[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10684 posts
7091 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
mbmbkop wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 5:18 pm
I just noticed that that 1-855 number on the application form is followed by a note that applicants who are not 21 yet need to fax their applications to [number listed in the OP] :)

While I do not yet have any first-hand experience with this card myself I suggest to actually discuss this in the OP so that people can make informed decisions about whether or not they should follow the OP to the letter... Of course, I am making a wild guess here that most people interested in this card are over 21.
Product threads aren't a discussion in OP. I posted a recipe known to work. If more confirmed info is brought up in thread, I can add it to OP, as I've been doing.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
2060 posts
2043 upvotes
Montreal
bend3r wrote:
This I can understand. Perhaps a future move to US and taking a mortgage etc.
Yup, I do hope to buy some property in Florida at some point.
bend3r wrote:
But I do have a question here. AMEX/HSBC can transfer your credit history to US - so does it matter in this case :) The only downside I see is that with TD card, the history build can be used with any other bank in US. With HSBC I am pretty much stuck with HSBC.
Not sure about HSBC, but Amex doesn't transfer your credit history to the U.S. -- they approve you for one card based on your Canadian history with them. Once you got that first Amex, they won't base anything else on your Canadian history, so you are on your own. Having and using multiple cards (from multiple issuers) should, I suspect, improve your U.S. history faster than just using one card.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1359 posts
992 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
bend3r wrote:
This I can understand. Perhaps a future move to US and taking a mortgage etc.

But I do have a question here. AMEX/HSBC can transfer your credit history to US - so does it matter in this case :) The only downside I see is that with TD card, the history build can be used with any other bank in US. With HSBC I am pretty much stuck with HSBC.
As the other person quoted you, that’s right that they’ll just give you a card based on your prior history with them but can’t actually backdate information to a US credit bureau.

If you decide to do this you limit yourself to only getting a mortgage from the institution which you do business with, and we all know that it may not be the best rate.
Feb 28, 2011
398 posts
232 upvotes
YYZ/YOW/SFO
If you check my post on the other thread (http://forums.redflagdeals.com/us-bank- ... #p29462530)

(search for the post containing "your card is paid in USD and your transaction currency")

If all we look at is cashback and that it costs 0.45% to use visa to convert USD -> CAD:
dining: 2.55%
groceries: 1.55%
else: 0.55%

Depending on how you convert currency, still better than tangerine 2%.
✈️AMEX Business Platinum|Cobalt|Blue Business Plus|US Bank Altitude Reserve|Citi Premier🌍
💳Uber Visa|BoA Travel|TD NA Cash|TD Cashback Infinite|Rogers WE|CTFS WE+Cash Advantage💰
🏦Charles Schwab|Fidelity|Alliant|Ally💸
📱Zoomer $36 4GB|Carrytel $35 75/10🌐
Jul 28, 2015
18 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Jun 16th, 2018 5:01 pm
  • grab a free mail forwarding service or border warehouse parcel service on the east coast. That will be your new US address for footprint
Thanks for your informative post. But which border parcel service did you use? Interested in free/very low cost-no commitment ones.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10684 posts
7091 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
coopercold wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 1:53 pm
Some data:

1. Faxed my application on June 18.
  2. Credit file was pulled on June 19.
  3. Called today (June 20) and they said my application was pending.

FYI: For information about your application, call TD Bank Credit Card services at 888-561-8861 (thanks @titaniumtux), not the Cross-Border Banking line.
+1

Didn't know there was a dedicated cross-border banking line at TD. I think TD offers virtually no hand-holding for their cross-border products available to us, which is why TD Cash is so competitive compared to lousy RBC visa signature black Upside-down Face
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
2060 posts
2043 upvotes
Montreal
titaniumtux wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 8:24 pm
+1

Didn't know there was a dedicated cross-border banking line at TD. I think TD offers virtually no hand-holding for their cross-border products available to us, which is why TD Cash is so competitive compared to lousy RBC visa signature black Upside-down Face
Unlike RBC Bank in the U.S., TD Bank in the U.S. (which is a merger of two U.S. banks, Banknorth and Commerce Bancorp, bought by TD ) is full service U.S. bank serving U.S. customers. It's essentially a separate company, so there is an "in-between" group to facilitate cross-border banking. TD Bank reps don't really know anything about TD Canada Trust and vice-versa, hence the need for a cross-border team. That team is the one that takes care of Canadian customers banking in the U.S. The cross-border phone number is essential for anyone wanting to transfer money North to South or South to North. It's much easier to transfer money by calling in rather than doing it yourself online. 1-877-700-2913
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10684 posts
7091 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
efrant wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 8:42 pm
Unlike RBC Bank in the U.S., TD Bank in the U.S. (which is a merger of two U.S. banks, Banknorth and Commerce Bancorp, bought by TD ) is full service U.S. bank serving U.S. customers. It's essentially a separate company, so there is an "in-between" group to facilitate cross-border banking. TD Bank reps don't really know anything about TD Canada Trust and vice-versa, hence the need for a cross-border team. That team is the one that takes care of Canadian customers banking in the U.S. The cross-border phone number is essential for anyone wanting to transfer money North to South or South to North. It's much easier to transfer money by calling in rather than doing it yourself online. 1-877-700-2913
+1

Except I don't want their bank accounts, only TD Bank's credit card. I can use TransferWise and do banking in the US elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
2060 posts
2043 upvotes
Montreal
mbmbkop wrote:
I just noticed that that 1-855 number on the application form is followed by a note that applicants who are not 21 yet need to fax their applications to [number listed in the OP] :)

