Personal Finance

TD is making changes to their chequing accounts. Are new products on the horizon?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2020 7:04 pm
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
152 posts
43 upvotes
Canada

TD is making changes to their chequing accounts. Are new products on the horizon?

The TD Minimum Chequing Account will no longer let you waive the monthly fee if you keep a min. balance.

CIBC pulled something similar a year or so ago.

Will TD be offering some new products in the next few months?
7 replies
Jul 1, 2006
660 posts
451 upvotes
cheapskatescooner wrote: Did CIBC start offering new products that were better?
They introduced the Smart Plus all you can eat chequing account which includes annual credit card fees waivers among other things. But the main differentiator from the other big banks was that you didn't need to hold cash in the account to waive the monthly fees if you have $100K investments in CIBC Investor's Edge brokerage.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8548 posts
3949 upvotes
Markham
Banks just find different ways to charge: 5000 in chequing,100,000 investment,xxxx in rsp whatever
Feb 13, 2008
533 posts
223 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I am fed-up with TD and their fourth world service. I moved most of my money to RBC. All I have left with TD is one credit card and a savings account worth about a hundred dollars.
Jul 1, 2006
660 posts
451 upvotes
smartie wrote: Banks just find different ways to charge: 5000 in chequing,100,000 investment,xxxx in rsp whatever
The difference with the investments is that I need to hold them somewhere. In my case, I happened to already be with CIBC, so the Smart Plus was a win for me. YMMV obviously.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1442 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
If TD requires me to jump through hoops to waive my fees (beyond a reasonable minimum balance), then I will be closing my chequing which I have had there over 30 years.