Personal Finance

TD partners with Amazon for Shop with Points

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 12:03 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2013
509 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto

TD partners with Amazon for Shop with Points

I just received this email that my card was automatically rolled out this feature but seems like you can enrol via the following link as well. I feel like burning some points this Prime Day (13-14 Oct) considering I can't travel in the near future. I tried to enrol my Aeroplan card as well but seems like it's not part of the program. I would like to use my Aeroplan points as well to avoid expiry.

https://www.amazon.ca/tdrewards

Following cards are eligible and there are no extra fees to use your points as per the Frequently Asked Questions. Let me know if I am missing anything.


1.TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card
2.TD Platinum Travel Visa Card
3.TD Business Travel Visa Card
4.TD Rewards Visa Card

TDemail.jpg


UPDATED: Redemption Value (Regular)

303 Points = $1
10,000 Points = $33
Last edited by roofgoof on Oct 3rd, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 29, 2008
6928 posts
3235 upvotes
Montreal
Thank you.

What value does it give to TD points ?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2013
509 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
cashinstinct wrote: Thank you.

What value does it give to TD points ?

Not sure it varies per card but my card is showing 303 points= $1

I am hoping they will offer a better redemption rate on Prime Day or BF.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
1065 posts
1591 upvotes
BC
roofgoof wrote: Not sure it varies per card but my card is showing 303 points= $1

I am hoping they will offer a better redemption rate on Prime Day or BF.
You can cash out 250 points = $1 using a refundable hotel booking via Book Any Way. No need to buy shit from Amazon.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3087 posts
738 upvotes
Vaughan
So to recap this so called deal is $33 = 10,000 td points. When you normally redeem its $50 = 10,000 td points. That's a $17 dollar loss for every 10,000 points. I mean most of won't or can't travel at the moment, but eventually we will be able to travel. I'll save up my points until I can travel again. Its not like these td travel points expire.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1422 posts
1772 upvotes
roofgoof wrote: I just received this email that my card was automatically rolled out this feature but seems like you can enrol via the following link as well. I feel like burning some points this Prime Day (13-14 Oct) considering I can't travel in the near future. I tried to enrol my Aeroplan card as well but seems like it's not part of the program. I would like to use my Aeroplan points as well to avoid expiry.

https://www.amazon.ca/tdrewards

Following cards are eligible and there are no extra fees to use your points as per the Frequently Asked Questions. Let me know if I am missing anything.


1.TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card
2.TD Platinum Travel Visa Card
3.TD Business Travel Visa Card
4.TD Rewards Visa Card

...
Well, no, you aren't going to be able to use Aeroplan points for this since this is a TD promotion using TD points and Aeroplan points only exist the moment they are transferred to Air Canada - Aeroplan after the statement date on your TD Aeroplan Credit Card. Any promotion for using Aeroplan you'd have to look at aeroplan.com.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3645 posts
3729 upvotes
Vancouver
So the value for the travel reward points is the same crappy value that TD offers for any cash redemption: 1/3 of the value they would have it used for travel.

Maybe with COVID-19 it's better to just take the hit and dump the travel rewards card. No need to spend at Amazon, it's the same value anywhere.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2013
509 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
phuviano wrote: So to recap this so called deal is $33 = 10,000 td points. When you normally redeem its $50 = 10,000 td points. That's a $17 dollar loss for every 10,000 points. I mean most of won't or can't travel at the moment, but eventually we will be able to travel. I'll save up my points until I can travel again. Its not like these td travel points expire.

Well, I posted this as an informational post in the Personal Finance section and not in the Hot Deals section. All I wanted fellow RFDs to know was there is a new way to redeem introduced by TD which some of the people would be interested in. Secondly, this is the points value they are offering right now. They may increase it for special days.

Also as RFDers we need to realize that not everyone has a smart brain and is techsavvy like us, and everyone has their own needs. Some like to Travel and some don't. For some, time is precious and they don't want to jump through hoops or make a call to call centre.

My younger brother likes the simplicity of redeeming. He would always redeem for a gift card or physical product even though when I tell him that points are not valued at the same rate as Expedia. His response is this is the thing I need right now and I am getting it with points so why should I keep on holding them as I can't afford to travel right now.
Sr. Member
Nov 18, 2012
962 posts
559 upvotes
motherofgod

ive had all these worthless TD points for so long. FINALY!
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
13671 posts
11170 upvotes
Leask
This is not the best outlet down the food chain.
  1. Expedia4TD - 0.5cpp
  2. SCOTS misc travel - 0.4cpp (up to $1.2k, then it's 0.5cpp) and this includes fantasy travel
  3. 0.33cpp Amazon shop with points
  4. 0.25cpp misc cashback

Sure, Amazon shop with points redeems at a slightly better rate than cashback, but for small effort, a fantasy travel booking would inflate the statement credit. AmEx Cobalt at times (during promos) can redeem on Amazon spend at 1cpp (SCOTS misc travel also redeem at 1cpp with Cobalt).
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
1065 posts
1591 upvotes
BC
someweirdo wrote: What is this? Google just brings up stuff about Scotland.



What do you mean by this?
Statement credit on travel spend (I think).

Google refundable hotel trick.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
13671 posts
11170 upvotes
Leask
someweirdo wrote: What is this? Google just brings up stuff about Scotland.
What do you mean by this?
rhw123 wrote: Statement credit on travel spend (I think).

Google refundable hotel trick.
This and this!

I coined "fantasy travel booking" so you won't find much by web searching it.
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5197 posts
1988 upvotes
Toronto
roofgoof wrote: Well, I posted this as an informational post in the Personal Finance section and not in the Hot Deals section. All I wanted fellow RFDs to know was there is a new way to redeem introduced by TD which some of the people would be interested in. Secondly, this is the points value they are offering right now. They may increase it for special days.

Also as RFDers we need to realize that not everyone has a smart brain and is techsavvy like us, and everyone has their own needs. Some like to Travel and some don't. For some, time is precious and they don't want to jump through hoops or make a call to call centre.

My younger brother likes the simplicity of redeeming. He would always redeem for a gift card or physical product even though when I tell him that points are not valued at the same rate as Expedia. His response is this is the thing I need right now and I am getting it with points so why should I keep on holding them as I can't afford to travel right now.
But you don't actually need to travel. You just need a travel reservation to redeem against. No need to wait at all.
Jr. Member
Jul 29, 2016
154 posts
113 upvotes
Neither td nor visa asked me if I'm fine with sharing my account information with Amazon.
It's not ok.

Top