• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2017 8:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2384 posts
958 upvotes

TD Visa Infinite and Redeem AP + pay surcharge vs buy ticket outright

I have to get a separate YYC-YVR roundtrip ticket to compliment the YVR-SYD roundtrip biz error fare that I managed to snag. What would you do?

15000 AP + $155 tax in plain old economy with AC. I could use my TD AP Visa Infinite for free 1st checked baggage.

or

Pay $349ish outright for economy with AC. But I would have to ante up $25 for the checked baggage.

The crappy thing for both scenarios is that I'm only allowed 50 lbs for checked baggage since this would be a separate itinerary and not part of my YVR-SYD biz which allows 70 lbs. I don't have any Altittude status.
5 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Gotta do the math between the 2. flight + taxes+ baggage fees+ extra baggage fees or points + taxes+ fees + baggage etc. Only you will know which is better for you.
Know that you will collect miles if you buy the ticket and if you use your card you will get more miles. Use your miles for the flight you will still pay taxes and fees and baggage.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
2041 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
wow... your ticket has been approved? Some people got cancelled.

that's good. You will enjoy Biz for sure. I flew Cathay this year in Biz and worth it..
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2568 posts
3911 upvotes
West
If you calculate it out, your savings using your miles are quite minimal, amounting to $(349+25+25) - 155 = $244. By using 15000 points to cover that $244, you are essentially getting a return of ~1.63 cents/point, give or take. Keep in mind that fares between YVR/YYC are typically much less than $349 round trip, so unless you're travelling at a peak time, you will likely see lower fares pop-up = less return on points.

Personally, I would only go that route if a) you're on a tight budget; b) you will not be flying at all in the next year or two (especially with a carrier that has lower taxes & fees on Aeroplan); or c) you have a huge surplus of Aeroplan points that you don't know what to do with.

On a side note, 50 lbs of baggage is plenty for the average person... Not sure why that is an issue.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2384 posts
958 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: wow... your ticket has been approved? Some people got cancelled.

that's good. You will enjoy Biz for sure. I flew Cathay this year in Biz and worth it..
Yup got ticketed :) I've been in biz before (Eva, AC, OZ, etc). Never been on NH (not that I recall)
Pete_Coach wrote: Gotta do the math between the 2. flight + taxes+ baggage fees+ extra baggage fees or points + taxes+ fees + baggage etc. Only you will know which is better for you.
Know that you will collect miles if you buy the ticket and if you use your card you will get more miles. Use your miles for the flight you will still pay taxes and fees and baggage.
If I have an AP redeemed travel flight and if it's an AC metal, I can use my TD Visa AP Infinite for the 1st free checked bag

As the Primary Cardholder, receive benefits when you travel using an Aeroplan Flight Reward Card redeemed with miles from your Aeroplan account on flights operated by Air Canada®, Air Canada Rouge® or under the Air Canada express® banner:

•One complimentary first checked bag3 (with Aeroplan Flight Rewards)
•Priority check-in and priority boarding3 (with Aeroplan Flight Rewards)
•One annual One-Time Guest Access Benefit3 to an Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge™ (with an Aeroplan Flight Reward)

Phonophoresis wrote: If you calculate it out, your savings using your miles are quite minimal, amounting to $(349+25+25) - 155 = $244. By using 15000 points to cover that $244, you are essentially getting a return of ~1.63 cents/point, give or take. Keep in mind that fares between YVR/YYC are typically much less than $349 round trip, so unless you're travelling at a peak time, you will likely see lower fares pop-up = less return on points.

Personally, I would only go that route if a) you're on a tight budget; b) you will not be flying at all in the next year or two (especially with a carrier that has lower taxes & fees on Aeroplan); or c) you have a huge surplus of Aeroplan points that you don't know what to do with.

On a side note, 50 lbs of baggage is plenty for the average person... Not sure why that is an issue.
Travel is Dec 6 outbound and 19 inbound. So not peak yet? I do have 315k ish AP and counting (used 465k back in May). I guess I'll make up my mind. Also have tonnes of BMO Rewards points. Looked at Air Miles but no flights on 19 work for me.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2568 posts
3911 upvotes
West
Seks wrote: Travel is Dec 6 outbound and 19 inbound. So not peak yet? I do have 315k ish AP and counting (used 465k back in May). I guess I'll make up my mind. Also have tonnes of BMO Rewards points. Looked at Air Miles but no flights on 19 work for me.
6th is definitely considered off-peak, but it's likely the 19th will drive your ticket price up more than anything. If you have that many miles, I would probably just use them, at least for one leg of the flight (the 19th). Rewards are worth $0 if you just hoard them, and not to mention it's likely a large devaluation of Aeroplan miles will happen once AC's contract with Aeroplan expires.