Teaching Jobs at YRDSB and TDSB

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 6:46 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1204 posts
141 upvotes
Markham
lovetolearn wrote: do school boards when hiring look at your transcript?
I've never been asked. They just want to make sure that you have an OCT number which will verify that you have an undergraduate and a B.Ed
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
sparco wrote: What about the peel board? Anyone have ltos or permanent jobs from there?
Second round of postings just went up, so it will be at least one more round until it opens up. If you have French qualifications, then you will be in demand. I teach at an FI school (although I don't do French), and we will need TWO new FI teachers next year due to increased enrollment in the program
babypiglett wrote: Should I put my employee i.d. on my business cards?
Yes. It makes it much easier to request a supply when I have the number. It certainly won't hurt.
Nov 14, 2011
5 posts
1 upvote
Thornhill
Congratulations on getting an interview! ! So good to know at least someone is being interviewed for the job!

May I ask you when you saw the posting for their OT list? This is my first year applying for any school board teaching jobs, and I am sometimes still confused. I've been checking YRDSB's job board since January but did not notice they have a post for supply teachers. Do they post it as the other positions like EAs, Elementary French teacher? (http://www.yrdsb.edu.on.ca/page.cfm?id=rj0000001) Or did I miss anything? Is it posted somewhere else?

By the way, I just want to be confirmed...When applying to be on the Eligible to Hire list in TDSB, we go to the "Elementary Contract & Occassional Teacher Application" tab on the leftside of their employment page, right?

Good luck, jessyjess84!
Thanks in advance for any reply!
Apr 6, 2009
130 posts
10 upvotes
hsuan1225 wrote: Congratulations on getting an interview! ! So good to know at least someone is being interviewed for the job!

May I ask you when you saw the posting for their OT list? This is my first year applying for any school board teaching jobs, and I am sometimes still confused. I've been checking YRDSB's job board since January but did not notice they have a post for supply teachers. Do they post it as the other positions like EAs, Elementary French teacher? (http://www.yrdsb.edu.on.ca/page.cfm?id=rj0000001) Or did I miss anything? Is it posted somewhere else?

By the way, I just want to be confirmed...When applying to be on the Eligible to Hire list in TDSB, we go to the "Elementary Contract & Occassional Teacher Application" tab on the leftside of their employment page, right?

Good luck, jessyjess84!
Thanks in advance for any reply!
I've also been checking the OT list for YRDSB once every week since I graduated last year and they have not yet opened the list up and it's on the right page you are looking at. Not even sure if they will this year since I hear YRDSB is shrinking and don't need new teachers.

With TDSB, yes it is on that page. There's usually only about 2 rounds they do for hiring for the elementary panel very early on in the year so if you're submitting your applications now, it might be too late since I'm not sure if TDSB is doing a second round this year and I'm supposed to hear back by the end of this month if I got on the list or not.
Aug 22, 2012
111 posts
3 upvotes
K-W
jessyjess84 wrote: I've also been checking the OT list for YRDSB once every week since I graduated last year and they have not yet opened the list up and it's on the right page you are looking at. Not even sure if they will this year since I hear YRDSB is shrinking and don't need new teachers...
I don't know about the TDSB, but I too have been checking the YRDSB frequently and can confirm they have not opened up their list. YRDSB shrinking though? I'm curious as to why you'd think that. No board has runaway growth at the moment, but I would bet that any boards that would be growing would be in the GTA or other larger areas. I see them plopping new houses all throughout the YRDSB, but I could be wrong. I do know that rural boards are definitely shrinking...then again, maybe a lot of those boards overhired?

Either way, me thinks the last lifeboats have sailed.

Mr.Gisa
Apr 6, 2009
130 posts
10 upvotes
mrgisa wrote: I don't know about the TDSB, but I too have been checking the YRDSB frequently and can confirm they have not opened up their list. YRDSB shrinking though? I'm curious as to why you'd think that. No board has runaway growth at the moment, but I would bet that any boards that would be growing would be in the GTA or other larger areas. I see them plopping new houses all throughout the YRDSB, but I could be wrong. I do know that rural boards are definitely shrinking...then again, maybe a lot of those boards overhired?

Either way, me thinks the last lifeboats have sailed.

