Personal Finance

TD: Replace Visa Debit access card with regular debit card (Interac)?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2018 4:24 pm
[OP]
Dec 21, 2007
604 posts
145 upvotes
Scarborough

TD: Replace Visa Debit access card with regular debit card (Interac)?

Just wondering if anyone else has contacted TD in the past about replacing their new Visa Debit based banking card with a more traditional Interac-enabled one. If it is an easy process to switch I'm thinking of calling them next week, given you can't use the Visa debit version to do things like buy cryptocurrency on Quadrigacx, buy lottomax tickets from the OLG site, etc, etc.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
24 replies
Mar 22, 2017
270 posts
237 upvotes
Conundrum1911 wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 11:45 pm
buy cryptocurrency on Quadrigacx, buy lottomax tickets from the OLG site, etc, etc.
Cryptocurrency is dodgy as frak, and if you are too lazy to walk 5 minutes to the store to buy a lottery ticket with cash, you got other problems
Sep 3, 2011
108 posts
42 upvotes
They definitely still have these cards. I closed my bank account with them, but had a CC linked to the account. They mailed me one of those old access cards without VISA Debit to login to online banking for my credit card.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1482 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
As soon as i saw this title, i knew it was about cryptos lol.

Try calling in. I doubt any branches have old access cards.

Couple of yrs ago when they were rolling out visa debit, i insisted on regular debit card because vault of satoshi(another exchange) accepted interac online at the time....
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1915 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My current debit card has another 3 or 4 years before it expires, so it was surprising as hell when scotia mailed me a new one with visa debit saying that my current one is about to expire. Um no, it's not about to expire and I'm not playing into whatever they're trying to push. I have a real visa card, why the hell would I want my bank account linked to visa?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5415 posts
3281 upvotes
nabiul wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 1:45 am
My current debit card has another 3 or 4 years before it expires, so it was surprising as hell when scotia mailed me a new one with visa debit saying that my current one is about to expire. Um no, it's not about to expire and I'm not playing into whatever they're trying to push. I have a real visa card, why the hell would I want my bank account linked to visa?
At least with Scotiabank you can get the Momentum Card, which doesn't have VISA Debit, without any hassle.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3956 upvotes
BC
Conundrum1911 wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 11:45 pm
Just wondering if anyone else has contacted TD in the past about replacing their new Visa Debit based banking card with a more traditional Interac-enabled one. If it is an easy process to switch I'm thinking of calling them next week, given you can't use the Visa debit version to do things like buy cryptocurrency on Quadrigacx, buy lottomax tickets from the OLG site, etc, etc.
Interac lists BMO, Scotia, TD, RBC, and credit unions as participating FI's for Interac Online:
http://interac.ca/en/interac-online-faq.html#faq_248
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
[OP]
Dec 21, 2007
604 posts
145 upvotes
Scarborough
ace604 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 2:54 am
Interac lists BMO, Scotia, TD, RBC, and credit unions as participating FI's for Interac Online:
http://interac.ca/en/interac-online-faq.html#faq_248
Participating yes, but if their debit card is branded Visa Debit then it no longer works. I remember I used to have a regular debit card from TD, but when the new one came years ago I destroyed the old card before I knew the difference.

I guess I'll call them next week and see what they say. Too bad Tangerine doesn't have an agreement with Interac Online either, given theirs is just a regular card as well. Also not really in a rush, but essentially I'd like to have things in order in case crypto hit a new low temporarily.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3956 upvotes
BC
Conundrum1911 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 9:47 am
Participating yes, but if their debit card is branded Visa Debit then it no longer works. I remember I used to have a regular debit card from TD, but when the new one came years ago I destroyed the old card before I knew the difference.

I guess I'll call them next week and see what they say. Too bad Tangerine doesn't have an agreement with Interac Online either, given theirs is just a regular card as well. Also not really in a rush, but essentially I'd like to have things in order in case crypto hit a new low temporarily.
Yep, that is how it works. Co-badged debit cards (Interac+MC or Interac+Visa) won't work for Interac Online.

Those banks listed on the site are your only chances at Interac-only cards working for Interac Online though ... if TD won't give you a new non-Visa debit card then try one of the others listed at the link I posted. Pretty sure RBC and Scotia are safe bets since RBC doesn't have a physical Visa Debit card in Canada (they have virtual ones) and Scotia advertises both co-badged and not options right on their site. Unsure about BMO or the CUs listed.

If you think about it, if everyone just offers a "virtual" Interac debit card you could use your bank account to pay with Interac Online anywhere. Like how an Interac e-Transfer isn't tied to your card at all ... they could have done the same with Interac Online. You should just be able to click your bank's name and login to approve payment.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
[OP]
Dec 21, 2007
604 posts
145 upvotes
Scarborough
Looks like I'd need to open a new account somewhere else if I wanted to do this...Does RBC, BMO, or Scotia offer any 'fee free' chequing or savings accounts these days with no minimum fees?
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TD Canada Trust, I am happy to assist with your inquiry.

I can certainly appreciate the convenience of using Interac online. With a larger majority of merchants accepting Visa as a form of payment, we have opted to support Visa payments as opposed to Interac online. I am sorry to say that at this time we are unable to offer customers old versions of our debit cards. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Followed by:
Hello,

Thank you for writing me back.

Our Small Business Customers have yet to be transitioned to our enhanced Visa Debit cards and therefore would still be able to use Interac online. I apologize for the confusion this may have caused.

Please let me know if I might assist further.

Best regards,
[OP]
Dec 21, 2007
604 posts
145 upvotes
Scarborough
So based on what I can see, only RBC and Scotiabank still support Interac Online? If so, does anyone use them, and know if their savings accounts allow access to that system/method of payment? Ideally if I were to spin up another account, it would be a fee-free one with little to no minimum balance, as it would essentially be an account to move money in and out of. I guess chequing would be fine too (since there wouldn't be much balance, if any), and not sure if there are any promos for either bank right now.

Also any opinions on Scotia vs RBC are welcomed as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2007
1775 posts
299 upvotes
Scotia switched my debit for a visa debit as well, and when I asked to switch back they said all cards are like this now. annoying.
Nov 30, 2011
953 posts
357 upvotes
GTA
Conundrum1911 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 11:03 am
Ideally if I were to spin up another account, it would be a fee-free one with little to no minimum balance, as it would essentially be an account to move money in and out of. I guess chequing would be fine too (since there wouldn't be much balance, if any), and not sure if there are any promos for either bank right now.
You can get a (free) chequing account at RBC by having multiple products. I think you need 3 products. I have the basic chequing account ($4.00 per month), an e-savings account and a no-fee cash back credit card. While the chequing account gets charged $4 per month, there is a same day credit 'multi-product rebate.'
Jul 13, 2009
793 posts
100 upvotes
Called in to get a new one. Was around a year or two ago though.
Cell plans - anything more than $10/gb is a ripoff.