• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 11:13 pm
[OP]
Oct 8, 2006
473 posts
243 upvotes
Okanagan Valley

TD Visa Alerts Suspended

Our TD Alerts via email and/or text stopped working a couple of days ago on both our Cash Back Infinite Cards - these are set up on the TD Rewards site...we rely on them for reporting use of our credit cards. Contacted TD today and this is their response.

""I regret to inform you that Visa Alerts has been decommissioned by Visa International as of August 1st 2019. This is a service we are no longer able to offer as Visa International no longer provides this service. This information was provided as part of your July 2019 statement. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

This being said, we do have a service provided through TD called the TD Myspend app. This app was originally designed as a budgeting tool, but also doubly serves as a way for you to keep track of your card usage. I can advise, the app will alert you each time your credit card is used, similar to how Visa Alerts worked in the past.""

Not sure how this will work out but will see
18 replies
May 28, 2012
163 posts
85 upvotes
ONT
""I regret to inform you that Visa Alerts has been decommissioned by Visa International as of August 1st 2019. This is a service we are no longer able to offer as Visa International no longer provides this service. This information was provided as part of your July 2019 statement. I do apologize for any inconvenience"

TD was still running ads this evening during the baseball game...…...…….....
Oct 17, 2014
100 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 10:30 pm
TD MySpend seems to be perpetually stuck in loading/splash screen for me.
MySpend is working fine in the background on my Android cell phone.
When I make a purchase, the alert pops up but to see more details you have to log in to your TD account again (app time out after few minutes).

There is no place to assign email & phone number to each of my credit card and to specify the condition for alerts (card used online/card used out of country/approaching credit limit etc...). MySpend categorizes spending but I don't just do banking with TD only, so the it's quite an useless app.
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2795 posts
186 upvotes
mrct1944 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2019 12:09 am
""I regret to inform you that Visa Alerts has been decommissioned by Visa International as of August 1st 2019. This is a service we are no longer able to offer as Visa International no longer provides this service. This information was provided as part of your July 2019 statement. I do apologize for any inconvenience"

TD was still running ads this evening during the baseball game...…...…….....
I was not getting these alerts. But this happened few times in last year or so. But not it is gone for good. Oh well it was fantastic while it lasted.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
(borrowed)Not enough bans and the howling monkeys start up about them promoting hate and whatever. howling monkeys or hall monitors?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17063 posts
23520 upvotes
ONTARIO
No wonder I have not been getting alerts lately! It would have been nice if they let people know that this feature was no longer going to be a thing.
It was extremely convenient to receive an alert email every time my card was used. Dammit.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2010 posts
1434 upvotes
Montreal
I'm still getting an SMS on my RBC visa for every purchase. (Date, amount, vendor, CC #; all within seconds of purchase)

Was this something different?

Why did Visa supposedly discontinue the service?
[OP]
Oct 8, 2006
473 posts
243 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
FrancisBacon wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 4:16 pm
I'm still getting an SMS on my RBC visa for every purchase. (Date, amount, vendor, CC #; all within seconds of purchase)

Was this something different?

Why did Visa supposedly discontinue the service?
Their response to me was that Visa had discontinued their alert service to TD - I think TD was too cheap to continue the service as all other Visa accounts I have still provide alerts....the my spend app they suggest is garbage....
Jan 21, 2018
847 posts
724 upvotes
Vancouver
The TD agent who blamed Visa International was - well, let's be generous and say "mistaken". The old email alert service was provided by TD through TD Rewards as a means to promote TD Rewards, and TD decided to change it to MySpend in order to promote MySpend.

The defect in the old service was that it did not report transactions on supplementary cards (spouse, kids etc.). However it did support the US$ Visa card.

The new MySpend service does not support email alerts, only app notifications, and you have to install an additional app on your phone. And it doesn't support the US$ Visa card.

For me, MySpend notifications don't work at all. TD customer service was no help. Glad to hear it works for some people. For me it's another Fail by TD.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1266 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
Agree that this is another fail by TD. I'm writing in to complain. Why does every other credit card I have offer text message notifications but TD forces us to install another app?

Also, the MySpend app will not work when i'm in another country and do not have data roaming enabled. Ugh.
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2795 posts
186 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 4:28 pm
MySpend works for me. Android phone.
I think problems is this. Not the app itself.
Scote64 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 10:36 am
The TD agent who blamed Visa International was - well, let's be generous and say "mistaken". The old email alert service was provided by TD through TD Rewards as a means to promote TD Rewards, and TD decided to change it to MySpend in order to promote MySpend.

The defect in the old service was that it did not report transactions on supplementary cards (spouse, kids etc.). However it did support the US$ Visa card.

The new MySpend service does not support email alerts, only app notifications, and you have to install an additional app on your phone. And it doesn't support the US$ Visa card.

For me, MySpend notifications don't work at all. TD customer service was no help. Glad to hear it works for some people. For me it's another Fail by TD.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
(borrowed)Not enough bans and the howling monkeys start up about them promoting hate and whatever. howling monkeys or hall monitors?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1280 posts
512 upvotes
callernamet wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 4:50 pm
I think problems is this. Not the app itself.
That is one of the drawbacks. TD seem pretty keen on having an additional app on my phone. I guess they can't spy on me as much on their main app, as it's a banking app. But maybe MySpend is a personal finance tool provided free of charge, and they can more leeway to sell my data.
Jan 21, 2018
847 posts
724 upvotes
Vancouver
BlueSolstice wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 4:28 pm
MySpend works for me. Android phone.
Phone model? Android version?

Looks like we need to do our own tech support here.
Jan 21, 2018
847 posts
724 upvotes
Vancouver
VertigoM wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 11:40 am
Also, the MySpend app will not work when i'm in another country and do not have data roaming enabled. Ugh.
I think text message notifications would also be pretty unreliable when roaming in another country, no?

I prefer email notification, like most banks do, and like TD did until now. You can can get email on your phone AND on other platforms, as opposed to text messages or notifications that come only to your phone. You can easily have an email create a notification or a text message if you prefer.

TD wants you to install another two apps on your phone just to receive notifications. Notifications that still don't work for me.