Mr.Gisa
I have 2 friends that are teachers in YRDSB have told me this and someone that works on the board of YRDSB have also told me this. But maybe it is because they've overhired that they aren't opening up their OT list and why it's shrinking.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1204 posts
141 upvotes
Markham
jessyjess84 wrote: I have 2 friends that are teachers in YRDSB have told me this and someone that works on the board of YRDSB have also told me this. But maybe it is because they've overhired that they aren't opening up their OT list and why it's shrinking.
The Secondary panel is shrinking, the elementary panel is still growing.
Aug 22, 2012
111 posts
3 upvotes
K-W
jessyjess84 wrote: I have 2 friends that are teachers in YRDSB have told me this and someone that works on the board of YRDSB have also told me this. But maybe it is because they've overhired that they aren't opening up their OT list and why it's shrinking.
rapsrealm wrote: The Secondary panel is shrinking, the elementary panel is still growing.
Both reasons make a lot of sense to me. Funding might also be an issue? Either way, the list doesn't look like it's opening soon...still, even if it was, the best we could hope for is getting occasional supply work. Not that anyone getting on a list should get LTO's straight off the bat, but I know of a classmate that managed to pull off a 10 month LTO as a fresh grad last year (mind you, this classmate works in a very rural board). The new regulations about LTO interviews have also made a mess of things too for HR. I volunteer with one teacher in the YRDSB who somehow got hired full-time upon graduating 5 years ago. Now, with seniority changes, she's unsure if she'll have anything full-time come next year.

They say these negative periods happen in cycles every so often, but this truly is a very bad time to be a new teacher.
Mar 1, 2008
645 posts
31 upvotes
the meeting for all surplussed YRDSB Secondary teachers was held yesterday afternoon. There will be no school surpluses so teachers will be hired back in order of seniority ie. if you are number 1 on the list they try to place you first and so on. Also these teachers will be topped up before new teacher vacancies are offered. Hopefully all surpluses get placed - I'm feeling hopeful!
Mar 1, 2008
645 posts
31 upvotes
Just heard that an acquaintance who is with TDSB for 5 years got surplussed. Any news from TDSBers out there?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6553 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
Survivor2008 wrote: Just heard that an acquaintance who is with TDSB for 5 years got surplussed. Any news from TDSBers out there?
I heard one elementary school near mine is surplussing 7 teachers and a secondary school not too far is surplussing a ridiculous 17 teachers.
RFD + ME = POOR
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1204 posts
141 upvotes
Markham
jamgyu wrote: I heard one elementary school near mine is surplussing 7 teachers and a secondary school not too far is surplussing a ridiculous 17 teachers.
Are these surplus from the school or board?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6553 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
rapsrealm wrote: Are these surplus from the school or board?
The elementary was from the school and the secondary was from the board.
RFD + ME = POOR
Oct 18, 2009
135 posts
6 upvotes
Milton, ON
I have 1.5 courses in math and looking to do my ABQ in intermediate and senior math.... I know I need 2 full courses or I can take a proficiency test to do the intermediate ABQ but The senior just says 2 full credits. Is it possible to do my senior ABQ in math without having to get my extra 0.5 courses from a university ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5666 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
craiggerz wrote: I have 1.5 courses in math and looking to do my ABQ in intermediate and senior math.... I know I need 2 full courses or I can take a proficiency test to do the intermediate ABQ but The senior just says 2 full credits. Is it possible to do my senior ABQ in math without having to get my extra 0.5 courses from a university ?
I'm not completely sure, I would e-mail the institution your going to do your ABQ at. I don't think it would be too difficult to get a 0.5 done through online courses.
Nov 14, 2011
5 posts
1 upvote
Thornhill
jessyjess84 wrote: I've also been checking the OT list for YRDSB once every week since I graduated last year and they have not yet opened the list up and it's on the right page you are looking at. Not even sure if they will this year since I hear YRDSB is shrinking and don't need new teachers.

With TDSB, yes it is on that page. There's usually only about 2 rounds they do for hiring for the elementary panel very early on in the year so if you're submitting your applications now, it might be too late since I'm not sure if TDSB is doing a second round this year and I'm supposed to hear back by the end of this month if I got on the list or not.
Thank you for the info!

I submitted my application to TDSB in early March...it could be too late already...anyway, I'll just keep positive and keep working on becoming a better teacher. :)
Jul 29, 2006
637 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
At the Peel high school that I am LTOing, 4 are being surplused.
....life needs more green lights.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
3030 posts
348 upvotes
since tdsb secondary panel is surplussing 200+ teachers for fall, anyone know why they're still going ahead with interviews...??
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.