Tags:
None
Apr 13, 2005
607 posts
410 upvotes
Markham, ON
Mr_A wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 11:02 am
Need some advice folks. I have both SIN and a SSN. Which one should I put or should I put both?
I would assume your Canadian credit history is stronger, so apply as a Canadian.
Oct 16, 2018
183 posts
109 upvotes
Yes. Not only that, if you check US forums, the TD Cash Visa is actually a pretty tough card to get for USians, supposed to require a FICO of 750.

If you have an SSN you shouldn't have any trouble getting your FICO score from the Discover Card tool
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
2178 posts
2182 upvotes
Montreal
RealityBites2 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 2:21 pm
[snip]

...if you check US forums, the TD Cash Visa is actually a pretty tough card to get for USians, supposed to require a FICO of 750.
If you don't mind me asking, to what U.S. forums are you referring? I'd like to do some reading.
Apr 2, 2019
386 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys, just wanted to confirm with you - there are no annual spending caps on this card for groceries/dining, are there?

With regards to my card approval process - I was approved with a 3K CL but never received a card. They say they sent it to my canadian address but... anyway, spoke to a CSR yesterday and it apparently is being re-sent again. We'll see.......

By the way, you woudn't see this card in your online profile beside your checking account until you activate the card, would you? 'cause I can't see it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11044 posts
7587 upvotes
Leask
hotsince83 wrote:
May 8th, 2019 1:49 am
Hey guys, just wanted to confirm with you - there are no annual spending caps on this card for groceries/dining, are there?

With regards to my card approval process - I was approved with a 3K CL but never received a card. They say they sent it to my canadian address but... anyway, spoke to a CSR yesterday and it apparently is being re-sent again. We'll see.......

By the way, you woudn't see this card in your online profile beside your checking account until you activate the card, would you? 'cause I can't see it.
That's right.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Aug 27, 2014
354 posts
182 upvotes
hotsince83 wrote:
May 8th, 2019 1:49 am

The card showed up in my online profile as soon as I got accepted, which was a couple days after faxing the form.
Apr 2, 2019
386 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
LuxErus wrote:
May 21st, 2019 11:43 am
The card showed up in my online profile as soon as I got accepted, which was a couple days after faxing the form.
I actually still haven't received the card! This is messed up, they promised an overnight delivery and not delivered AGAIN. Not to mention its not shown in the online profile...
Aug 27, 2014
354 posts
182 upvotes
I made a purchase in CAD through PayPal using that card and PayPal decided to charge my card in USD instead of in CAD, so they could add their hefty fees to it. There was no option to decide the currency in which my card would be charged and the amount was clearly shown in CAD.

As anyone ever disputed those charges successfully? Their user agreement says that PayPal can charge the card in the currency of their choice if they judge it necessary. I don't see why it would be necessary.

I read that there is a setting to change it in our account, but I did not use any account, I simply paid through a merchant's PayPal platform.

Very frustrating if it means I can't ever use that card for non-USD international purchases through PayPal. What's to keep them from randomly charging me in Zimbabwe dollars while adding a 25% fee because they deemed it "necessary"? It seems to give themselves all powers to do whatever they want.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11044 posts
7587 upvotes
Leask
LuxErus wrote:
May 28th, 2019 11:29 am
I made a purchase in CAD through PayPal using that card and PayPal decided to charge my card in USD instead of in CAD, so they could add their hefty fees to it. There was no option to decide the currency in which my card would be charged and the amount was clearly shown in CAD.

As anyone ever disputed those charges successfully? Their user agreement says that PayPal can charge the card in the currency of their choice if they judge it necessary. I don't see why it would be necessary.

I read that there is a setting to change it in our account, but I did not use any account, I simply paid through a merchant's PayPal platform.

Very frustrating if it means I can't ever use that card for non-USD international purchases through PayPal. What's to keep them from randomly charging me in Zimbabwe dollars while adding a 25% fee because they deemed it "necessary"? It seems to give themselves all powers to do whatever they want.
Strange. I bought an item on eBay in USD, via my Canadian PayPal account with TD Cash, was flawless. Best to contact PayPal.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Aug 27, 2014
354 posts
182 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
May 28th, 2019 1:49 pm
Strange. I bought an item on eBay in USD, via my Canadian PayPal account with TD Cash, was flawless. Best to contact PayPal.
Well this is different, since my transaction was in CAD but PayPal decided to charge it in USD without asking, adding hefty fees for the privilege.

I contacted PayPal by creating an online account and sending a message from there, but hoped to know more about people's experience before potentially escalating things/calling them.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11044 posts
7587 upvotes
Leask
LuxErus wrote:
May 28th, 2019 1:58 pm
Well this is different, since my transaction was in CAD but PayPal decided to charge it in USD without asking, adding hefty fees for the privilege.

I contacted PayPal by creating an online account and sending a message from there, but hoped to know more about people's experience before potentially escalating things/calling them.
Oh. I did not do online CAD purchase with that card via PayPal. Good point.
Nov 9, 2004
162 posts
35 upvotes
LuxErus wrote:
May 28th, 2019 1:58 pm

I created a separate PayPal account with all my US Cards and US address. I have not had any issue this way.
Apr 2, 2019
386 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
hotsince83 wrote:
May 21st, 2019 12:59 pm
I actually still haven't received the card! This is messed up, they promised an overnight delivery and not delivered AGAIN. Not to mention its not shown in the online profile...
Finally the card arrived successfully but only to my american address (previously it was requested to a canadian address twice, and never arrived).

Upon arrival I realized they misspelled my first name on the card, and even though I called in and asked to change it in the system, this card doesn’t show up in my TD App, nor is it visible in my online profile (only visible at tdcardservices.com).

So finally got the card, but its kind of orphaned, with the wrong first name on the plastic and only delivered to the US for whatever reason

Overall service and software quality of TD in the US doesnt even stay close to how things are in Canada... don’t think I’m going to use this card long term...
Apr 2, 2019
386 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
bman95 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 1:58 pm
I've had the card for nearly 3 years and asked for a CLI from the $2,000 I had hoping to pass the signature threshold... they ran a hard pull on both US and canada and gave me $250 increase. What a joke!
Has anyone else had experiences with the CLI on this card?
I’m having a meager 3K CL and based on the above DP I shouldn't hope for much ...
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11044 posts
7587 upvotes
Leask
hotsince83 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 3:35 pm
Has anyone else had experiences with the CLI on this card?
I’m having a meager 3K CL and based on the above DP I shouldn't hope for much ...
Last person to report a CLI was a fairly small amount. If your spend will be >$3k/month on the card, either pay it down early or mix it with other cards to spread usage. The CLI reported incurred a HP on both Canadian and American credit bureaus.