While I do not yet have any first-hand experience with this card myself I suggest to actually discuss this in the OP so that people can make informed decisions about whether or not they should follow the OP to the letter... Of course, I am making a wild guess here that most people interested in this card are over 21.
titaniumtux wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 5:31 pm
Product threads aren't a discussion in OP. I posted a recipe known to work. If more confirmed info is brought up in thread, I can add it to OP, as I've been doing.
P.S. I can confirm that the main 855 fax number on the application form works. (The one listed in the OP that also works is apparently for those under 21.)
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
2060 posts
2043 upvotes
Montreal
titaniumtux wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 8:55 pm
+1

Except I don't want their bank accounts, only TD Bank's credit card. I can use TransferWise and do banking in the US elsewhere.
And that's perfectly fine. I was just trying to explain that the reason there is a big difference between TD Bank's card offers and RBC Bank's offers is not because there is no cross-border group at TD, but because TD Bank has to offer a product that U.S. customers would be interested in, while RBC Bank is not competing for U.S. customers, so they really have no incentive to offer something better, particularly given that the cards don't require a U.S. address.
Apr 30, 2018
38 posts
41 upvotes
Alright i was in the process of applying for this card way way way back like in the mid 2017! we didnt have many option in Canada for a non FX fee card other than amazon card but hated the mail in statements. I have a cross border US Account, which i use for taking money out of atm abroad, i wanted this Cash back no FX card, but when i called in they REQUIRED a US Mail address, and because of that i decided i wont brother applying if they gonna ship the card there, i guess things have changed now, maybe u no longer need a USA Mail address and they are willing to ship it like they have for their Cross borders account.

Right now i have the Home trust preferred which gives me 1%, this TD cash back card also gives 1% but u will be billed in USD. Unless u have USD dollar income, or u plan to move to USA in the future so u wanna get head start with US credit history, or u have business or property in the usa, it really doesn't make sense. Why not just get a Home Trust Visa, or a WE Rogers MC? instead of converting CAD -> USD ur gonna lost on the exchange rate anyways.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10684 posts
7091 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
efrant wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 9:04 pm

P.S. I can confirm that the main 855 fax number on the application form works. (The one listed in the OP that also works is apparently for those under 21.)
Ty for confirming. Updated OP.
efrant wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 9:11 pm
And that's perfectly fine. I was just trying to explain that the reason there is a big difference between TD Bank's card offers and RBC Bank's offers is not because there is no cross-border group at TD, but because TD Bank has to offer a product that U.S. customers would be interested in, while RBC Bank is not competing for U.S. customers, so they really have no incentive to offer something better, particularly given that the cards don't require a U.S. address.
+1

I agree that TD's cross-border products are indeed competitive because they're the same products that are marketed to compete for US market share.
Takashi123 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 9:25 pm
Alright i was in the process of applying for this card way way way back like in the mid 2017! we didnt have many option in Canada for a non FX fee card other than amazon card but hated the mail in statements. I have a cross border US Account, which i use for taking money out of atm abroad, i wanted this Cash back no FX card, but when i called in they REQUIRED a US Mail address, and because of that i decided i wont brother applying if they gonna ship the card there, i guess things have changed now, maybe u no longer need a USA Mail address and they are willing to ship it like they have for their Cross borders account.

Right now i have the Home trust preferred which gives me 1%, this TD cash back card also gives 1% but u will be billed in USD. Unless u have USD dollar income, or u plan to move to USA in the future so u wanna get head start with US credit history, or u have business or property in the usa, it really doesn't make sense. Why not just get a Home Trust Visa, or a WE Rogers MC? instead of converting CAD -> USD ur gonna lost on the exchange rate anyways.

Read OP. Yes they'll mail the card to you in Canada. Put a free US mail forwarding address for footprint and they can still mail you to Canadian address if you check off the right box on the form.
  1. merchant acceptance. Your HomeTrust Preferred and Rogers MC WE are Casadian-issued, meaning certain picky merchants may reject them
  2. accelerators. Neither Rogers nor HomeTrust will give you 3% on restaurants
  3. Credit limit. While I don't have Rogers nor HomeTrust for now in my deck, I keep hearing how they're stingy with CL.
  4. FI of choice. TD Bank has great customer service. HomeTrust has many annoyances (can't change the PIN), and as does Rogers (lose hard to FTF on returns).
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2360 posts
952 upvotes
Raincouver
efrant wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 9:11 pm
titaniumtux wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 9:53 pm
I agree that TD's cross-border products are indeed competitive because they're the same products that are marketed to compete for US market share.
I just think because TD is actually one of those big banks. TD USA > Cap1 USA and TD USA also has more assets/cx/branch than TDCT.
2 other CA banks in USA are BMO Harris and CIBC are no where close to TD :)
CAN/USA Cross Border Banking

Netflix? Bill me in Turkish Lira, Watch Me around the world.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
2060 posts
2043 upvotes
Montreal
Data point:

June 8: Applied via fax
June 8: Hard pull on TU Canada
June 11: Approved (called in on June 20 to find out status)
June 21: Card received in Canada
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10684 posts
7091 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
efrant wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 7:51 pm
Data point:

June 8: Applied via fax
June 8: Hard pull on TU Canada
June 11: Approved (called in on June 20 to find out status)
June 21: Card received in Canada
Lucky!!

I applied before you did and am still waiting for my card. Upside-down Face