• Aug 16th, 2016 11:10 pm
[OP]
Feb 23, 2017
90 posts
17 upvotes
Oakville

TD First Class vs CIBC Aventura Travel Cards - Opinions based on experience

Hi Everyone,

I am with TD bank, I also have an account with CIBC, but I don't use it, as matter of fact I only have $20 in it, and a $500 credit card with them. With TD, I have the all-inclusive chequing account and a $20k TD Gold elite credit card of which the annual fee is waived.

I need to upgrade my credit card to a travel rewards one, and I am looking at the TD First Class, and the CIBC Aventura travel rewards cards.

Based on the estimated spend tool provided by TD and CIBC, I get different results of how much rewards I can get of each, and the results are bit confusing..

TD Estimate Spend Tool: I just put estimate spend of $1000/month which gives me around $268 of travel rewards.
CIBC Estimate Spend Tool: I just put estimate spend of $1000/month which gives me a maximum of $400 short Canada/US travel.

Based on your experience in terms of having the maximum rewards, which cards are you recommending? Note: I am only asking about these two banks, not other banks, so other banks suggestions are welcome, but they are not the main point of my question.

Thanks in advance..
5 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23598 posts
5301 upvotes
where I belong
Before you begin, check out my CC thread in my signature
I own all the cards

For Travel - I own AMEX Platinum, TD FC, TD Aeroplan, CIBC Aerogold, Cap1 Aspire (grandfathered)

IME, I hate the Aventura card, very hard to use on flights and can't transfer out either
so I'd go for TD FC or TD Aeroplan (when they have good welcome bonus, like $200+ worth)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5179 posts
3434 upvotes
I own the TD first class, can't talk about the CIBC one, but the TD rewards marketplace is easy to use, easy to deal with Expedia for TD, never had a single issue using points on travel purchase, if is that you want to know. Great card, with fees waived when you have the all inclusive account, a $150 value, plus fees waived for your spouse card, another $20
[OP]
Feb 23, 2017
90 posts
17 upvotes
Oakville
Hi,,

Thanks for the replies..

I actually was asking about the rewards themselves and what I can get of each, eventually to compare and then apply for the card with the maximum rewards, I am not really looking to see which is more convenient in terms of use and service
Aug 3, 2013
488 posts
288 upvotes
Durham
harith86 wrote: Hi,,

Thanks for the replies..

I actually was asking about the rewards themselves and what I can get of each, eventually to compare and then apply for the card with the maximum rewards, I am not really looking to see which is more convenient in terms of use and service
For max rewards, Td's card is great only when using expedia for td giving you 4.5% back (9 pts per), whereas using it elsewhere only nets 1.5% (3 pts per).
Sep 6, 2010
762 posts
92 upvotes
Waterloo
harith86 wrote: apply for the card with the maximum rewards, I am not really looking to see which is more convenient in terms of use and service
Well, then that'd be the Aeroplan cards with either banks. Plan the itinerary right (eg. long-haul premium class with stopovers), and the reward value is a worth a lot more than what the First Class or Aventura can offer.

Edit: Although, achieving the points required solely based on spend would be a challenge.