TD bank us transfer money to other US banks

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2020 8:53 pm
[OP]
Aug 30, 2010
39 posts
2 upvotes

TD bank us transfer money to other US banks

Hi I am moving to the US soon and considering TD cross border banking to send money from Canada to US. As TD doesn't have a branch or ATM in the area that I am moving to, I will eventually also need open a bank account with a US bank such as Chase. I am wondering if people here have experience transfer money from TD US account to another US bank. Is it free? Can it be done online and how long does the transfer take? Is there transfer limits?

Is RBC better for my purpose? I bank with TD in Canada so that would be most convenient to start with. But if RBC is much better it might worth me opening an account with them.

Thanks!
4 replies
Feb 4, 2019
900 posts
1343 upvotes
BC
TD Bank in the US lets you connect external accounts and transfer to/from them. Similar to Canadian online banks.
It's only available if you have a US address on file but that should not be an issue in your case since you are moving there.
Jan 21, 2018
26 posts
12 upvotes
Look into Zelle. It is similar to Interac etransfer. I think it is offered by TD US. Beyond that you have Google Pay, Apple Pay Cash, Facebook Pay, Venmo, Square Cash app, and PayPal. More traditional transfers include ACH to link your accounts together and writing yourself a check and using your other bank’s mobile deposit.
Oct 12, 2005
339 posts
290 upvotes
Terrace
I'd look at using Transferwise or another FX service to send your money from Canada to the US instead of through TD. You'll save a lot on the rates. You can send it directly to your other bank (i.e. Chase) from the FX service, or send it to your US TD account in USD and use ACH or even cashier's check to get the money transferred to the other bank.
Mar 23, 2004
41626 posts
7615 upvotes
Markham
rhw123 wrote: TD Bank in the US lets you connect external accounts and transfer to/from them. Similar to Canadian online banks.
It's only available if you have a US address on file but that should not be an issue in your case since you are moving there.
Can we have CDN and US addresses on file like how RBC works?