I wonder if we'll see Bluetooth ear buds/headphones soon at Dollarama
Jan 18, 2007
662 posts
290 upvotes
Edmonton
remik wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 6:18 pm
I wonder if we'll see Bluetooth ear buds/headphones soon at Dollarama
I've seen bluetooth headphones at the Your Dollar Store WIth More in the Clareview section of Edmonton. They also have a much broader selection of electronic cables, headphones, screen protectors, and other electronic accessories then Dollarama. I'm not sure if the selection is the same in other cities, but in Edmonton its the best brick and mortar spot to get inexpensive electronic accessories.
Ustauk,
Edmonton, Alberta
Nov 2, 2012
825 posts
1066 upvotes
Winnipeg
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 5:23 pm
I have now received these Humixx wireless chargers and tried them out and 8 can say they look and feel good quality. The packaging is nice and there is Jeff and weight to the charger so it doesn't slide around. The wireless pad is made out of textured plastic that looks good and has a rubberized ring around the top to prevent a phone from sliding.

I was able to charge through my cases on two different phones without issue as long as you somewhat put the centre of your phone on the pad but it doesn't require exact alignment. There is a nice blue LED right along the bottom edge of the charger that turns on when it is charging a phone.

It does seems to charge pretty quickly from what I can observe. It comes with a microusb cable and it sits flush in the port of the wireless pad.

For $9.49, this is definitely a much better wireless charger than the Dollarama cheapo $4 one. For that extra $5.49, you get much faster charging (Dollarama one is only 5 watts vs the 10-16 watts of the Humixx) and the build quality of this one looks to be always better. Plus, the Humixx has overcharge protection which I think the Dollarama one does not have.

Too bad you can't buy it anymore since I bought two of the last few Amazon had and it is not being stocked at the moment.
Nice, glad you were able to grab a couple of them before they sold out. Also good that the build quality, performance, and built in protections are excellent as well.

If I didn't already have so many, I would have picked one up as well. Hopefully they do come back in stock so others can pick them up. That price for a certified Qi charger, that also supports 10W+ fast charging is an excellent deal.
Oct 10, 2015
76 posts
128 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
got a couple at station square burnaby. build quality is better than i expected, although they’re not QC they still charge my xs max relatively quick. they’re not rubberized at the top but they do have a matte finish so they’re not slippery. like someone mentioned with the black one you cannot tell if it’s charging by looking at it as the led light will be covered by your phone however, with the white one the led is bright enough so the whole pad will be illuminated red when it’s not charging and blue when it is. it actually looks quite cool haha for $4 it’s worth it to me.
Jan 7, 2006
456 posts
44 upvotes
TechFundi wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 7:30 pm
No idea how people even find these wireless chargers even useful. I have a brand new samsung wireless charger sitting around since last summer n I never found a use for it.
Save you wear and tear on your charging port, especially with how phones are these days most repairs aren't so easy to diy. You also don't have to worry about what kind of cable your guest has. As long as their phone supports wireless charging you can charge their phone. Thirdly it's just convenient, just being able to place your phone down to charge when it's not it use and pick it up without having to plug it in or unplug it is just nice.
Sep 3, 2012
81 posts
22 upvotes
Kitchener
recordman wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:12 pm
Some wireless chargers don't know how to stop after charging has reached full. It could lead to a warm/hot pad which would lessen the battery life. Someone could report back on this model, or take your chances on $4.
I purchases this unit in the highland Rd superstore mall in kitchener. The unit works well with a quick charge adapter and does turn off when hits 100 percent. Strong enough to charge my s9+ through my otter box case and yes you need to make sure it sit in middle of disk but base changes from red to blue when it is placed correctly. Overall a hot deal for the money.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11350 posts
5450 upvotes
Southern Ontario
TechFundi wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 7:30 pm
No idea how people even find these wireless chargers even useful. I have a brand new samsung wireless charger sitting around since last summer n I never found a use for it.
Sheex wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 3:13 am
Save you wear and tear on your charging port, especially with how phones are these days most repairs aren't so easy to diy. You also don't have to worry about what kind of cable your guest has. As long as their phone supports wireless charging you can charge their phone. Thirdly it's just convenient, just being able to place your phone down to charge when it's not it use and pick it up without having to plug it in or unplug it is just nice.
Both have their pros and cons. FWIW, we've had iPhones since 2008, my kids' iPhones are 4y old, none have ever needed a port repair.

I can say I rarely use my padded standup Samsung wireless charger, or the other ones in the house my wife will use as stands. Since getting a 18W cube+lightning USB-C. I can plug my X in, come back to it in 20min and it's topped up enough for several hours (does 50% in 30min). imho, speed > convenience.
Feb 24, 2004
24 posts
25 upvotes
YYC
FWIW: Used it to test charge an el-cheapo phone for a week and it's now dead. Stinks of burnt electronics so I guess it is officially toast.

My takeaway from this experience: cheaply built with questionable electronics so I would not recommend using it on any phone of value. Corners were definitely cut in the design and manufacture, and one can never say if they left/ built in any protection. At this price it's understandable if quality was not a key priority.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1429 posts
439 upvotes
Winnipeg
Redivivus wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 10:42 am
FWIW: Used it to test charge an el-cheapo phone for a week and it's now dead. Stinks of burnt electronics so I guess it is officially toast.

My takeaway from this experience: cheaply built with questionable electronics so I would not recommend using it on any phone of value. Corners were definitely cut in the design and manufacture, and one can never say if they left/ built in any protection. At this price it's understandable if quality was not a key priority.
What kind of "el cheapo" phone has wireless charging?
Lorenzo
Oct 10, 2014
96 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto, ON
pureenergon2 wrote: I thought Dollarama were "final sale" type stores.
FYI - dollarama had no issue with an exchange since it was a defective unit.
My replacement works well. Happy for what it is.... a convenient charger that isn’t my primary charger.
Jun 7, 2010
223 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
If you need more than one, saw 3 packs for 19.99 of name brand at Costco Ancaster last week
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1868 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
bradinvancouver wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 12:57 pm
If you need more than one, saw 3 packs for 19.99 of name brand at Costco Ancaster last week
What was the name of the charger? Is it not the 2 pack Tzumi that is listed on the Costco website?
Oct 26, 2016
238 posts
79 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 1:26 pm
What was the name of the charger? Is it not the 2 pack Tzumi that is listed on the Costco website?
I am using the Tzumi wireless chargers from Costco. Very happy with them, they quick charge the phone.
Feb 24, 2004
24 posts
25 upvotes
YYC
lorenzo1000 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 12:45 pm
What kind of "el cheapo" phone has wireless charging?
A very well used Nexus 4 that I picked up a few years ago (5-6ish years ago I think). It's my backup/car/modding phone. Works like a top with custom firmware!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2006
1227 posts
304 upvotes
Halton
wow, my phone was hot!... will check the temp when I have time but I left my samsung 8 with Otterbox on the pad, left it for 3hrs and it was very warm to the touch
not sure if it is enough to damage the phone but.. I will be careful leaving it on there for a long time

both the pad and my phone were very warm to the touch

As a comparison, I have a Qi charger from China (smaller, annoying to find the centre so that it charges. written on bottom input: DC 5v/1500mA) and it does make my phone warm up a bit during charge but nothing like the Tech1 unit

edit: clarity