I don't see anything on the website stating that.
Oct 16, 2007
183 posts
43 upvotes
Did this in the last month before my annual anniversary date a couple of months back. CIBC pro-rated at first, and ultimately scrapped the fee for the extra cardholder. So for me it ended up being a free 5000pnts just before product switching to the no fee adventura. Hopefully you are near anniversary time so you can try to minimize additional cardholder fee.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1238 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
$50 for 5,000 aeroplan points isn't a hot deal IMO.. Unless you're on the all inclusive where you get the AU for free then its fine.

If you've got a trip coming up in the next year where you need the points then i'd do it, but with the question mark looming over aeroplan for 2020 it's not a good time to start hoarding AP.. Best case is a devalue when AC takes over.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5535 posts
491 upvotes
Ottawa
Me and my wife are each primary holders of this card, can I still add her as an AU? Can I upgrade my chequing account to AI, then add the AU for free?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1757 posts
801 upvotes
I agree with others' sentiment. Paying $50 for 5000 aeroplan miles isn't a hot deal, but if you need the miles for a booking it would make sense.
Oct 17, 2014
101 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jeeva86 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2019 3:51 pm
Me and my wife are each primary holders of this card, can I still add her as an AU? Can I upgrade my chequing account to AI, then add the AU for free?
Yes and yes
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3984 posts
1124 upvotes
But this is free for those who have an All inclusive account. But is it worth it to give a card to the "spouse"? :twisted:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)