Hot Deals

TD, BMO, CIBC, Scotia and Manulife cash back 10% cards welcome bonuses end dates vary

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2020 10:15 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1498 posts
1762 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
emiabe wrote: Re CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite / Platinum
I am a regular (no AF) CIBC Dividend Visa cardholder. My 4% cb period is ending soon, but I think I cannot close the account yet. I have to wait until Dec 2020 or Jan 2021 to receive the cb.

Am I correct in thinking that I will not be approved for a platinum card application at least until I cancel the no fee card? If so, how soon after account closing would I become eligible to apply?
Thanks.
Holding one has no bearing on approval for another. You can hold both so if you're confident in your bureau profile then go ahead and apply. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
1992 posts
1119 upvotes
aweawea wrote: Holding one has no bearing on approval for another. You can hold both so if you're confident in your bureau profile then go ahead and apply. :)
Does it affect the welcome bonus and FYF?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6479 posts
926 upvotes
Ottawa
wth, td cbvi works for PS? I thought TD got more strict with eliminating WB on PS? I had the VI AP that I canceled earlier in the year because I thought PS was dead...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
6930 posts
3238 upvotes
Montreal
jeeva86 wrote: wth, td cbvi works for PS? I thought TD got more strict with eliminating WB on PS? I had the VI AP that I canceled earlier in the year because I thought PS was dead...
YMMV, you are supposed to wait a couple of months to get bonuses on product switch. Easier if you change family (From Aeroplan to Cashback Infinite for example)...

I might cancel my 2nd TD card because it's not that old (less than 2 years old), but will keep my main TD card that I keep PS from one card to another.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1120 posts
209 upvotes
My big insurance expense is coming Nov 28th, 2020. I plan to apply for the CIBC platinum to get the 10% cash back but since the expense is on Nov 28th and CIBC is issued cash back on Dec xxth, 2020.
The Nov 28th (saturday) are too close to Dec that the statement period might not cover the intended expense and it will slip into Jan statement and delay the cash back to Dec next year.
Anyone with experience on the timing of CIBC credit card? how do I time my application date?
TIA
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5529 posts
4442 upvotes
phht wrote: My big insurance expense is coming Nov 28th, 2020. I plan to apply for the CIBC platinum to get the 10% cash back but since the expense is on Nov 28th and CIBC is issued cash back on Dec xxth, 2020.
The Nov 28th (saturday) are too close to Dec that the statement period might not cover the intended expense and it will slip into Jan statement and delay the cash back to Dec next year.
Anyone with experience on the timing of CIBC credit card? how do I time my application date?
TIA
Call your insurance company and ask if you can pay in early Nov, even though the policy doesn’t renew till later in the month. Insist that they charge your Visa on the day you call, and NOT to wait till the renewal date. TD Insurance allows you to do this, as reported by a few people at other RFD threads.

I would apply in early Oct to ensure you have the card available to use by early Nov, just in case there are any complications in approval/delivery.

Or, open the TD CBVI, and then you won’t be in this crunch, since the CB is available to use anytime after the transaction posts. Already have a TD CBVI? Then apply for a second one. Now, YMMV to get the offer again if it’s been too soon from when you opened the earlier first card, but others have pulled this off.
Apr 18, 2020
32 posts
15 upvotes
Refer to earlier posts for warnings re. CIBC Dividend WB. Not sure if they have cleared that up since then.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2544 posts
2560 upvotes
GTA
HenryToanN35155 wrote: Refer to earlier posts for warnings re. CIBC Dividend WB. Not sure if they have cleared that up since then.

Sounds like safest bet for new applicants is to sign up via logging into GCR Account, cut & paste + screenshot all pages/links, Ts & C ... to ensure no issues with receiving 10% WB
Images
  • gcr_cibc.png
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1120 posts
209 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote: Call your insurance company and ask if you can pay in early Nov, even though the policy doesn’t renew till later in the month. Insist that they charge your Visa on the day you call, and NOT to wait till the renewal date. TD Insurance allows you to do this, as reported by a few people at other RFD threads.

I would apply in early Oct to ensure you have the card available to use by early Nov, just in case there are any complications in approval/delivery.

Or, open the TD CBVI, and then you won’t be in this crunch, since the CB is available to use anytime after the transaction posts. Already have a TD CBVI? Then apply for a second one. Now, YMMV to get the offer again if it’s been too soon from when you opened the earlier first card, but others have pulled this off.
Thank you very much for your reply, and verified my concern about the timing was indeed true. I will try your 1st suggestion which is asking the insurance to charge the credit card early.
TD CBVI is no-go as I still have it and will cancel in coming Nov.
BMO is 50-50 as I may still be in the unqualified year window,
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2544 posts
2560 upvotes
GTA
phht wrote: Thank you very much for your reply, and verified my concern about the timing was indeed true. I will try your 1st suggestion which is asking the insurance to charge the credit card early.
TD CBVI is no-go as I still have it and will cancel in coming Nov.
BMO is 50-50 as I may still be in the unqualified year window,
Yes, @bizee-bee has great advice for you!

