Hot Deals

TD, BMO, CIBC, Scotia and Manulife cash back 10% cards welcome bonuses end dates vary

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 4:31 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5451 posts
4268 upvotes
whiteGSR wrote: If I switch from my TD FCI to TD CBI, do they assign a new CC# or do I keep my old one?

Has anyone that has switched comment?
Not only is the Visa number the same, but so is the expiry and CVV number on the back of the card, so you can continue to use the same card info for your online purchases and if you've set up any PAPs with them. The new card product starts earning in the new rewards program by the next day, and in my testing with a new CBVI card I used the same card number info within hours after PS'ing and it already started to earn the 10% cash back.

The physical cards themselves though, will stop/start working once you call to activate the new card product. Which means you can even activate the new card before you receive it in the mail, but there's no advantage to do this as it cuts off your existing in-hand card. Also, if you already have this card in your Apple Pay it must be re-registered once you've activated the new card.
Jun 1, 2005
882 posts
219 upvotes
GVR
bizee-bee wrote: Not only is the Visa number the same, but so is the expiry and CVV number on the back of the card, so you can continue to use the same card info for your online purchases and if you've set up any PAPs with them. The new card product starts earning in the new rewards program by the next day, and in my testing with a new CBVI card I used the same card number info within hours after PS'ing and it already started to earn the 10% cash back.

The physical cards themselves though, will stop/start working once you call to activate the new card product. Which means you can even activate the new card before you receive it in the mail, but there's no advantage to do this as it cuts off your existing in-hand card. Also, if you already have this card in your Apple Pay it must be re-registered once you've activated the new card.
Great thanks for all that have answered. I was seeing if I had enough time to switch and take advantage of Costco's $200 gc offer.

[EDIT] I made the switch, but the rep said "for sure" will take 1 business day before it will earn the new card rates which I what yo usaid, but when I log into TD Rewards, it is already showing the new card....hmmm, should I risk a $2K purchase...
Feb 4, 2019
880 posts
1312 upvotes
BC
mzmoney wrote: That's great! Have you registered your card at tdrewards.com to see calculations for each transaction? If not, check it out. Multiple lines for each transaction, which may give you a headache/blurry vision, however, you can see all, in real time :)
The transaction history lags behind a few days so I wouldn’t call it real time.

The funny thing with TD is that they split out the cash back in base earn (always 1%), accelerators (gas, grocery, PAP, additional 2%) and possible bonus CB (depends on the WB offer). It’s such a convoluted system that even TD’s programmers lose track sometimes and unintentionally give use more cash back than we’re supposed to get.
May 4, 2018
192 posts
113 upvotes
For Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite I tried to sign up online but because of my mortgage payments brought the income below 60k so I got declined even though I have a household income of more than 100k.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
1322 posts
565 upvotes
TerenceP19670 wrote: For Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite I tried to sign up online but because of my mortgage payments brought the income below 60k so I got declined even though I have a household income of more than 100k.
Exactly, I’ll never be able to get Scotia card, despite having decent salary (much higher than the minimum 60k). I’ve investment house and they consider that as liability similar to credit card debt and saying my overall ratio is not good.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2403 posts
2407 upvotes
GTA
rhw123 wrote: The transaction history lags behind a few days so I wouldn’t call it real time.
Oops, not real time ... anything online where you don't need to wait for statement to cycle is *almost real time for me. Editing my post with your correction, thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5451 posts
4268 upvotes
whiteGSR wrote: Great thanks for all that have answered. I was seeing if I had enough time to switch and take advantage of Costco's $200 gc offer.

[EDIT] I made the switch, but the rep said "for sure" will take 1 business day before it will earn the new card rates which I what yo usaid, but when I log into TD Rewards, it is already showing the new card....hmmm, should I risk a $2K purchase...
Sorry, didn't see your edit till now. Is there a deadline to get the $200 gift card? I would say if you can make your purchase and get a refund, then go for it.
Jun 12, 2010
729 posts
158 upvotes
Vancouver
has anyone successfully churned scotia momentum (and received another bonus)? last closed Nov 2019. thanks!
Jun 1, 2005
882 posts
219 upvotes
GVR
bizee-bee wrote: Sorry, didn't see your edit till now. Is there a deadline to get the $200 gift card? I would say if you can make your purchase and get a refund, then go for it.
All good, the item I wanted sold out, so I never got a chance to buy it

At least the first 3 months now covers any BF purchases I may have, so I should be good. Thanks for responding.
May 4, 2018
192 posts
113 upvotes
headleygrange wrote: Exactly, I’ll never be able to get Scotia card, despite having decent salary (much higher than the minimum 60k). I’ve investment house and they consider that as liability similar to credit card debt and saying my overall ratio is not good.
I called in and my application went through. I guess the website just does simple math as a filter. I dont get the gcr or other website promo though.
[OP]
May 26, 2011
795 posts
579 upvotes
headleygrange wrote: TD CBVI - I’ve not reached 2k spending, but my cash back has already crossed 200. Just wondering how they are calculating the 10%.
Have you figured out what's happening yet?
Last edited by maverikbc on Sep 25th, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
Feb 4, 2019
880 posts
1312 upvotes
BC
maverikbc wrote: I've passed the initial $2k spending, I've noticed grocery is earning 6% instead of 3%. I'll keep experimenting with small amounts.
That’s a known easter egg with that card. The 10%/$2000 is overlayed on the old 6%/$3500 G&G promo. After hitting $2k you have 6% on G&G for the next $1500.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5451 posts
4268 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: That’s a known easter egg with that card. The 10%/$2000 is overlayed on the old 6%/$3500 G&G promo. After hitting $2k you have 6% on G&G for the next $1500.
Affirmative, rhw. Overlayed on top, so only 6% on G&G for the same first 90 days/3 months of the new CBVI card opening. I feel like a failure, as I didn't get to fully use all those extra 6% gimmes.
Feb 4, 2019
880 posts
1312 upvotes
BC
bizee-bee wrote: Affirmative, rhw. Overlayed on top, so only 6% on G&G for the same first 90 days/3 months of the new CBVI card opening. I feel like a failure, as I didn't get to fully use all those extra 6% gimmes.
It’s scraping the bottom of the barrel but 3x PP reloads do the job ;)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5451 posts
4268 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: It’s scraping the bottom of the barrel but 3x PP reloads do the job ;)
Heh, not quite the bottom. Using my CIBC Dividend for 4% would be even lower. I did think about doing the PP loads with 6% CB and roughly 1.3% effective fee, but the COVID-cloud really dampened the spirit to go the extra distance to claim those cookies sitting on the table (about $70 worth).