• Jul 13th, 2020 2:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2546 posts
233 upvotes
Calgary
DevenP097 wrote: Depends on your needs, personally I would do a product switch... TD is pretty good with giving you the signup bonus when you do a product switch, aslong as you have had the card for 6 months.
ie. you can go TD Aeroplan VI to TD FCT VI and collect the signup bonus; or the otherway around.

Ricky from Prince of Travel has a pretty good write up on it here: https://princeoftravel.com/blog/all-abo ... -switching
Can I PS from TDAP to TDFCTVI and get 10% promo?
Jul 8, 2013
244 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal
Hi,

I have TD First Class Visa.
It says "Anniversary Bonus of 20,000 TD points when you keep your Account open, active and in good standing for 12 months after Account opening".

I have first-year-free. Will I be charged the Annual Fee if I try and wait for the 20,000TD points? I assume this is a bait to charge you the annual fee no? It's not like they give you the 20,000 bonus points the day before the annual fee is charged right?
Nov 29, 2017
147 posts
61 upvotes
dbzkid777 wrote: Hi,

It says "Anniversary Bonus of 20,000 TD points when you keep your Account open, active and in good standing for 12 months after Account opening".

I have first-year-free. Will I be charged the Annual Fee if I try and wait for the 20,000TD points? I assume this is a bait to charge you the annual fee no? It's not like they give you the 20,000 bonus points the day before the annual fee is charged right?
You are absolutely correct!
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12814 posts
9784 upvotes
Leask
dbzkid777 wrote: Hi,

kcmcheung wrote: You are absolutely correct!
@dbzkid777 you can take the bonus pts, incur AF, then downgrade the next day to basic Rewards card and get most of the AF charge reimbursed.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Nov 29, 2011
793 posts
826 upvotes
bylo wrote: If you want to keep a TD AVI or FCT card for another year without paying the AF, try an argument like, "My <card name> is coming up for renewal. Given all the travel restrictions in a COVID-19 world it's awfully hard for me to justify paying an annual fee on a travel card when I won't be able to benefit from any of its travel-related features, probably for the next year if not longer." Pause [for 21 seconds?] and see what the agent comes up with. If necessary remind them of the emails you've gotten from TD about their commitment to help their customers deal with the financial hardships brought about by COVID-19. If they still won't waive the AF then do a PS to a free card.
disappointed a bit...agent did not offer to waive the fee for a year. only to do a PS to a no-fee card. so i just cancelled :\
Feb 12, 2020
164 posts
138 upvotes
Hey folks,
I'm seeing a number of data points on Reddit regarding TD cards. Apparently people are getting their applications declined based on the active credit cards that they have overall. I suspect that their system just looks for the number of revolving credit accounts that the applicant has open. I say this because those that called in apparently had the TD rep read out the number of credit cards that were showing on the latest credit inquiry and eventually the applications were turned down.
The users that reported this hold 10+ credit cards.

This may be TD's way of managing risk in response to the economic downturn and while there are more grave issues at hand in the world, it is nonetheless really bad news for me as I have many keeper cards or cards that don't see any use that I have left to mature in my credit history.

I'd appreciate a data point from a RFD user that holds many credit cards (12+) who was able to get their TD CC application approved in the past few weeks or in the coming months.
This could really change the perspective of, "if you don't pay an annual fee, just keep the card for the average age of credit".
Apr 16, 2020
95 posts
120 upvotes
junggoo wrote: This could really change the perspective of, "if you don't pay an annual fee, just keep the card for the average age of credit".
There's a difference between keeping a few non-AF cards for AAoA and keeping a lot of them.