Fyi, CIBC pulled the Aerogold offer early with end date.

Interesting, this 10% one has a start date and no end date:

"This offer applies to the following Eligible Cards: CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite* Card and CIBC Dividend Platinum® Visa* Card. You can qualify for this offer if you apply and are approved for a new eligible card beginning June 2, 2020."

Cross fingers that CIBC 10% CB offer via GCR remains until Q4.

Cheers!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5529 posts
4442 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: Yes, @bizee-bee has great advice for you!

"This offer applies to the following Eligible Cards: CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite* Card and CIBC Dividend Platinum® Visa* Card. You can qualify for this offer if you apply and are approved for a new eligible card beginning June 2, 2020."

Cheers!
Good catch, Z. I didn't think about the promo expiry dates.

@phht, CIBC have been known to yank their offers unannounced. Since you'll need to make your big spend by late Nov, if you don't want to lose the opportunity for the CIBC 10% offer then you might want to consider applying by mid to late Aug (or even TODAY). The CIBC 10% earn rate for max $2000, is on the first 4 statements. The first statement could be a short 1-2 weeks after approval, or it could be a month later, YMMV. Let's say you apply mid-Aug, and they run a short cutoff date on the new card with the first statement in late Aug or early Sep. The 4 statements will still carry you through to November's spending.

For the TD CBVI, it's noted that the expiry for the current promo period is Sep 8th. Keep this in mind, if you still want to go the TD CBVI route (yes, I know you have an existing TD CBVI, but may want to "play a hand" and try to get a second concurrent one). But there's a good chance that TD will re-promo the same 10% offer on its card for another 2-3 month period, starting Sep 9 - ???. This is the way they operate, with ~3 month promo periods at a time and often it's just the same promo offering as the previous offer. Usually, not always.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1120 posts
209 upvotes
mzmoney wrote:
Yes, @bizee-bee has great advice for you!

Cheers!
bizee-bee wrote: Good catch, Z. I didn't think about the promo expiry dates.

@phht, CIBC have been known to yank their offers unannounced. Since you'll need to make your big spend by late Nov, if you don't want to lose the opportunity for the CIBC 10% offer then you might want to consider applying by mid to late Aug (or even TODAY). The CIBC 10% earn rate for max $2000, is on the first 4 statements. The first statement could be a short 1-2 weeks after approval, or it could be a month later, YMMV. Let's say you apply mid-Aug, and they run a short cutoff date on the new card with the first statement in late Aug or early Sep. The 4 statements will still carry you through to November's spending.

For the TD CBVI, it's noted that the expiry for the current promo period is Sep 8th. Keep this in mind, if you still want to go the TD CBVI route (yes, I know you have an existing TD CBVI, but may want to "play a hand" and try to get a second concurrent one). But there's a good chance that TD will re-promo the same 10% offer on its card for another 2-3 month period, starting Sep 9 - ???. This is the way they operate, with ~3 month promo periods at a time and often it's just the same promo offering as the previous offer. Usually, not always.
@mzmoney . I checked CIBC site indeed the promo 10% is still there. why apply thru GCR is better than direct to CIBC?
@bizee . Thanks for the advice. I will call insurance to see if they can do it early, if so I will apply this week or next as the latest. I pass TD route.
Nov 22, 2014
490 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Re-applied TD CBI, approved.

What I did different this time:

Changed monthly expenses to a higher amount, higher income, applied for the lowest 5k credit amount...last time applied for 8k
Same 800+ credit score with many CC's being churned
redflagkiller wrote: CIBC card came after a week. Existing customer with 2 cards beforehand
TD rejected me. Surprised, am existing customer with 3 cards. 800+ credit score. Don’t know beacon score
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5529 posts
4442 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: Sure, if you can go direct via CIBC, I would do that vs GCR.

Here's where I went and only see 4% for G&G:

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... cards.html

Can you post the CIBC link, with 10%?
The vanilla signup directly at CIBC is no longer 10%. However, @phht may be referring to a direct link with an affiliated/promo code, that was posted at the CIBC thread. Or, apparently there's a way to trick the CIBC online application with a cancel-application and re-start the application trick. I'd just go through GCR, because I can see the offer, make screenshots, and have a GCR click-history as well.

Jr Bee recently applied, through GCR, for the Dividend Platinum Visa card, by listing an annual income below $60K, so that it didn't auto-upconvert the application to become the Dividend Infinite Visa card. Now the Dividend Infinite Visa remains as another option for later this month, for another 10% promo offering. CIBC doesn't (normally) allow you to apply for the exact same card within 45 days. The Platinum and Infinite cards are two different products, but have the same 10% promo offer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)