Investing

TD Direct Investing - download transactions to CSV?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2023 10:43 am
Aug 6, 2008
197 posts
255 upvotes

TD Direct Investing - download transactions to CSV?

For anyone who uses or is familiar with TD DI, how do you download transactions that are older than say 60 days? Doesn't seem to have that option. How does TD DI expect its clients to track and analyze its investments, especially in a taxable account? To manually type transactions from a statement in PDF is a PITA.
9 replies
Sep 12, 2008
241 posts
114 upvotes
Canada
I can't count the number of times I asked TD this question. The answer
was already "so sorry, too bad for you".

You could open all your digital statements and run them through an
OCR program. That's about all I can think of.

It does stink, and it would be very little programming code for TD
to change it, but hey, innovation isn't a big thing in finance in Canada.
Aug 6, 2008
197 posts
255 upvotes
shplad wrote: I can't count the number of times I asked TD this question. The answer
was already "so sorry, too bad for you".

You could open all your digital statements and run them through an
OCR program. That's about all I can think of.

It does stink, and it would be very little programming code for TD
to change it, but hey, innovation isn't a big thing in finance in Canada.
It's not a finance in Canada thing. It's a TD Direct Investing thing. I also use RBC Direct Investing, BMO Investorline and Questrade. All these brokerages lets you download transactions quickly and easily to a .CSV file. I don't know how TD DI stays in business.
Oct 27, 2003
318 posts
69 upvotes
Replying to an old thread & referencing an even older one!

I found this option described in a reddit post - not exactly what you're looking for but likely the closest to it...
Go to Accounts >> Gain/Loss tab. You won't see all the transactions at first but click on any transaction and then remove the filter. All your transactions should then populate and you can download a .csv file with the information.
A better option than the workaround I had previously described here, https://forums.redflagdeals.com/webbrok ... #p22163009.

HTH!
Sep 4, 2007
611 posts
80 upvotes
Orange Key holder in…
Gursk wrote: Replying to an old thread & referencing an even older one!

I found this option described in a reddit post - not exactly what you're looking for but likely the closest to it...

A better option than the workaround I had previously described here, https://forums.redflagdeals.com/webbrok ... #p22163009.

HTH!
Yup. Works! I downloaded all the way to 2017 for my records (in addition to pdf already have).
Oct 27, 2003
318 posts
69 upvotes
@dvd5 glad it was helpful. Were you able to include Buy transactions? Mine aren't included in this approach for some reason. Maybe as this is intended as a list of gains/losses?
Sep 4, 2007
611 posts
80 upvotes
Orange Key holder in…
Gursk wrote: @dvd5 glad it was helpful. Were you able to include Buy transactions? Mine aren't included in this approach for some reason. Maybe as this is intended as a list of gains/losses?
Oh, I see what you are saying.

I checked and found you are correct that none of my Buys were shown.

Only Sells are shown with number of days held. Also shown are dividends and interests received.

Headings:
Name Settle Date Type Qty Price Net Amount Book Cost Gain/Loss Trade Date Account # of Days Held Currency USD Rate

So, not sure if there's another way to retrieve the Buy information.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10145 posts
6529 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Our bank gives us csv file of prior year's transactions as part of tax file... should get next month.

Does TD not provide same?
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Oct 27, 2003
318 posts
69 upvotes
TD makes a CSV of BUY & SELL translations available for non-registered accounts in once per year, usually in February/March. It covers the previous year, and doesn't include dividends.

To my knowledge they aren't available for registered accounts, but would be very happy to learn I am wrong in that understanding.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2083 posts
1500 upvotes
Toronto
Gursk wrote: I found this option described in a reddit post - not exactly what you're looking for but likely the closest to it...

Go to Accounts >> Gain/Loss tab. You won't see all the transactions at first but click on any transaction and then remove the filter. All your transactions should then populate and you can download a .csv file with the information.

HTH!
Thank you thank you thank you!

This was driving me nuts, you provided a solution.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)