None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1644 posts
802 upvotes
Kanada

TD credit cards discussion thread

Please document the current TD credit card offers in the Thread Summary section below.

Main topics to discuss:
  • Welcome bonus offers
  • Datapoints for new applications and product changes/switches
  • Maximizing card benefits and points redemptions
  • etc, etc ..
Last edited by SnoopDop on Nov 20th, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Thread Summary
TD Cash VISA from TD Bank in the US discussion thread here.

TD pts vs. Aeroplan READ THIS!!!
* Aeroplan is an FFP (frequent flyer program) and each cardholder will value it differently
* TD pts can be redeemed towards cash fare as SCOTS (statement credit on travel spend), towards gift cards, convert to Aeroplan or redeemed as cashback (cashback at huge devaluator)
* Those who value FFP's usually use bank pts such as TD pts for hotels, and FFP's such as AP for flights (better value using TD pts for hotels than to transfer to Aeroplan, but some transfer anyway to bump up their pts balance based on their needs)
* Best redemption value of AEROPLAN include business class, open jaw tickets, adding a stop along the way, mitigating taxes by flying out of the US or other cities, and/or are extremely flexible with travel dates (consider blackout dates, etc.)
* If you are inflexible with travel (hard to pick vacation days at will, have children & travel with them, wouldn't fly business class anyway, can't fly out of the US or another city, etc.) then skip Aeroplan for now. These programs change time to time, so you can revisit every year. Do your research. Run scenarios when looking for flights before you jump on co-branded cards!!
* TD pts redemption value: 0.5cpp on Expedia4TD, 0.4cpp on SCOTS for any 3rd party travel spend, 0.4cpp on gift cards, 0.25cpp as misc cashback, 5:1 transfer to Aeroplan

- added by @[titaniumtux]
1298 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2018
1720 posts
881 upvotes
I’d be interested, shar eypur experiences signing up like IA etc
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1644 posts
802 upvotes
Kanada
I recently switched my two First Class VI accounts to Aeroplan VI but I didn'tget the 15K Aeroplan welcome bonuses, even though it has been more than 6 months since the last time I received an Aeroplan welcome bonus from TD. However the current terms seem to indicate that one must have not held a TD Aeroplan credit card for at least 6 months, which is not my case and which could explain why I didn't get the bonus.

Afterwards, I called to cancel one of my Aeroplan VI cards and was offered 10K Aeroplan miles as a retention bonus. I suspect I was offered the bonus because I put a lot of spend on that account, thanks to the AC Conversion MS bonanza era. Anyways, I accepted the retention bonus but will still cancel the account once the bonus miles are credited following the next statement, so I can prepare myself to make a new application if a special FYF comes around for the Aeroplan VI.

I also switched the other Aeroplan VI account to a no fee CashBack Visa so I can do another attempt at the welcome bonus upon product change after 6 months.
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1644 posts
802 upvotes
Kanada
Yes I will, but I also would like this thread to be a place to discuss and post experiences about using the TD cards on a day to day basis, such as taking advantage of the priority boarding, lounge access and free checked bag that come with the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite and maximizing TD Rewards redemptions through ExpediaForTD.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
3311 posts
1315 upvotes
Toronto
^^ and ^ fight to the death for ownership of the TDCT CC thread.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12667 posts
9564 upvotes
Leask
SnoopDop wrote: Yes I will, but I also would like this thread to be a place to discuss and post experiences about using the TD cards on a day to day basis, such as taking advantage of the priority boarding, lounge access and free checked bag that come with the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite and maximizing TD Rewards redemptions through ExpediaForTD.
Wouldn't that be the purpose of this thread?

Well, it's quite the commitment. @SnoopDop please include the lesser TD CT Platinum cards as well. I grab the FCT and TP (TD pts Infinite and platinum) for the welcome bonuses. Even though the platinum cards don't pay out as much, it's the extra card to chew.

I'd be more than happy to post on this thread, since @SnoopDop you're committing to maintain a TD CT premium cards thread. We'll all benefit from the DP's.
Elfwood wrote: ^^ and ^ fight to the death for ownership of the TDCT CC thread.
🤣
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1644 posts
802 upvotes
Kanada
Original post updated with the Platinum Visa offers
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12667 posts
9564 upvotes
Leask
SnoopDop wrote: Original post updated with the Platinum Visa offers
Thank you OP. Please include "online only" offers (can add YMMV), since TD rather offer their best WB's on fresh applications (although online apps probably only works properly for those with some sort of footprint at TD CT, ironically).

Would like to share my DP. Got basic rewards card product changed to FCT, and got the "online only" deal. Was a hassle, but it can be done.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1523 posts
78 upvotes
Got the FREE AF for the TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite because of the All Inclusive Bank account in year 2016 but this card has been sitting in the drawer for the past years. In order to keep the TD points that I got from this card, I assume that I better to do a product switch to the Basic card, right? Then just wondering if I can get another FREE AF premium card (e.g. TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite) to get the bonus points. Have anyone done this? Just wondering.... Thanks. Hate to cancel this card and lose those points....
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12667 posts
9564 upvotes
Leask
sunchaser53 wrote: Got the FREE AF for the TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite because of the All Inclusive Bank account in year 2016 but this card has been sitting in the drawer for the past years. In order to keep the TD points that I got from this card, I assume that I better to do a product switch to the Basic card, right? Then just wondering if I can get another FREE AF premium card (e.g. TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite) to get the bonus points. Have anyone done this? Just wondering.... Thanks. Hate to cancel this card and lose those points....
You certainly can.
Aug 9, 2015
445 posts
255 upvotes
Calgary
I asked in Jerry's thread but didn't get an answer there. If I product switched from FCT to API, does the points expire after x amount of time if not used?

I product switched from API to FCT last November and received the free first year and 50k points already. Planning to book a mini rtw this coming week and would like to switch back to the API for insurance purposes. I know I probably won't receive the 15k AP but that's not a deal breaker for me. The FCT is a churner card strictly for me anyways, pretty much just meet MS and stash.
But at what cost
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1644 posts
802 upvotes
Kanada
kukayla wrote: I asked in Jerry's thread but didn't get an answer there. If I product switched from FCT to API, does the points expire after x amount of time if not used?

I product switched from API to FCT last November and received the free first year and 50k points already. Planning to book a mini rtw this coming week and would like to switch back to the API for insurance purposes. I know I probably won't receive the 15k AP but that's not a deal breaker for me. The FCT is a churner card strictly for me anyways, pretty much just meet MS and stash.
The FCT points will expire within a certain number of days afterthe switch (30 or 60?) you will be duly informed about that on the phone by the agent processing your switch request
Aug 9, 2015
445 posts
255 upvotes
Calgary
SnoopDop wrote: The FCT points will expire within a certain number of days afterthe switch (30 or 60?) you will be duly informed about that on the phone by the agent processing your switch request
Thanks Snoop. I'll give TD a call tomorrow and find out. Will end up booking with the points anyways before I take off.
But at what cost
Dec 9, 2007
437 posts
44 upvotes
I dont have a TD bank account, and never had a TD credit card..

Just wondering if TD points are better than aeroplan points? Which is the recommended card to start with?
RFD makes me :lol: