TD eSeries S&P 500 for RESP

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2019 1:53 pm
Aug 23, 2017
299 posts
443 upvotes

TD eSeries S&P 500 for RESP

Hello folks.

Do you happen to know if TD has any eSeries fund for S&P 500?

I tried looking but I only found TPU ETF. Which has only around 27MM of assets under.

Also if one exists, will there be tax repercussions if I am to invest my kids RESP for the S&P 500 eSeries?

I tried looking under existing threads but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks.
13 replies
Dec 26, 2013
543 posts
182 upvotes
Ottawa
kgvaughan wrote: Thanks.

Unknowingly I've already invested in the same after advice from the TD advisor.

All's well folks. :)
a TD advisor recommended e-series to you? When I asked for them she didn't even know they existed, let alone recommend them to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1885 posts
1292 upvotes
Manitoba
Anybody know if CIBC has a similar fund that I can put into RESP?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5865 posts
3138 upvotes
Winnipeg
NeilJasper wrote: Anybody know if CIBC has a similar fund that I can put into RESP?
Not exactly same, but we use this
CIBC Dividend Growth
Lucky Mobile | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Aug 23, 2017
299 posts
443 upvotes
wilyam wrote: a TD advisor recommended e-series to you? When I asked for them she didn't even know they existed, let alone recommend them to me.
Not the first time.

When I was a complete noob (still am), he made me sign up TDB367. Which had a MER of 2.2%.

After some reading on reading on rfd and r/personalfinance, I asked him to suggest a different fund with low fees. And I mentioned my risk tolerance was high.

Then this was recommended.
Nov 21, 2015
181 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
kgvaughan wrote:
Not the first time.

When I was a complete noob (still am), he made me sign up TDB367. Which had a MER of 2.2%.

After some reading on reading on rfd and r/personalfinance, I asked him to suggest a different fund with low fees. And I mentioned my risk tolerance was high.

Then this was recommended.
The two TD advisors I dealt with before only care about meeting their quotas. Their advice were to buy mutual funds over 2.2+ %. Good times and lesson learned!
Last edited by Jackson75 on Apr 9th, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5865 posts
3138 upvotes
Winnipeg
NeilJasper wrote: Thanks! Will check it out. That MER though...
I checked what CIBC has to offer in terms of low MER ETF. Very limited options and seems like they have just started rolling them out as I cannot check the performance.
multifactor-us-equity-etf
Lucky Mobile | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Dec 28, 2010
650 posts
298 upvotes
Yeah exactly, after 8 years I sold all TD900 and TD902's because I read an article of how much money actually is lost due to MER's . Shame I can't find the article anymore but it convinced me to move on and start investing in ETF's. I made a very decent profit from the e series but I know now TD made good profit out of me as well. Money that could have been mine.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
4498 posts
6936 upvotes
Somewhere in AB
Not only the MER but also the super-high turnover. Indicating that it's actively managed. Hard pass.
"You don’t need to sacrifice stability, common sense, and comfort if a 1% bond still lets you achieve your financial goals." M. Housel
Aug 23, 2017
299 posts
443 upvotes
TuxedoBlack wrote: Not only the MER but also the super-high turnover. Indicating that it's actively managed. Hard pass.
Pardon my ignorance. But wouldn't I want a fund manager to keep the holdings active by tracking them and making adjustments accordingly?
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
4498 posts
6936 upvotes
Somewhere in AB
kgvaughan wrote: Pardon my ignorance. But wouldn't I want a fund manager to keep the holdings active by tracking them and making adjustments accordingly?
95% of active managers fail to beat their benchmarked index funds. I don't have the magic ball that tells me who the next @rodbarc is or who the next Warren Buffet is.

If you have the time, then go ahead and do what rodbarc does.

But I'd highly recommend low-cost index funds for vast majority of the people.
"You don’t need to sacrifice stability, common sense, and comfort if a 1% bond still lets you achieve your financial goals." M. Housel

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)