Hot Deals

TD, BMO, CIBC, Scotia and Manulife cash back 10% cards welcome bonuses end dates vary

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2020 8:08 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1147 posts
1229 upvotes
I'm slightly regretting closing my BMO World Elite for the Scotia Visa Infinite. I've had it when it was still 1.75% return (now those days were awesome). The reason why I'm dropping BMO for Scotia because I'm transferring my banking to the latter - lower maintaining balance (5k vs 6k) and welcome bonus for new accounts. I cannot afford parking 6k in BMO just to cover the yearly fees of the WE.

But I realize I do most of my shopping in Costco and No Frills - both only accept Mastercard. I got excited with the 4% in grocery and thought of buying gift cards to fund online purchases but it voids the extra year warranty CC perk.

Are there any cards out there that reward more than 1% in Costco? I can use my CT WE at No Frills but it's only 3%.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7739 posts
1736 upvotes
Mont-Royal
for the cibc 10% infinite cb, does returning a product removes the 10%?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jul 7, 2016
338 posts
690 upvotes
ca_gascon wrote: I'm slightly regretting closing my BMO World Elite for the Scotia Visa Infinite. I've had it when it was still 1.75% return (now those days were awesome). The reason why I'm dropping BMO for Scotia because I'm transferring my banking to the latter - lower maintaining balance (5k vs 6k) and welcome bonus for new accounts. I cannot afford parking 6k in BMO just to cover the yearly fees of the WE.

But I realize I do most of my shopping in Costco and No Frills - both only accept Mastercard. I got excited with the 4% in grocery and thought of buying gift cards to fund online purchases but it voids the extra year warranty CC perk.

Are there any cards out there that reward more than 1% in Costco? I can use my CT WE at No Frills but it's only 3%.
Rogers WE gets you 1.5% but they may start enforcing the annual minimum spending requirement ($15,000).

HSBC gets you 1.5% in points, but has an AF that is offset by a travel credit ($149 AF less $100 TEC = $49 net AF) which can be reduced further if you decide to bank with HSBC.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12521 posts
3390 upvotes
Scarberia
cibc cb div infinite card gets 6% for groceries and gas after u already spent the 2k in 3months? tia
i've stopped using this card

aside from dirt cheap gas with the journie card at pioneer gas stations!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2505 posts
2515 upvotes
GTA
ca_gascon wrote: But I realize I do most of my shopping in Costco and No Frills - both only accept Mastercard. I got excited with the 4% in grocery and thought of buying gift cards to fund online purchases but it voids the extra year warranty CC perk.

You can buy Costco Gift Cards online with a TD/CIBC 10% cash back Visa first 3 months, to use in person at Costco. A bit of a pain and extra step, however, a workaround. Otherwise BMO 10% Cashback MC first 3 months, with first year free, if you're ok returning back to BMO :)
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1147 posts
1229 upvotes
Presents wrote:
Rogers WE gets you 1.5% but they may start enforcing the annual minimum spending requirement ($15,000).

HSBC gets you 1.5% in points, but has an AF that is offset by a travel credit ($149 AF less $100 TEC = $49 net AF) which can be reduced further if you decide to bank with HSBC.
mzmoney wrote:
You can buy Costco Gift Cards online with a TD/CIBC 10% cash back Visa first 3 months, to use in person at Costco. A bit of a pain and extra step, however, a workaround. Otherwise BMO 10% Cashback MC first 3 months, with first year free, if you're ok returning back to BMO :)
I'll probably just have to live losing 0.5%. I used to have the HSBC WE but cancelled it when I stopped banking there. That card was good to me - covered my rental insurance when the rental company fraudulently charged me with rock chips on the hood that were already there. Although I just didn't like how there was not a lot of options on how to claim the points.

Looking to replace the BMO WE longterm. But if I don't like the cash back accumulation, I'll probably just end up going back to BMO once I'm eligible again for a new account bonus.
Last edited by ca_gascon on Sep 27th, 2020 12:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
1992 posts
1117 upvotes
ca_gascon wrote: I'm slightly regretting closing my BMO World Elite for the Scotia Visa Infinite. I've had it when it was still 1.75% return (now those days were awesome). The reason why I'm dropping BMO for Scotia because I'm transferring my banking to the latter - lower maintaining balance (5k vs 6k) and welcome bonus for new accounts. I cannot afford parking 6k in BMO just to cover the yearly fees of the WE.

Some No Frills accept Visa. Varies by store. You can also buy GC at Loblaws to spend at No Frills.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
1992 posts
1117 upvotes
L4cky wrote: for the cibc 10% infinite cb, does returning a product removes the 10%?
It removes the standard 1% but you keep the bonus 9%.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7739 posts
1736 upvotes
Mont-Royal
bubak wrote: It removes the standard 1% but you keep the bonus 9%.
so can buy something at 2000$ and return it? and not worried anymore?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
1992 posts
1117 upvotes
L4cky wrote: so can buy something at 2000$ and return it? and not worried anymore?
Don't abuse it and don't talk about it too much. I found out with a bunch of legitimate refunds when covid started.
Dec 1, 2013
107 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
I just signed up for the Scotia Momentum Infinite card, planning to spend the $2k on upgrading computers during Black Friday.

From what I'm understanding, they'll pay the bonus rate within 7 months and the regular cb during some payment schedule most likely next year (for me since I just signed up)? If they pay it out this November I probably wouldn't have spent much unless I see some nice deals before Black Friday.
Oct 11, 2018
168 posts
106 upvotes
aweawea wrote: If I remember correctly, CIBC cards display upon activation.
will the method that the post you replied to even work for this 10% offer? I have a basic dividend CIBC visa and am in the process of doing a new application (NOT A PRODUCT SWITCH) for the Visa Infinite. Will I even get the bonus 10%?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1493 posts
1749 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
brandonw17 wrote: will the method that the post you replied to even work for this 10% offer? I have a basic dividend CIBC visa and am in the process of doing a new application (NOT A PRODUCT SWITCH) for the Visa Infinite. Will I even get the bonus 10%?
If you use the correct link to apply then yes. I have a long time a no-fee dividend card and just this month opened a dividend infinite. I was approved for 20k CL and made a $10 Amazon reload immediately upon activation to confirm I got $1.00 cashback and not 10¢ so the 10% is working for me.
Jan 26, 2020
317 posts
65 upvotes
Canada
bubak wrote: Don't abuse it and don't talk about it too much. I found out with a bunch of legitimate refunds when covid started.
You shouldn't have even answered the question. This could cause a lot of problems. You know bad people will take advantage of this. Hopefully the bank can flag them somehow. If the original poster could delete the question that would be very helpful for those of us that use the card properly. Then the person that answered could delete theirs and I can delete this and its gone. I have no love of banks but its just wrong when they get taken advantage of. Like returning something for cash pretending you don't have or use your credit card anymore. The store eats the credit card fee and that's just wrong. Principles in finance are very important. Maybe I'm being a little anal about this....
Jan 26, 2020
317 posts
65 upvotes
Canada
Why does CIBC not show the 10% offer on their website, only through the Red Flag link posted on the first page of this thread? I even asked a CIBC rep today and they claimed it must be a dead link but it accepted my application.

Main CIBC page for cash back credit cards:
https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... cards.html

CIBC page for the Dividend Infinite card:
https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... -card.html

Red Flag link:
https://www.cibc.com/en/special-offers/ ... ID=2014193

Another 10% offer from CIBC. It pays to search the site for "10%"!
https://www.cibc.com/en/special-offers/ ... offer.html