Hot Deals

TD, BMO, CIBC, Scotia and Manulife cash back 10% cards welcome bonuses end dates vary

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2020 8:08 pm
[OP]
May 26, 2011
809 posts
604 upvotes
stovetop wrote: EDIT: I called and they wanted proof of income (last 2 paystubs). I sent it to them and now I'm approved.
Interesting. When I applied for their Rewards WEMC several years ago, I got the same message and I called them. All it took was I had to verbally confirm my income.
killer007 wrote: so....is BMO offer 10% for exsiting customer too right?
as long as you upgrade from other mastercard?

cuz i called to upgrade but the guy kept telling me its only 5% hahahahah
i am kind of confuse now and 1st year still have fee 120$
BMO has refused me PSing with WB a few years ago. I think they're one of the toughest against churners, so I haven't gotten any cards from them since. I used to have their premium account to get things like a card AF waiver, limited amount of free international ATM (standard 2.5% FTF still applied), but now I got Stack, I have only one no fee card with them.
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
Apr 2, 2016
333 posts
223 upvotes
CIBC Dividend Infinite Application - keep getting an error message with a picture of a penguin
"Oops, someone pulled the plug
The system may be down for maintenance. Please try again later."

Tried twice, same message. Any suggestions?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5444 posts
925 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote: I have held multiple identical CIBC card products before, the Aerogold Visa Infinite (2 concurrently), and the Aerogold Visa for Business (3 concurrently). I've never tried to get the same 10% Dividend Visa, concurrently.

As reference, I also currently have 4 existing CIBC cards in total.

Last week I used the GCR.ca link to apply for the Dividend Infinite Visa, and I did not get instant approval. Instead I got "We received your application but we can't give you an instant decision. We'll review your application and may contact you if we need more information. If approved, you'll receive your card and welcome package shortly. If your application is not approved, you'll receive a letter explaining why." And, it also gave me an application reference number.

Next day they did a hard pull on my Equifax file, and then later in the day I got an email: "We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in a CIBC product. We are contacting you about the recent application/credit inquiry you submitted. In order for us to process your request we require some additional information. Please call CIBC at your earliest convenience at 1-888-726-7320."

So I called and spoke to after-hours rep. He asked if my reference number starts with a "3", but nope it begins with "4", so he said he can't help me out on-the-spot, but based on the notes that the credit analyst left on my file, he says it mentions that I have 2 options.
  1. Since I have 4 other CIBC Visa cards, and they all have over $5K on each of them, I can convert one of them to get the new Dividend Infinite. Hmm, tempting, but they already pulled my Equifax file, so no help in that regard. Plus, I believe this means I won't get the 10% offer attached to my new application file, as it's basically a product switch and they've refused to give me this 10% offer with FYF when I called about it last month.
  2. I can carve some limits off some of my other cards to add to this application file, and then they can resubmit and push along the application to the next stage. Ok, it means no guarantee if I'll get approved, but I do like this option, as it will preserve the GCR source code in my application file for the 10% offer. So I asked them to take $2500 from 2 different cards, ensuring the existing cards still do have at least $5000 limit on each, for future PS'ing to a premium card (YMMV these days, but anyways).

------
  • So 3 business days later I saw my limits reduced on the existing cards.
  • Another 3 business days later on Monday, I received an email from CIBC: "You're approved for the CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite Card".
  • Another 3 business days later on Thurs, I got the new card in the mail. I activated later in the evening, and then immediately spent $2 on an Amazon.ca gift card reload, to test the waters.
  • By the next day I'm seeing Cash Back Earned = $0.20, which confirms the 10% rate through the GCR.ca link.

So, I've now got the Trifecta of CIBC Dividend Visa cards in my wallet: Basic, Platinum and Infinite.

Sorry for the Wall of Text
bbee, the king of concurrent card churns, did you have to do call in to lower your card's credit limit or you can do it online? I'm trying to figure out my success rate in running both the plat and infinite with 10% cb. I've held the infinite now for just 3 months and passed my 2k so I want to take advantage of the plat offer too.

Aside from lowering credit limit and making sure I report under 60k for salary, is there anything else I can do to increase chance?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
3539 posts
1352 upvotes
Ottawa
Is it hard to get approved with Manulife?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5524 posts
4425 upvotes
TruE SkiLLS wrote: bbee, the king of concurrent card churns, did you have to do call in to lower your card's credit limit or you can do it online? I'm trying to figure out my success rate in running both the plat and infinite with 10% cb. I've held the infinite now for just 3 months and passed my 2k so I want to take advantage of the plat offer too.

Aside from lowering credit limit and making sure I report under 60k for salary, is there anything else I can do to increase chance?
WIth CIBC, I called to get my limits adjusted. I don't believe there is a way to do it online, with a self-serve tool like the RBC.com site.

I don't know if 90 days is long enough to avoid CIBC scrutiny, for a second CC product during COVID, even though they are different product types. My experience in prior years was to wait at least 45 days before a second CC application, to avoid auto-system rejections (this was during my multiple concurrent CIBC AeroBiz applications).