Depending on how many new accounts you're opening, you might not need that many keeper cards for the average to stay high.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19736 posts
12861 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Related comments/questions:
1. CK and BNS (both Transunion) show I have a total of 12 cards. But 5 of those cards are closed. If TD has a threshold of 10, is that total, or only open cards?
2. CK and BNS shows my Chase Amazon Visa (R.I.P.) as open even though the card no longer exists and my last transaction on it was in Oct17. How do I get this to show as closed? Or does it even matter?
3. BW (Equifax) shows only 8 cards, of which 7 are open. Why only 8 cards vs. CK's 12?
4. The TU reports show closed cards going back as far as 1975 all with perfect payment records. Does having them on the report affect my AAoA in any way?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
6805 posts
6417 upvotes
The Prairies
bylo wrote: Related comments/questions:
1. CK and BNS (both Transunion) show I have a total of 12 cards. But 5 of those cards are closed. If TD has a threshold of 10, is that total, or only open cards?
2. CK and BNS shows my Chase Amazon Visa (R.I.P.) as open even though the card no longer exists and my last transaction on it was in Oct17. How do I get this to show as closed? Or does it even matter?
3. BW (Equifax) shows only 8 cards, of which 7 are open. Why only 8 cards vs. CK's 12?
4. The TU reports show closed cards going back as far as 1975 all with perfect payment records. Does having them on the report affect my AAoA in any way?
2. You could send in a dispute, to force update the account as closed.
Do you need to? Probably not, especially given the fact that you know 100% that it is in fact closed, as the lender doesn’t exist in Canada anymore.

3. TU will generally always have more accounts listed than Equifax.
The reason being, TU keeps accounts for 20 years after they’ve been reported closed, whereas Equifax will purge closed accounts 6 years after they’ve been reported as closed.

4. Interesting there is accounts older than 2000 on your report, seeing how their own policies state they keep them for up to 20 years.
As long as you’re still being approved for credit, which it appears you are, I wouldn’t worry about it.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2546 posts
233 upvotes
Calgary
Pointseeker wrote: Can I PS from TDAP to TDFCTVI and get 10% promo?
Bump....

and

Can I transfer balance due me from one credit account to another account both at TD without fees.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12814 posts
9784 upvotes
Leask
Pointseeker wrote: Bump....

and

Can I transfer balance due me from one credit account to another account both at TD without fees.
If you mean pay CC with uLOC, then yes, but you'll incur uLOC interest rates.

If you mean from one TD CT CC to another, then no.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Sep 17, 2019
321 posts
305 upvotes
junggoo wrote: I'd appreciate a data point from a RFD user that holds many credit cards (12+) who was able to get their TD CC application approved in the past few weeks or in the coming months.
This could really change the perspective of, "if you don't pay an annual fee, just keep the card for the average age of credit".
My wife was declined twice in the last year when applying for her third TD credit card. She has exactly 10 credit cards (revolving) reporting, and 3 lines of credit.
A week ago I was instantly approved for a TD cash back visa. I have 6 revolving credit cards reporting.
Jun 1, 2015
501 posts
160 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Is there a thread on RFD for the TD cash back infinite 10% visa card promo on now?

I see a locked post on top of hot deals advertising it. Looking for data points on PSing to that card and being eligible (or not) for the 10% cashback offer.

Anyone here try phoning TD rep and asking if they are eligible for the sign up bonus if they PS from the no fee cash back TD Visa for example?
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
10933 posts
2809 upvotes
Scarberia
TD Cashback Visa Infinite ($200 cashback bonus)

FYF

10% on first $2,000 spend

Earns 3% on gas, grocery and recurring bills

seems like a good card to churn after the bmo WE cb card?

TD Cashback Visa Infinite ($200 cashback bonus)

FYF

10% on first $2,000 spend

Earns 3% on gas, grocery and recurring bills

^ do they verify income? thx
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Oct 27, 2012
574 posts
414 upvotes
GTA
RigorMortis wrote: Is there a thread on RFD for the TD cash back infinite 10% visa card promo on now?

I see a locked post on top of hot deals advertising it. Looking for data points on PSing to that card and being eligible (or not) for the 10% cashback offer.

Anyone here try phoning TD rep and asking if they are eligible for the sign up bonus if they PS from the no fee cash back TD Visa for example?
Why don't you just call and ask?

I PSed from a Aeroplan VI two months ago, didn't mention anything about the offer on at the time (6%), and the rep said I would get a prorated refund (forgetting that I did get it rebated), FYF and the promotion.