Expired Hot Deals

[TD Bank] TD Rewards: Get $10 back when you redeem points for every $50 Costco Shop Cards + enjoy a bonus 25% off your redemption

[OP]
Feb 28, 2019
37 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto

[TD Bank] TD Rewards: Get $10 back when you redeem points for every $50 Costco Shop Cards + enjoy a bonus 25% off your redemption

Just received an email from TD Rewards:

For every $50 in Costco Shop Cards you redeem your TD Rewards Points for on TDRewards.com, receive a $10 credit on your credit card statement.
Offer valid until June 19, 2020.

For a limited time, use 25% less TD Rewards Points when you redeem for Costco Shop Cards, this also applies to all gift cards through TDRewards.com.
Offer ends Aug 15, 2020.

Term & Conditions per TD Rewards Costco Campaign
Everyone loves shopping at Costco. Share Costco Shop Cards with friends and family. Costco Shop Cards offer a convenient payment alternative for a one-stop shopping experience.

Costco Shop Card Campaign
Offer: Applies to TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite*, the TD Platinum Travel Visa*, the TD Rewards Visa* and the TD Business Travel Visa* Credit Cards Cardholders ("Account") who make a qualifying Costco Shop Card redemption through TDRewards.com from May 25, 2020 12:01am EST to June 19, 2020 11:59pm EST inclusive ("Offer Period"). To qualify, Cardholders of an Account must redeem TD Points or TD Rewards Points for Costco Shop Cards for a minimum value of $50.00 at TDRewards.com during the Offer Period. Accounts that qualify for the Offer will receive $10 statement credit on the Account for each increment of a $50.00 Costco Shop Card redemption made during the Offer Period. There is no limit to the number of Costco Shop Cards that can be redeemed during the Offer Period by an Account. Please allow up to 8 weeks after the Offer Period for the statement credit to be applied to your Account. Your Account must be open and in good standing at the time the statement credit is applied. Offer may be changed, extended or withdrawn at any time without notice. This Offer will be in addition to any other offers available for your Account.
All Gift Cards offered at TDRewards.com are subject to availability and may change without notice. Gift Cards may be subject to additional terms and conditions set out by the third-party merchant issuing the gift card and may be subject to change from time to time. TD is not responsible if a gift card is not honoured for any reason, including if the third-party merchant issuing the gift card becomes insolvent or bankrupt.

Costco Wholesale Canada is a registered trademark of Price Costco International, Inc. used under license. Nonmember use has limitations. Please review Terms and Conditions.
112 replies
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44347 posts
4927 upvotes
Richmond Hill
To save everyone some math, using 250 points = $1 for Book Any Way travel, the $10 statement credit + 25% discount on points works out to the equivalent of $50 in statement credit, in other words, you are getting the same value as spending it on travel, which is a decent deal.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Nov 24, 2014
77 posts
50 upvotes
Some more info for people regarding TD Points: https://creditcardgenius.ca/blog/td-rew ... l-program/

Points are only worth $0.0025 for gift cards normally. For example at regular price it would be $50 / 20000 points = $0.0025 per point. With this offer it's $60 / 15000 points = $0.004 per point

Looking at the link above this puts the value of each point at the same level as purchasing travel outside of TD for Expedia but still under purchasing travel through TD for Expedia.

I always tell people to never spend their points on anything besides travel unless of course they don't really travel. In our current situation of COVID-19 though who knows how long it will be before we can travel anywhere so if you're itching to spend your points for some reason this would be the best current value compared to non travel ways.

With that said, I'm hanging on to my points for the time being.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
2977 posts
2684 upvotes
Toronto, ON
can these Costco gift cards be used for online purchases by non-members ?
[OP]
Feb 28, 2019
37 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
Yes it works for non-members, I did use multiple times.
carmageddon wrote: can these Costco gift cards be used for online purchases by non-members ?
Aug 9, 2012
31 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…
I feel like this is a good out for me as i've been trying to close this card down to gain other CC offers with TD and I don't really travel too much.

The value is slightly less than redeeming on Expedia, but then again, sometimes the flight prices on Expedia are slightly higher....
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
776 upvotes
centre of universe
Wjechong wrote: I feel like this is a good out for me as i've been trying to close this card down to gain other CC offers with TD and I don't really travel too much.

The value is slightly less than redeeming on Expedia, but then again, sometimes the flight prices on Expedia are slightly higher....
Yeah. Just reading that email. And Expedia prices are pretty high.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Dec 22, 2012
419 posts
198 upvotes
Mississauga
Wjechong wrote: I feel like this is a good out for me as i've been trying to close this card down to gain other CC offers with TD and I don't really travel too much.

they do price match flight prices, but yea extra work to get that done
Oct 1, 2018
132 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto

I'm on the same boat. Been trying to spend my points in a reasonable way but everything was horribly valued (except for the switch around christmas which i missed out on)

This may have just given me an out as well
Jan 24, 2010
67 posts
118 upvotes
Vancouver
With my math, it is still 20% less value than booking travel with Expedia, but when will any of us want to do that.
Here is how I calculated:
150000 points = $750 on ExpediaforTD
150000 points = $500 Costco + $100 credit card credit ($600 total value)
Last edited by dealsnipper on May 25th, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2006
1042 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, looks to be decent value for the points. Now I'll wait until Costco has their iTunes cards on sale and my Netflix subscription will be covered a bit longer :-).
Apr 28, 2019
136 posts
130 upvotes
I believe ExpediaForTD translates to 1 CAD per 200 TD Reward Points.

While this Costco deal translates to, 50 CAD (+10 CAD reward) on redeeming 15000 Reward Points. i.e. 1 CAD per 250 TD Reward Points

In summary, expending 25% more points to get same dollar worth if going for Costco gift card, technically.

In practice though, Costco card might be of more utility, than booking a (relatively marked-up) flight on ExpediaForTD in current COVID time.
Last edited by balaca on May 25th, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Public Mobile | Tangerine | HP Instant Ink
Aug 7, 2019
760 posts
265 upvotes
Has something similar ever happened with another gift card (e.g. Amazon)? I don't have a Costco membership so although the redemption rate is better than usual, I wouldn't be able to use them.
Nov 25, 2008
131 posts
155 upvotes
"Accounts that qualify for the Offer will receive $10 statement credit on the Account for each increment of a $50.00 Costco Shop Card redemption made during the Offer Period. "

How does one know if their account qualifies?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7471 posts
4949 upvotes
Canada
DrDoomsday wrote: Has something similar ever happened with another gift card (e.g. Amazon)? I don't have a Costco membership so although the redemption rate is better than usual, I wouldn't be able to use them.
you don't need a costco membership to use their gift cards