• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2020 5:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41264 posts
6434 upvotes

Team Group Elite Micros SD Card - DOA

So I bought a 64GB Team Group Micro SD Card from Canada Computers Markham location this week Wednesday. Rather I wanted to get a Kingston or Sandisk card, but I was in a rush and the sales guy/cashier at the front sold me a Team Group SD card instead.

This is for my dash cam by the way. So today I decided to format the SD card using my Dash Cam. Followed the instructions and the dash cam still said "No sd card found. Please insert the SD card". Even though the dash cam said formatting SD card and restarting Blackvue, it did not work. Took it out from the dash cam and then plugged it in with a Kingston SD/micro SD card reader. At first it would not recognize and the second time it did recognize and asked me to format. I did not format it, as I wanted to use the latest version of the Blackvue Viewer app to format and toss on the latest firmware on it. Mind you I have not used this dash cam since 2018.

The SD card disappeared from the list of drives. I then tried hooking it up onto other computers and it would not be detected. So I tossed in the 16GB micro sd card into the same Kingston reader which came with my dash cam and boom it works!

Therefore, did Canad Computers rip me off by selling an unknown Team Group Elite micro sd card? Or is this a DOA? I want to return it back to them! Are we allowed to return open SD cards? Sorry, I am not aware of the brand and not sure of the quality. Apologies if I am bashing the brand.
Last edited by djemzine on Aug 8th, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be an Indian.
Dec 10, 2004
12246 posts
1795 upvotes
Kanata
Team Group is not an unknown. I have a couple of Team Group microSD cards, they work as well as the Kingston cards that I own (for raspberry pi 3/4's).
Was it opened? If not, and it was sealed card, I don't see how they ripped you off. DOA cards happen, you just happened to unfortunately get one.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2138 posts
1066 upvotes
London
Have you tired plugging the card in to your computer and see if that will see it maybe ur camera just don't like or don't support a 64 gig card. if it don't work just take it back they shoud exchange it for you for another one cc will also do free rma for u within the first year or so there policy says after that they say the will still do it but u gotta pay for the shipping.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41264 posts
6434 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: Have you tired plugging the card in to your computer and see if that will see it maybe ur camera just don't like or don't support a 64 gig card. if it don't work just take it back they shoud exchange it for you for another one cc will also do free rma for u within the first year or so there policy says after that they say the will still do it but u gotta pay for the shipping.
In my post I did mention that:
Took it out from the dash cam and then plugged it in with a Kingston SD/micro SD card reader. At first it would not recognize and the second time it did recognize and asked me to format. I did not format it, as I wanted to use the latest version of the Blackvue Viewer app to format and toss on the latest firmware on it. Mind you I have not used this dash cam since 2018.

The SD card disappeared from the list of drives. I then tried hooking it up onto other computers and it would not be detected.
Will reach out to CC tmr. Mind you I only paid $11.29 after taxes, but would have been nice if it worked lol. Just caused some frustration on my end.
Proud to be an Indian.
4524 posts
2912 upvotes
Burnaby
djemzine wrote: Team Group Elite Micros SD Card - DOA

So I bought a 64GB Team Group Micro SD Card from Canada Computers Markham location this week Wednesday. Rather I wanted to get a Kingston or Sandisk card, but I was in a rush and the sales guy/cashier at the front sold me a Team Group SD card instead.

This is for my dash cam by the way. So today I decided to format the SD card using my Dash Cam. Followed the instructions and the dash cam still said "No sd card found. Please insert the SD card". Even though the dash cam said formatting SD card and restarting Blackvue, it did not work. Took it out from the dash cam and then plugged it in with a Kingston SD/micro SD card reader. At first it would not recognize and the second time it did recognize and asked me to format. I did not format it, as I wanted to use the latest version of the Blackvue Viewer app to format and toss on the latest firmware on it. Mind you I have not used this dash cam since 2018.

The SD card disappeared from the list of drives. I then tried hooking it up onto other computers and it would not be detected. So I tossed in the 16GB micro sd card into the same Kingston reader which came with my dash cam and boom it works!

