Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1415 posts
497 upvotes

TD Options trading

Has anyone opened a TD options trading account recently and managed to get the think or swim platform?
4 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10866 posts
2702 upvotes
Victoria
I believe it's grandfathered now. I believe the platform was owned the TD Ameritrade. It must be owned by the brokerage that bought them out which means TD Canada has limited access to it.
Mar 31, 2013
273 posts
1030 upvotes
Courtenay, BC
If you really want to trade options, I would highly recommend Interactive Brokers....I started trading options with TD direct, but the fees were chewing up my profit, especially the fee charged if/when an option was exercised. IA charges no fee if an option is exercised. If you trade $US options the trading fees can be tiny..$CAN options are $1.25/contract
IA can be a bit of a pain to set up and there is a bit of a learning curve., but once you are set up and get used to the platform it is head and shoulders above TD.....
And, if you ever have a need for $US, they don't charge the typical 2.5 % fee Canadian banks/brokerages like to soak you for.
The only thing I don't like about IA is their statement options, I wish they had an option for a chronological statement (like a chequing statement) ...all there statements break down into the different categories, so if I get behind in putting the info into my accounting software it can be a pain......
Jun 19, 2007
974 posts
1052 upvotes
Halifax
I had this exact problem. I signed up for both that, and TD Advanced Dashboard a few years ago since they were both free, and honestly thought the think or swim was a far superior platform. Unfortunately I never kept up on it, since I only do a few trades per year, and as far as I can tell I no longer have access to it when I tried to get back in a few months ago. I do (generally sell) call options occasionally, and unless your doing heavy research, I seem to manage with Advanced Dashboard.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
itemsale2003 wrote: Has anyone opened a TD options trading account recently and managed to get the think or swim platform?
It depends what you mean by "recently".

I had a cash account with TD Direct Investing (had that account for maybe over 25 years) and decided it might be better to have a margin account with options/shorting available back in April 2021 so I opened up the margin account with options/shorting and transferred my securities from the cash account to the margin account and my friend told me to ask them for/about "think or swim" and when I asked them about it, I was told that it was no longer offered.