If you don't pass their first-level sniffers, and are requested to contact them to discuss, just have your reasons ready for wanting the Platinum version. Be honest and mention you have some large spending upcoming and you want to take advantage of the promotion.

Their analysts may even suggest you to just open a second Infinite version, and then you can come back here to show us dem waggin' tail feathers! Woud love to hear you success stories. Bring back a pulse to these floundering CC discussion threads.

Good luck!
Jun 1, 2015
578 posts
183 upvotes
Calgary, AB
TruE SkiLLS wrote: bbee, the king of concurrent card churns, did you have to do call in to lower your card's credit limit or you can do it online? I'm trying to figure out my success rate in running both the plat and infinite with 10% cb. I've held the infinite now for just 3 months and passed my 2k so I want to take advantage of the plat offer too.

bizee-bee wrote: WIth CIBC, I called to get my limits adjusted. I don't believe there is a way to do it online, with a self-serve tool like the RBC.com site.

I don't know if 90 days is long enough to avoid CIBC scrutiny, for a second CC product during COVID, even though they are different product types. My experience in prior years was to wait at least 45 days before a second CC application, to avoid auto-system rejections (this was during my multiple concurrent CIBC AeroBiz applications).

If you don't pass their first-level sniffers, and are requested to contact them to discuss, just have your reasons ready for wanting the Platinum version. Be honest and mention you have some large spending upcoming and you want to take advantage of the promotion.

Their analysts may even suggest you to just open a second Infinite version, and then you can come back here to show us dem waggin' tail feathers! Woud love to hear you success stories. Bring back a pulse to these floundering CC discussion threads.

Good luck!
I am also interested in applying for CIBC platinum dividend Visa- currently have the cibc infinite dividend visa.

To clarify, should I call cibc first to lower the limit on my infinite visa first *before* applying for the platinum dividend Visa? My credit limit on the infinite is 11k so if the minimum limit for the infinite Visa is 5k, then I have the room to lower my limit to the minimum 5k.

Once I call in and have my limit on infinite dividend Visa lowered, I can then try to apply for the platinum dividend Visa through the GCR link?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8081 posts
1158 upvotes
TO
Out of all the 10% listed which ones are good to apply at this moment? Asking because apart from TD almost all have once a year redemption end of year right?
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1493 posts
1750 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
TorontoEh wrote: Out of all the 10% listed which ones are good to apply at this moment? Asking because apart from TD almost all have once a year redemption end of year right?
CIBC is changing to on-demand cashback ($25 minimum) starting February 1. They've also introduced new dining/transit/recurring multipliers.

I thought I'd be closing this Dividend Infinite after churning the MSR but it is actually becoming my daily driver as soon as the changes come into effect in Feb!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
7850 posts
2135 upvotes
multi city dweller
aweawea wrote: CIBC is changing to on-demand cashback ($25 minimum) starting February 1. They've also introduced new dining/transit/recurring multipliers.

I thought I'd be closing this Dividend Infinite after churning the MSR but it is actually becoming my daily driver as soon as the changes come into effect in Feb!
i will get it shortly via gcr ...
it will be more perfect if the 4% limit is a bit higher and recurrings get the same 4% like the smvi ...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8081 posts
1158 upvotes
TO
Searchin4deals wrote: CIBC Dividend Infinite Application - keep getting an error message with a picture of a penguin
"Oops, someone pulled the plug
The system may be down for maintenance. Please try again later."

Tried twice, same message. Any suggestions?
That happened to me repeatedly, I was told to apply by phone which took 40 mins (sigh) and got it done.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1378 posts
277 upvotes
Burnaby
maverikbc wrote: Interesting. When I applied for their Rewards WEMC several years ago, I got the same message and I called them. All it took was I had to verbally confirm my income.

BMO has refused me PSing with WB a few years ago. I think they're one of the toughest against churners, so I haven't gotten any cards from them since. I used to have their premium account to get things like a card AF waiver, limited amount of free international ATM (standard 2.5% FTF still applied), but now I got Stack, I have only one no fee card with them.
I'm surprised. I have churned out BMO more times then I expected.

BMO world elite MC twice.
BMO airmiles world elite MC twice.
BMO business world elite MC twice.
BMO business airmiles MC once.

Currently holding, business airmiles world elite, personal world elite, and cashback world elite.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1862 posts
1350 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote: That happened to me repeatedly, I was told to apply by phone which took 40 mins (sigh) and got it done.
Do you get the 10% on the first 2k spent if you apply over the phone?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8081 posts
1158 upvotes
TO
adilh53 wrote: Do you get the 10% on the first 2k spent if you apply over the phone?
yes no issues with that although the offer wasn't coded properly over the phone as I had imagined and had to make couple of calls over the next month - it was finally fixed in march of this year.

Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1493 posts
1750 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
adilh53 wrote: Do you get the 10% on the first 2k spent if you apply over the phone?
TorontoEh wrote: yes no issues with that although the offer wasn't coded properly over the phone as I had imagined and had to make couple of calls over the next month - it was finally fixed in march of this year.
That doesn't sound like "no issues" to me lol...