Therefore, did Canad Computers rip me off by selling an unknown Team Group Elite micro sd card? Or is this a DOA? I want to return it back to them! Are we allowed to return open SD cards? Sorry, I am not aware of the brand and not sure of the quality. Apologies if I am bashing the brand.
Factor in the time wasted troubleshooting that memory card and the time you spent going to the store (twice: one for buying, another one for getting an exchange/refund) and this card has been pretty expensive for you. Worse if you have to argue to get your refund or CC tells you to resolve this DOA directly with the manufacturer. Next time you might want to go buy at a big chain stores and select well known articles (brands and models). Some retailers and items are not worth the hassle or uncertainty (risk) for saving just a few bucks. Particularly when it's a low cost item that can be found easily and readily everywhere.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32599 posts
6370 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have a pile of dead Team Group microSD cards that I purchased from Newegg. I purchased 10 cards for Raspberry Pis and 4 are dead after a few months. That is a 40% failure rate. I didn’t bother with the warranty since they cost me 7$ at the time for a 16 Gig card

Needless to say, I don’t buy Team Group anything.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41264 posts
6434 upvotes
Gee wrote: I have a pile of dead Team Group microSD cards that I purchased from Newegg. I purchased 10 cards for Raspberry Pis and 4 are dead after a few months. That is a 40% failure rate. I didn’t bother with the warranty since they cost me 7$ at the time for a 16 Gig card

Needless to say, I don’t buy Team Group anything.
Noted haha. Going to be calling the location today and see if I can return it at the RH location instead to save gas and time. If not, I'll just suck up the loses.
Proud to be an Indian.
Jun 15, 2011
41264 posts
6434 upvotes
aviador wrote: Factor in the time wasted troubleshooting that memory card and the time you spent going to the store (twice: one for buying, another one for getting an exchange/refund) and this card has been pretty expensive for you. Worse if you have to argue to get your refund or CC tells you to resolve this DOA directly with the manufacturer. Next time you might want to go buy at a big chain stores and select well known articles (brands and models). Some retailers and items are not worth the hassle or uncertainty (risk) for saving just a few bucks. Particularly when it's a low cost item that can be found easily and readily everywhere.
Completely agree. I was thinking the sales rep was going to offer me a Sandisk or Kingston as I was willing to pay the extra price. However the rep sold me this one instead due to the lesser price compared to the others. I know the onus was on me and I should have asked for a Sandisk or Kingston instead.

I even asked if this is a good brand for dashcams and the sales rep nodded and said yes lol. Way to go! Haha.
Proud to be an Indian.
8297 posts
3751 upvotes
Markham
djemzine wrote: Completely agree. I was thinking the sales rep was going to offer me a Sandisk or Kingston as I was willing to pay the extra price. However the rep sold me this one instead due to the lesser price compared to the others. I know the onus was on me and I should have asked for a Sandisk or Kingston instead.

I even asked if this is a good brand for dashcams and the sales rep nodded and said yes lol. Way to go! Haha.
They probably get higher margin or more commission by selling those cheap but not very well recognized brands
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2397 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
If you're going to go cheap, then buy Eaget MicroSD from Dollarama, $4 for 16GB. I am trying one out now in a Wyze cam and no problems so far. Can it crap out? Likely. I even bought a Eaget 16GB USB 2 stick and I'm surprised how well it works so far. It has lasted longer than some brand names I paid more for... The write times are trash, but it is working solidly on my Sega Genesis Mini running Project Lunar.
In other words, if you buy cheap non-major brand name at CC, might as well go cheaper at Dollarama for the amount of reliability you're going to get.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32599 posts
6370 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
smartie wrote: They probably get higher margin or more commission by selling those cheap but not very well recognized brands
That's counter intuitive

The lower the price the lower the margin dollar and you can't pay commission of there is little money
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7927 posts
4331 upvotes
Alberta
goofball wrote: Team Group is not an unknown. I have a couple of Team Group microSD cards, they work as well as the Kingston cards that I own (for raspberry pi 3/4's).
Was it opened? If not, and it was sealed card, I don't see how they ripped you off. DOA cards happen, you just happened to unfortunately get one.
Never even heard of this brand until this thread.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2138 posts
1066 upvotes
London
jackrabbit000 wrote: Never even heard of this brand until this thread.
they mostly sell ram ssd and sd cards they been around since 1997 there website says but i don't think there product have started getting popular in North America till the last few years.