Expired Hot Deals

[TD Bank] TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite (80k WB + FYF)

Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ceruleanfridge wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 5:16 pm
In case people didn't know, this card has a foreign transaction fee of 2.5%. I only found out today when talking to a rep - they informed me that there is no TD credit card without a FX fee (at the moment).
Most cards have the fee, the ones that don’t are exceptions.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Mar 3, 2019
3 posts
4 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 5:28 pm
Most cards have the fee, the ones that don’t are exceptions.
I wrongly assumed CCs marketed as travel wouldn't have the fee - I mean cards without the fee are likely marketed as travel cards but not the other way around...

IMO this kinda nerfs this card if your travel is primarily outside Canada. You wouldn't explicitly pay FX fees on ExpediaTD purchases, but the fees would be bundled into the ExpediaTD price. I just looked at a flight to Asia that was 940 on expedia.ca and 900 on the airline's site. Of course it's hard to estimate the average ExpediaTD markup, but I'm probably going to pick the HSBC world elite over this card.
Jul 8, 2017
84 posts
58 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 4:15 pm
Does a product switch require a credit check, going from a TD Classic Travel to the Travel Visa Infinite, the card in this thread.
No credit check for a product switch. Card number even stayed the same for me.
Mar 30, 2018
279 posts
145 upvotes
I have two cards from TD

1. Visa infinite cashback that i got about a year back (Limit 11K)
2. Visa infinite Aeroplan ( just received and haven't activated yet) Limit 5K

I want to get rid of cashback and get the First class card instead, what option is the best to ensure wc bonus for first class?

1. Product switch from cashback to first class
2. Apply first class and cancel cashback once i receive the first class card ( TD has already given 11K+5K credit, will they give more?)
3. Cancel cashback first and then apply online for first class
4. Get the credit limit reduced from 11k to 5k on cashback and apply for first class
Last edited by srz5095 on Mar 5th, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1188 posts
628 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 4:15 pm
Does a product switch require a credit check, going from a TD Classic Travel to the Travel Visa Infinite, the card in this thread.
No, but you also wouldn't get the welcome bonus if you do a product switch.

If you (or anyone else in this thread) does a PS and actually qualifies for the WB (20k + 60k, FYF), please do share.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
1973 posts
1053 upvotes
Etobicoke
sports1 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 7:17 pm

If you (or anyone else in this thread) does a PS and actually qualifies for the WB (20k + 60k, FYF), please do share.
I did product switch yesterday and i was told that i will get 20,000 points after first purchase and 60,000 more if spend ?$1000 in first 90 days.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1188 posts
628 upvotes
specialoffers wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 7:19 pm
I did product switch yesterday and i was told that i will get 20,000 points after first purchase and 60,000 more if spend ?$1000 in first 90 days.
Interesting... please update if you get the first 20k on purchase when you get the card. I'm highly dubious as this seems contrary to TD's policies normally (WB only on new applications).
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
1973 posts
1053 upvotes
Etobicoke
sports1 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 7:26 pm
Interesting... please update if you get the first 20k on purchase when you get the card. I'm highly dubious as this seems contrary to TD's policies normally (WB only on new applications).
I know that too. Agent got confirmation from his supervisor. So i will keep you posted.
Jun 16, 2016
18 posts
4 upvotes
My wife & I both bank with TD & we tried to apply for this credit card through TD EASYWEB. We both got pre-approval however it only states the 20k pts WB after 1st purchase and nothing about the 60k pts after 1k minimum purchase within 90 days. Anyone has same experience?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
4685 posts
2800 upvotes
jetertmac wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 11:33 am
Just to confirm, but is this offer the best offer for someone that isn’t planning to keep this card after the free 1 year? 400 credit to travel sounds pretty good but just wondering if there are any other better card offers out there. Any input would be appreciated.
There are plenty of other new CC sign up bonuses available out there, but to keep it from going completely off topic you might want to line up this TD FCT card with 80K/FYF, and see how it compares with TD's best ever promo for the Aeroplan Visa Infinite card, currently 'on sale' for 30K/FYF (RFD thread here).

With Aeroplan, normally you would typically get a value of 1 cpp if you didn't try with some effort to find a better redemption. But if you have some basic knowledge of how to use your Aeros you'll likely earn about 1.5cpm on a decent booking net of the AeroScam taxes. So at this valuation the 30K are worth $400. Potentially more value if you book even smarter.

But, realistically, if you are just starting from scratch to play with Aeroplans, you only need to use 25K for a NA roundtrip, so the extra 5K are doing nothing for you. There may be an argument that in-and-out folks will only use 25K anyways, and at 1.5cpm it's a $375 value. You can cut this cake many ways.

With the 80K from the FCT card, booking inside the Expedia For TD portal will be cut and dry, a $400 value (200 pts per $1). Booking outside of their portal nets only $320 (250 pts per $1).

So, it's more or less a saw-off, but if you're lazy and don't want to think or do homework, I'd suggest the FCT with the current promo. I can't believe I just said that, as for years I've avoided opening the FCT card, and valued Aeroplan way more highly.

It's only because the AeroPeso is likely due for a tumble in value by next year, that has pushed us to spend time in the FCT playground as reported last year.

Otherwise instead of this thread's FCT card, we'd be aiming our credit bureau canyons at the Aero Visa card, and firing away at will.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
2628 posts
699 upvotes
Shawnies wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 4:16 pm
So are we all in agreement now - if you apply for both aeroplan and first class, and spend 1K on both, you will get the welcome bonuses for each card.
waiting for some DPs from ppl that actually

1) applied and applied for both during the promotion period
2) actually have the bonus points posted after activating card and meeting min spend.

if someone can confirm this would be greater, for now ill just apply for one. i will apply for the second once those DPs are posted
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8530 posts
2288 upvotes
sports1 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 7:17 pm

I was told I will get the 80000 points and FYF with the product switch, yesterday and today, see what happens.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4465 posts
1390 upvotes
Winnipeg
I decided to call in to apply, after trying online through numerous methods and still getting the error message or getting to 90% and not being able to click apply...

(Chrome/Firefox/IE/Safari, IPHONE, incognito/private, logged in through TD easy web, not logged in etc)

Application took 15 minutes (+ 7 minutes on hold to start) and I was approved immediately.

Not as long/tedious as I thought it would be and the rep assured me I would be eligible for the "online only new application" promo...
Oct 13, 2017
149 posts
224 upvotes
Halifax
For all the ppl that called in/ planning to call in, and I speak from personal experience, if you can record the phone call to use it as an evidence in case TD does not honour the promo.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
3148 posts
1234 upvotes
Toronto
SavvyShopperCa wrote:
Mar 6th, 2019 11:40 am
For all the ppl that called in/ planning to call in, and I speak from personal experience, if you can record the phone call to use it as an evidence in case TD does not honour the promo.
What is the preferred method to record phone call? And do you have to notify TD phone rep that you are recording?