• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2019 11:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1241 posts
718 upvotes

Tech to Construction

What is required for such a move? I am in my late 20’s with an undergrad in business. I've been with my current company for 2 years now making an average salary in a technology role. It's not much but I am mostly self-managed and work from home occasionally. I don't really enjoy what I do and think it is time to move on to face challenges and earn more elsewhere.

Part of me over the past few years has been thinking, why not construction? I have around 15 years of exposure in the residential construction industry. I have a keen interest in architectural design, both residential and commercial. It is an industry that sees constant demand and the money can be very good depending on what you do. I am trying to get ideas of what such a career, or even educational path would look like, combining tech. experience with no formal experience or understanding in construction. Any ideas?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3644 posts
1188 upvotes
Edmonton
hybrid09 wrote: What is required for such a move? I am in my late 20’s with an undergrad in business. I've been with my current company for 2 years now making an average salary in a technology role. It's not much but I am mostly self-managed and work from home occasionally. I don't really enjoy what I do and think it is time to move on to face challenges and earn more elsewhere.

Part of me over the past few years has been thinking, why not construction? I have around 15 years of exposure in the residential construction industry. I have a keen interest in architectural design, both residential and commercial. It is an industry that sees constant demand and the money can be very good depending on what you do. I am trying to get ideas of what such a career, or even educational path would look like, combining tech. experience with no formal experience or understanding in construction. Any ideas?
I did the jump from University grad into the trades and it's the best thing I have done.

I am my own boss, I choose which jobs to take and when to go on vacation, I negotiate my salary and right now I only work a few months a year and take the rest off. Have a 5 month vacation coming up soon.

Depending on what you goals are, like mine is make 100K+ but after reaching that limit, no need to work and just go on vacation.

Good luck to you!
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Dec 29, 2012
319 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: I did the jump from University grad into the trades and it's the best thing I have done.

I am my own boss, I choose which jobs to take and when to go on vacation, I negotiate my salary and right now I only work a few months a year and take the rest off. Have a 5 month vacation coming up soon.

Depending on what you goals are, like mine is make 100K+ but after reaching that limit, no need to work and just go on vacation.

Good luck to you!
How did you make the jump and what challenges did you face?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1241 posts
718 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: I did the jump from University grad into the trades and it's the best thing I have done.

Good luck to you!
Thanks for the insight. Could you clarify, are you a subcontractor now? How did you get into trades?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3644 posts
1188 upvotes
Edmonton
hydewolf wrote: How did you make the jump and what challenges did you face?
Jump was easy. Quit my government job and get an apprenticeship. Only challenge is getting a blue book, it took a while before my boss would sign me up for one. He knew I would quit when I would get it.

hybrid09 wrote: Thanks for the insight. Could you clarify, are you a subcontractor now? How did you get into trades?
Depends on the job and the position I do. Sometimes u contract, sometimes I don't. got into the trades by applying for a job that offered me a blue book down the line
Mar 24, 2016
352 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto

Good luck to you!
can you elaborate more? what type of construction job you do?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3644 posts
1188 upvotes
Edmonton
bigmancanada wrote: can you elaborate more? what type of construction job you do?
I'm in maintenance now, millwright JM. Butworked construction as a millwright as well before at several plants. It's all industrial